• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

InDIYana 2021; Loudspeaker DIY event...

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As of right now, this event is still scheduled for May 2021.

Annually, more often than not, it is held mid-April. We targeted later this year for feasibility due to Covid. Last year was just transplanted for this year.

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Coming up this weekend...

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Well, I have my copy of the disc, so MAC should be getting theirs...

_DS75425.jpg

_DS75264.jpg

_DS75245.jpg
_DS75193.jpg

_DS75565.jpg

_DS75520.jpg

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Surprisingly, not in that large room. We had entries level matched to ~79/80dB all day with -20dB Pink Noise, at the first row of chairs using RTA on Omnimic, or about 10' distance.

The columns/stands below are an MLTL loading for the dual ND91 push-pull pair that give bass into the 30s. They did the whole 3D soundstage really well, and you could tell where stuff was placed in the mix. John did a great job on the passive xover. BTW- He had SL's blessing to build these as a tribute, and they sound great!

bogart

Forum Donor
The scale-model LX521 is hilarious! And beautifully done. Is its SPL very limited?
Totally agree. I could put those in my room and tell everyone they're actually just really far away :) Cool idea and nicely made.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Dang! I didn't realize this thread was here. I would've liked to have made the trip up to meet new folks and hang out. Maybe next year. :/

OP
Wolf

Wolf

This year was a departure, and was held in LaPorte. It's normally held in Ft. Wayne, IN.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@Wolf
Whats that design in the first pic. , first from right side. Looks realy different.

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Meredith brought a single PS220, in the upfiring gray "pawn" you see there. Waveguided with BSC to sound the same via one speaker anywhere in the room. He used a mixer to combine left and right before the amp.
It sounded quite good, considering its foam and cardboard construction. He never fails to surprise me, and never disappoints.

The next one in, in case you didn't know that above was a speaker, was Dan Neubecker's new waveguide-omni design. He's been working on the scope of that design for on/off 12 years. I first saw conical waveguides. Then he was using compression driver waveguides from PE, and then they discontinued them. He eventually found enough to finish the project. As it sits, it has AE TD12H woofers upfiring from the bottom cab into the back of a 12" waveguide. The waveguide entrance is left open, and the front inside stuffed. This eliminated the cone breakup very well. The next section has a prosound B&C 6.5" as the midrange, firing at a convex cone in the same stuffed manner. The top was also rather novel. It had 2 tweeters, both variants of SB 29mm textile, with the front conventionally waveguided and the rear out of phase firing into the back of a waveguide. This yielded a cardioidal lobing pattern to give better imaging to the design. He did this as most omnis don't image very well.
While Dan says they were meant for smaller rooms to allow the tweeters to work properly, with a slight resistor tweak they sounded very good!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Meredith brought a single PS220, in the upfiring gray "pawn" you see there. Waveguided with BSC to sound the same via one speaker anywhere in the room. He used a mixer to combine left and right before the amp.
It sounded quite good, considering its foam and cardboard construction. He never fails to surprise me, and never disappoints.

The next one in, in case you didn't know that above was a speaker, was Dan Neubecker's new waveguide-omni design. He's been working on the scope of that design for on/off 12 years. I first saw conical waveguides. Then he was using compression driver waveguides from PE, and then they discontinued them. He eventually found enough to finish the project. As it sits, it has AE TD12H woofers upfiring from the bottom cab into the back of a 12" waveguide. The waveguide entrance is left open, and the front inside stuffed. This eliminated the cone breakup very well. The next section has a prosound B&C 6.5" as the midrange, firing at a convex cone in the same stuffed manner. The top was also rather novel. It had 2 tweeters, both variants of SB 29mm textile, with the front conventionally waveguided and the rear out of phase firing into the back of a waveguide. This yielded a cardioidal lobing pattern to give better imaging to the design. He did this as most omnis don't image very well.
While Dan says they were meant for smaller rooms to allow the tweeters to work properly, with a slight resistor tweak they sounded very good!

Thx very much! I meant the "pawn". Do you know if there is more info about construction somewhere?

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Meredith doesn't post much, but I might be able to ping him....

EDIT:
Ping sent.

Last edited:

Meredith Cargill

Wolf, Thanks for the notice that Tomtoo is curious. And for the complimentary things you said about it. Having the chance to hear it after hours of listening to all the other speakers, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded.

Tomtoo, I did produce a full write-up, but I have not posted it yet, probably at Parts Express Speaker Gallery.

It is, as Wolf said, a single driver, facing upward, with a deflector over it. Sealed rear chamber. Made of layers of MDF and Ram Board, with the driver's magnet held on a stalk of 3" PVC pipe.

OP
Wolf

Wolf

I have no doubt it would sound good as a pair as well.

Top Bottom