• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

9.4.6 in a 12 ft long x 10.2 ft wide x 9.5 ft high room

Soundmixer

I think 9.1.6 is overkill in the OP's size room. My small HT is 10x13x8', and 7.1.2 is all I needed to fill that room with immersive sound. I would ditch the wides, Atmos nor X supports it on disc. Also, you don't need 6 ceiling-mounted speakers in this size room, there isn't enough separation between the speakers to make a difference.

In this size room, you don't need more than two subs since you only have one row of seats. In my room, I used just one big sub placed midwall front on a 17" stand. I would also recommend using mini-monitors like the SVS prime satellites.

I really do think 9.1.6 is just too much for this size room.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In tune with what @Colonel7 posted, when it comes to the modal region, the more sound sources the better.
Well, the findings in that deck say 4 subs in the corners would be very good for OP's room but 1 under center and one centered behind couch would be very similar in result despite 2 less. 4 at each wall midpoint would be smoother but counterintuitively would suffer noticeably in SPL compared to even 2. More than 4 subs wouldn't add but could detract.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Here's a rough/not-to-scale drawing of the room.

Purple = TV
Green = Floor speakers
Black = Overhead speakers
Red = Subwoofers

Hr5WF0V.jpg
Please take pictures of your room. Pictures take from the back of the room showing the Front then from the front showing the Back of the room and then from each side wall as the drawing doesn't tell me nothing, the idea of the speaker layout looks okay, and never mind the jealous members here, they have wifes, that won't let them freely place speakers all around. Pictures I maybe able to assist you.

No. 5

Well, the findings in that deck say 4 subs in the corners would be very good for OP's room but 1 under center and one centered behind couch would be very similar in result despite 2 less. 4 at each wall midpoint would be smoother but counterintuitively would suffer noticeably in SPL compared to even 2. More than 4 subs wouldn't add but could detract.
It is certainly true that two subs can perform excellently, and that having four doesn't in and of itself guarantee good results, but note that the low frequency efficiency numbers in that paper you linked are normalized figures, and that because the OP's room is much smaller than the one used in those simulations, the pressure region will start at a fairly high frequency which will help deep bass efficiency (this effect can be seen in the response below 8Hz in those graphs, mind you, what's shown there is a simulated ideal). My point was that adding low frequency sources always provides some kind of benefit. That being said, I'm glad you brought it up since it would be helpful for the OP to have some grasp on how sound in small rooms works, so as to not fall into a "if one is good, ten must automatically be ten times as good" thinking.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think 9.1.6 is overkill in the OP's size room. My small HT is 10x13x8', and 7.1.2 is all I needed to fill that room with immersive sound. I would ditch the wides, Atmos nor X supports it on disc. Also, you don't need 6 ceiling-mounted speakers in this size room, there isn't enough separation between the speakers to make a difference.

In this size room, you don't need more than two subs since you only have one row of seats. In my room, I used just one big sub placed midwall front on a 17" stand. I would also recommend using mini-monitors like the SVS prime satellites.

At the risk of being accused of being part of the Buzzkillers ... I agree... Too many speakers. Too small a room. Too close to the speakers ... Effects likely to be lost.
However multiple smaller subwoofers actually and measurably work well/better than a single big, in smaller rooms. it is not a matter of extension but of overall smoothness within the listening space. Of course, there will be more/better extension and less distortion since the subwoofers will be working less.

Andysu

Major Contributor
At the risk of being accused of being part of the Buzzkillers ... I agree... Too many speakers. Too small a room. Too close to the speakers ... Effects likely to be lost.
However multiple smaller subwoofers actually and measurably work well/better than a single big, in smaller rooms. it is not a matter of extension but of overall smoothness within the listening space. Of course, there will be more/better extension and less distortion since the subwoofers will be working less.
Not just distortion does some subs produce harmonic frequncuies? Cos they are being played at levels that are way above what they would be set for a dubbing stage or cinema.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I would personally go with 5.2.4 or 5.4.4 configuration, i have read in Toole´s book, that it is almost comparatebly enjoyable to more complex setups, it seems to me that to have so many channels in the soundbed level could be not worth it in room this small, and perhaps the created soundfield at listening posistions
(couch) could be very hard to make working equally on all seats. Four subwoofers are definitelly the way to go, if you are willing to experiment with the positioning an measurements. Also two are much better than one.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I think coaxial designs are ideal for smaller listening spaces, particularly ones with low ceilings.

Soundmixer

I would go with multiple smaller subs if I had more than one seat to cover. I have just one optimal seat in that room, and that one big sub placed midwall center front and raised 17" measures surprisingly well before EQ. I don't think distortion and extension are a problem with a sealed 15" sub with 1500 peak watts on tap in that small room.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Personally, I think coaxial designs are ideal for smaller listening spaces, particularly ones with low ceilings.
Personally myself I go ebay get some of those JBL cinema bundle that came out that cinema for $3.7 on ebay usa, rather than OP chasing his tail around, can get the real JBL thing that costs far less than going for these dinky home theatre speakers costing far too much and no logic going for the cheaper ones with those rubbish centre channel speakers.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I designed a 7.2.4 in a 10 x12 feet room using 7 KEF LS50s all around and 4 KEF Ci 200RR THX in the ceiling with two subs and the sound is phenomenal!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I designed a 7.2.4 in a 10 x12 feet room using 7 KEF LS50s all around and 4 KEF Ci 200RR THX in the ceiling with two subs and the sound is phenomenal!
My new multichannel virtual Atmos room for my Smyth A16 is 12.1.10 using LS 50 Metas crossed over to an SB 2000 for each speaker plus the Sb2000 as a separate sub. Each channel was adjusted with Dirac Live 3 prior to the binaural capture. Yes, it does indeed sound phenomenal rendered over either HD 800s or LCD X's with a Subpac S2 tactile subwoofer.

And I do have another project coming up.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
My new multichannel virtual Atmos room for my Smyth A16 is 12.1.10 using LS 50 Metas crossed over to an SB 2000 for each speaker plus the Sb2000 as a separate sub. Each channel was adjusted with Dirac Live 3 prior to the binaural capture. Yes, it does indeed sound phenomenal.
What processor do you use?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What processor do you use?
To make the PRIR I used a Motu M4 A to D converter to convert the analog sine sweep from my Smyth A16 Realiser to digital and feed it into my HP Pavillion running J River MC 28 with suitable eq for LS 50 Metas (Maikey 76) + Dirac Live 3 plug in which fed a Dephonica software xover (via its Asio sink driver) with 24 db per octave LR High/Low pass into an Octo Dac 8 Pro (again via its Asio driver) and fromthere to a Purifi Eigentact for the top and also from the Dac 8 Pro via a separate low passed sub channel to the SB 2000. It was done 2 channels at a time, so 12 separate measurements were taken--one for each speaker pair.

Completed room of course rendered on the A16 Realiser.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I would totally do this if I lived someplace where housing cost me over $25/ft^3... and probably a bit less. That is intuition not advice.

hex168

In tune with what @Colonel7 posted, when it comes to the modal region, the more sound sources the better.

@hex168 had a very good suggestion of considering CBT's. At least for the surround channels since you'll be closest to them.
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I, too, was thinking of the proximity of the surrounds.

Top Bottom