• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Measurements Show These Things?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If the speed of electrons is a concern, they should use the smallest diameter conductors they can find,

Robert394

I was just going to post something long these lines and would be interested in an answer also.

Is there a measurement for:

-Sound stage depth
-Sound stage width
-Harshness

I think most/many people who have listened to speakers will have observed differences in the above characteristics between speaker systems... can they be measured though?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just need to know how many more veils I need to lift.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I will take full power frequency response for $100 Alex. I will pass on the "complicated ham sandwich" bonus.

Real audio, not test signals, is bandwidth limited. Square waves, slew rate, etc. complicated ham sandwich measurements. Mathematically its a bunch of sine waves, and they don't have infinite bandwidth, 20KHz, pretty much. Even if the source supports > 20Khz, you will find there is never full power harmonics at those frequencies.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
What measurement shows whether an amp has 'glorious midrange tonality' but 'slightly plasticky treble' ?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the speed of electrons is a concern, they should use the smallest diameter conductors they can find,
Some years ago, there was a fashion for very thin 'speaker cables, and I remember asking one salesman how they could possibly work. His reply was that the cables are so thin, there's nothing to stop the electrons...
:facepalm:
S.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Some years ago, there was a fashion for very thin 'speaker cables, and I remember asking one salesman how they could possibly work. His reply was that the cables are so thin, there's nothing to stop the electrons...
:facepalm:
S.
I found the source book for this idea at one point. Can't remember the title or the author though.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I was just going to post something long these lines and would be interested in an answer also.

Is there a measurement for:

-Sound stage depth
-Sound stage width
-Harshness

I think most/many people who have listened to speakers will have observed differences in the above characteristics between speaker systems... can they be measured though?
These are a combo of room acoustics and speaker radiation pattern. At least at this point it can't be predicted for home listening. If you're building a room from scratch, or a concert hall (or adding complex reinforcement), there is some ability to infer what will happen. It requires detailed measurements of room and speakers.

Blaspheme

Officially by last count, the answer is 23.
For a subjectivist, the answer is asymptotic. For an objectivist, the answer is SINAD. For a classicist, the answer is 7. For an antivist, the answer is K-pop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom