• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Review (Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not exactly the same model but...

AB-1226-Phi-CC-Lite-768x373.jpg

1621070351954.png

Filled with resonances as well: (from https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/words-additional-content-room-effects)

phi CSD.png

Attachments

• 1621070255301.png
    1621070255301.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Addicted to music

When looking to buy headphones a few years ago the Abyss model was the one I didn’t even bother to try, based on looks alone, it looked to me to be an instrument of torture (“,)

I'd had a chance to sample the 1st model a number of years back at a HiFi show, needless to say, wouldn't pay for it no matter what cost, didn't agree with me. Also tried a STAX 009 with the most sort after valve amp that I can't remember that had a $1K Alps RK50 pot.... I have to say I was totally disappointed

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The headphone will not remind anyone to Dr. Frankenstein, especially in his incarnation by Gene Wilder. But his monster, Mr. Karloff.
For a $4256 upgrade, they even nail them
to your neck.

SDX-LV

Clealy you can't put a fair price on art :) As much as I dislike this deVice for putting your head in, I understand the business case and the satisfaction it provides to actual customers who are not really critical listeners.

By objective performance measures and reasoning, in any headphones above 1000USD you are paying for economic inefficiencies of low volume niche products, because under ~1000USD you can get most high-tech AirPods Max or plenty top quality dynamic and planar headphones. Even for under 500USD you can get both the build and sound quality. Then with just minor compromises great headphones sell for under 200USD. But people can always dream to have something better... Because you deserve the best and you only live once, right? right?? :)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Because you deserve the best and you only live once, right? right?? :)

I think I'd rather start believing in reincarnation and simply relegate these headphones to my next life instead. ;)

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Unlike many headphones, the premium cable serves two purposes:
I think this omits the zero'th purpose: To extract the maximum amount of money from you.
$3,000 is near insanity. If this is representative of the price/value equation from Abyss it is no wonder the headphones measure so poorly.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Oops. Measurement wise the K371 wipes the floor with this device, for what? 2% of its price?

What really worries me is the strange peak/dip around 400 Hz * (left and right channel differ a bit). Or could this be a measurement artifact due to the very big ear cups?
Let's see: I paid 115 EUR for my K371. That makes about 70 headphones for the price of the abyss including the garden hose respectively "higher end cable". As a plus the K371 would come with three (!) cables each which would result in a total of 210 cables.

The more I think of it the more I am tempted to order some fancy drivers, construct some cups out of carbon fibre material, order some nerdy looking cable and (important) let someone capable of English language (I am not obviously) write down all the marketing BS needed. And last but not least: give it a price tag high enough, that the usual suspects can't resist.

As long as it is at least sounding more or less decent and a few "cheerleaders" will rave it, it will be a fairly safe bet, that it will be a success :p

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
The more I think of it the more I am tempted to order some fancy drivers

Just buy a few pairs of HE400se for $150 off Amazon. Remove the drivers..Repackage in anodized AL CNC cups from your local machine shop. Gold bling trim. Nice $100 leather pads..Price at $6000 with both Balanced and Unbalanced cables. Publish GRAS FR and Distortion measurements...Run 'blind-:A/B listening test against the Abyss. Optional $1000 Mytek Liberty II DAC for essential MQA.. (half-off bundle! Only $500 additional!) Enjoy your trips to the Bank..

Last edited:
Top Bottom