• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The HifiMAN Sundara sounds terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Sundara is now on the same level as the HD6XX. Sennheiser clearly has better engineers.

Stating obvious, but it still very well can be just this one particular pair of headphones... or even ears. :) You said it yourself in opening post, there are plenty of folks who like Sundara’s fine...

devopsprodude

I just used oratory1990's EQ for the Sundara but the 660 S still does everything better without needing EQ. With EQ, the Sundara is now on the same level as the HD6XX.
I boost the base beyond what Oratory's EQ profiles provides. Sundara's soundstage is significantly better than the HD 660 S. Sundara's imaging and soundstage is somewhat better than the HD 6XX.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/sundara-2018
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-660-s
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-6xx

Hifiman's quality control isn't the best, so if you're still having issues with soundstage not being huge after EQ, return them if you can and get a new pair.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 10.32.40 AM.jpg

MorningDew

You should seriously consider that fact that something may be wrong with your individual Sundara. I had to send a pair back because one driver was audibly bass-light and now I couldn't be happier with them. 1000s of people applaud them and they are consistently regarded (and tested) as a very capable and enjoyable headphone. A lesson for me recently was a friend and I trying the same pair of headphones with different pads and coming to exactly opposite conclusions about the quality and quantity of the treble with each installed. Then I broke out my 6xx which I find treble-light and he thought it was sharp in the highs...go figure. For a science-oriented website I think we need to accept there's too many variables here to say that anything just plain "sounds terrible".

OP
G

garageband

Why is the Sundara recommended so much in the $350-500 category? It sounds like a $200 headphone. I can't think of anything that this headphone does well... The treble, mids, bass are all synthetic sounding and 'cheap' if you will.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Why is the Sundara recommended so much in the $350-500 category? It sounds like a $200 headphone. I can't think of anything that this headphone does 'well'...
You have been told why multiple times by multiple members. To no avail it seems you are just determined to trash and badmouth a headset for some personal reason. If you opened this thread just to bash and trash a product? We don’t want that here. If you persist in this manner you will find this thread deleted and your posting privileges limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom