• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s wrong with this set up?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Okay, I’m basing this on Amir’s reviews/measurements, and his more general comments about the limits of human hearing.

You can buy (U.K. prices):

Topping D10 DAC £100
Topping L30 Headphone Amp £130
AKG K371 headphones £100
TOTAL COST £330

And, with a few (very) minor caveats, that’s about as good a sound as it’s possible to get.

You can get ‘better’ equipment if you want ‘better’ figures for bragging rights.

You can argue about the Harman Curve.

The AKGs may not be the last word in comfort.

But that aside, once you’ve spent £330, that’s more or less as good as it gets, and people with DACs, headphone amps and headphones costing £1,000+ each may not getting sound as good.

Is that right? Have I missed something? I’m happy to be shown to be wrong if I’ve misunderstood something, I’m still learning.

As they say, ‘discuss’.

scrubb

Forum Donor
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that system. Everything in it measures quite well. It would only be considered bad by someone who mistakenly thinks they must spend thousands to get good sound. Thanks to this website we know that is wrong.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that system. Everything in it measures quite well. It would only be considered bad by someone who mistakenly thinks they must spend thousands to get good sound. Thanks to this website we know that is wrong.

That’s what I’m thinking.

I just keep looking at it, scratching my head, and thinking I must have it wrong somehow.

RHO

Major Contributor
I listen to a similar system quite regularly (DX3pro + AKG K371). Sounds really, really nice!
Maybe some other headphones sound better. I don't know. My HD6XX sound different. And it depends on they day which ones I choose to listen to. But I wouldn't categorically call it better sound. I enjoy them both just as much.
Compared to some Superlux HD668Bs ... yes, the AKG and Senn/Drop sound better.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

looking at Amir’s review measurements for the AKG vs the Sennheiser, the former appears to beat it in every area.

Closer to Harman and lower distortion.

And yet the AKGs are less than half the price.

RHO

Major Contributor
Closer to the Harman target curve does not always mean it sounds better. It means it closer to that particular target. If you like it when someting is tuned exactly perfect to that target ... well, yes then it will sound better. But some of us just like deviations from that curve here and there. ;) So it depends on your taste and where and how much the deviation from that target is.
The Harman target is a good reference to judge how a headphone will probably sound. It's not mandatory to match it perfectly for good sound.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Closer to the Harman target curve does not always mean it sounds better. It means it closer to that particular target. If you like it when someting is tuned exactly perfect to that target ... well, yes then it will sound better. But some of us just like deviations from that curve here and there. ;) So it depends on your taste and where and how much the deviation from that target is.
The Harman target is a good reference to judge how a headphone will probably sound. It's not mandatory to match it perfectly for good sound.

Agreed.

But here’s the thing, whilst it might not be your preference, if it is close to Harman, it’s probably at least fairly decent.

Reactions: RHO

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Okay, I’m basing this on Amir’s reviews/measurements, and his more general comments about the limits of human hearing.

Topping D10 DAC £100
AKG K371 headphones £100
TOTAL COST £330

And, with a few (very) minor caveats, that’s about as good a sound as it’s possible to get.

You can get ‘better’ equipment if you want ‘better’ figures for bragging rights.

But that aside, once you’ve spent £330, that’s more or less as good as it gets, and people with DACs, headphone amps and headphones costing £1,000+ each may not getting sound as good.

Is that right? Have I missed something? I’m happy to be shown to be wrong if I’ve misunderstood something, I’m still learning.

As they say, ‘discuss’.

Not sure you can get better than that. If you just care about listening to music with with transparent playback and don't want to make headphones a hobby - this probably nails it and you are done. That said, if you want to experiment with "different" (not necessarily better) you can add a good open back headphone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Park the electronics as I think that's entirely correct for the majority of 'phones and users.

Can't comment on the k371 as never heard and unlikely to try as I don't like the smaller cup size personally. But I'll accept they can't sound bad in that or any set up as long as you don't hate bass.

I own a fair amount of headphones and they are mostly EQ to a reduced bass Harman ish set up but I (purely subjectively) believe they mostly still have different characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. As others have said, I'd encourage you or anyone else to try a decent open back set and /or a decent planar too but as a starter for 10, can't knock your stated set up.

Heck, for the k371 you might get to the same place with just phone /PC and a decent dongle for $50 or less.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yeah basically nothing wrong with that setup. If you happen to not be totally happy with the Harman curve, EQ them a bit to taste. Personally I like just a titch less bass myself...

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Topping D10 DAC £100
AKG K371 headphones £100
TOTAL COST £330

As they say, ‘discuss’.

I would even argue that you can ditch the Topping gear and have no reduction in sound quality. External DACs are a waste of money if sound quality is all you're after, as the $9 Lightning adapter sounds exactly the same, and is much more portable.

Top Bottom