• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Robin L

Master Contributor
18447608_1565929636753229_4559564408425113626_n.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There was an article which I did not read by the local Newspaper to which I no longer subscribe on their webpage for which I have blocked ads about a local rapper who I do not know where my entire interest in the piece was aroused by his name, which I suspect is fitting, perhaps in both ways of interpreting it:

1621070993202.png

Oh, Billie Ellish approved. Didnt notice that earlier, my apologies to her fans above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$not

Ok, that says it is pronounced "snot".

---

Oh yeah, I can see this marvelous new music entertainment that superficially sounds like the same old thing again is not directed at Old White Guy me:

(I'm presuming it didn't improve after the first part)

I will pass on both the show and the meet and greet, and if I go out, I will avoid that part of town where the show is held, just in case.

Maybe there will be a disturbance reported which will provide a nice followup.

---

Here's the venue, Pegasus Lounge

1621072251224.png

Tough business, I ran PA for a little rock band for a while. We couldn't come up with a good name, somebody said "Alias" and we went with that.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am not a fan of country music but I read an article this morning where Alan Jackson is saying the same thing. Country music is gone.

https://popculture.com/country-music/news/alan-jackson-thinks-country-music-is-gone/
I am a fan of a country music and I can tell you that it isn't dead. The past isn't coming back (Merle Haggard, Hank Williams etc.), but the future is yet to be written. All forms of popular culture (of which country music is one) change and evolve. That's the nature of popular culture!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not really just nostalgia.
I try to think of any band that's as good as Nirvana or Radiohead, musicians as passionate as Kurt or Thom, songs as original and touching as they wrote nothing comes close in the past 20 years.
Everything is pretty much average
There's no new OK Computer, no new In Utero.
Nothing that blows your mind and is a true classic.

Nostalgia is probably the right word, as it's (imo) just a subset. My love for classic rock is not nostalgia either, since I wasn't alive at the time. I'm nostalgic for some late 90s bands though that makes me like them more than I probably should.

Edit: @Pearljam5000 meant to say "Nostalgia is probably *not* the right word"

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All forms of popular culture (of which country music is one) change and evolve. That's the nature of popular culture!
It's the nature of any thriving culture, popular or not, soon as it stops changing it's dead and only fit for a museum, or worse, government funded performances.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Rock being dead doesn't mean anything for other genres.
When I was a teenager, my primary interest in music turned to "Classical" genres, Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Bach, etc. One of the biggest virtues of becoming acquainted with defunct musics is the realization that all music genres must pass, all styles of music are temporary, locked into their own time. It's not as if I didn't listen to or enjoy contemporary musics from 1968-1975, but I was aware that musical styles were changing and changing quickly. It's not so much that "rock is dead", it's more like "rock is in the rear view mirror". What's past is past and nothing is about to change that. And if you don't like the new music you encounter, there's a good chance you don't like it because you're old. You can talk about the new music being inferior, but that won't stop other [usually younger] people from enjoying it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You can talk about the new music being inferior, but that won't stop other [usually younger] people from enjoying it.

I argue the opposite. Just because pop is as crappy as it's always been, jazz seems to have pretty much stopped innovating since the boppers died off, and rock is mostly moribund doesn't mean that there isn't an amazing amount and variety of great new music. It's just in different genres than those. I don't mean to imply that there aren't very skilled and enjoyable entertainers in those genres, there certainly are, but the real interesting new stuff is elsewhere.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I argue the opposite. Just because pop is as crappy as it's always been, jazz seems to have pretty much stopped innovating since the boppers died off, and rock is mostly moribund doesn't mean that there isn't an amazing amount and variety of great new music. It's just in different genres than those. I don't mean to imply that there aren't very skilled and enjoyable entertainers in those genres, there certainly are, but the real interesting new stuff is elsewhere.
This is all true for you. But I suspect you have been listening for a long time. You have established a set of templates for what you consider to be good music, and the new stuff ain't it. That doesn't stop other people from enjoying it. This is all attributable to the illusion of time, the notion that things are changing when the thing that is changing the most is you [or me], our particular vantage point determines what we think of as good or bad and most of what we think of as good already happened. The new stuff threatens that.

AtomAmp

Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?
I agree. I feel the same way.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Where on God's earth did I say that? I said exactly the opposite.
" . . . because pop is as crappy as it's always been, jazz seems to have pretty much stopped innovating since the boppers died off, and rock is mostly moribund . . ."
Yes, you acknowledge there's new stuff worth hearing [I would hope so], but you establish that pop is crap [matter of opinion] Jazz stopped innovating since the Boppers died off [again, you don't like Fusion or Free Jazz, I get it] and rock is mostly moribund [rock isn't making money hand over fist like it used to, though there's plenty of rock happening right now, albeit on a smaller scale than in its glory days]. So, yes---you did say it, if not in so many words

Robin L

Master Contributor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just because pop is as crappy as it's always been

I enjoy a ton of modern pop, so to me it's not crappy ;). I like different genres for different reasons. One reason I like pop is because it has a nice repetitive structure that makes it great for casual listening(like right now while I'm typing this). I can spend of few seconds reading ASR, then jump back in to listening, then type a reply, jump back in etc. By contrast, I have a really hard time enjoying classical or jazz music while surfing ASR. I love those genres, but I have trouble enjoying them unless I'm paying attention to the themes and how they're developing.

Top Bottom