• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer (announced)

stren

Forum Donor
I think these might almost be a perfect size to fit underneath an LS50 that's rotated on it's side. Stack another one on top and set the crossover to max and you've made your own version of the blade ;)

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think these might almost be a perfect size to fit underneath an LS50 that's rotated on it's side. Stack another one on top and set the crossover to max and you've made your own version of the blade ;)
I hope KEF is working on something like that. A new larger LS50W with side-firing woofers (aka Baby Blade). :) The only issue is that we can have this combination now by combining the KEF LS50 with KEF kf92 or kc62. This may be the reason why they will most likely not entertain this idea. :confused:

Willem

Major Contributor
The advantage of separate subs is, of course, that you can choose what size you need, and locate them where they sound best.

bo_knows

The advantage of separate subs is, of course, that you can choose what size you need, and locate them where they sound best.
Yes, way more flexibility with the sub(s). The main issue is the "perfect" integration with the satellite speakers.

stren

Forum Donor

Yes but locating at the same position will enable you to push up the crossover frequency lowering distortion from the LS50. Think of using these as mid bass modules, get a real sub(s) for the very low end ;)

More Dynamics Please

Small 2-way sitting on a 12" bass module is a modern iteration of the traditional big 3-way bookshelf with 12" woofer.

nonametofame

Yes but locating at the same position will enable you to push up the crossover frequency lowering distortion from the LS50. Think of using these as mid bass modules, get a real sub(s) for the very low end ;)

They sounded about the same to me stacked or nearby. With a pair, I'm getting all the output and extension I need. I've experimented with combining "real" subs like the L12s and a ULF15-Mk2, and they don't sound as good. If you need to fill in a massive room, then you can go with JTR or PSA subs if you have music that extends lower than 10hz.

Hart

SVS just announced the 3000 Micro Subwoofer:

Photo:
View attachment 119008

Youtube:
Video overview released yesterday (note, this is hidden from public):
Live-streamed 2 hours ago...1hr discussion with SVS employees:

https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

Specs:
Drivers: Dual active 8" drivers in a sealed enclosure (note: this is not a passive radiator)
Size: Approx 10" cube size.
Freq. Response: 23-240 Hz ±3 dB (standard mode) (this is quasi-anechoic) (NOTE: in-room, it will be deeper)
Amplifier: 800 watts RMS (2500+ watts peak)

Manual:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0921/3560/files/3000_micro_manual_web_07142020.pdf?v=1615574943

Price:
US$800, you can order right away.
At this price point, you can get the new SB-2000 Pro (12" driver, sealed).

Review:
I have a feeling we'll see a review very soon...since we have 3 possible sources that hinted at the upcoming review (with CEA-2010-A data):
1. Erin - already announced that the review *might* happen in April.

2. James Larson from Audioholics said:
"We intend to see for ourselves and show you the results; *stay tuned* to Audioholics for a review of the SVS 3000 Micro."
3. HomeTheaterReview said:
Home Theater Review will offer an in-depth review soon of the SVS 3000 Micro *soon*.

Subwoofer Comparison:
Of course, I'm going to add this subwoofer to my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet as soon as it's released.

This looks exciting, please discuss!
SVS just announced the 3000 Micro Subwoofer:

Photo:
View attachment 119008

Youtube:
Video overview released yesterday (note, this is hidden from public):
Live-streamed 2 hours ago...1hr discussion with SVS employees:

https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

Specs:
Drivers: Dual active 8" drivers in a sealed enclosure (note: this is not a passive radiator)
Size: Approx 10" cube size.
Freq. Response: 23-240 Hz ±3 dB (standard mode) (this is quasi-anechoic) (NOTE: in-room, it will be deeper)
Amplifier: 800 watts RMS (2500+ watts peak)

Manual:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0921/3560/files/3000_micro_manual_web_07142020.pdf?v=1615574943

Price:
US$800, you can order right away.
At this price point, you can get the new SB-2000 Pro (12" driver, sealed).

Review:
I have a feeling we'll see a review very soon...since we have 3 possible sources that hinted at the upcoming review (with CEA-2010-A data):
1. Erin - already announced that the review *might* happen in April.

2. James Larson from Audioholics said:
"We intend to see for ourselves and show you the results; *stay tuned* to Audioholics for a review of the SVS 3000 Micro."
3. HomeTheaterReview said:
Home Theater Review will offer an in-depth review soon of the SVS 3000 Micro *soon*.

Subwoofer Comparison:
Of course, I'm going to add this subwoofer to my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet as soon as it's released.

This looks exciting, please discuss!
Brent Butterworth just posted CEA test results on the 3000 micro, it does not do well at all. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KjlXBWMPAHgU_V9DAHSdIZ_ke0MxwH6ekt3vTIlYOJU/edit#gid=0

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Brent Butterworth just posted CEA test results on the 3000 micro, it does not do well at all. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KjlXBWMPAHgU_V9DAHSdIZ_ke0MxwH6ekt3vTIlYOJU/edit#gid=0
Appreciate the heads up. I've updated my spreadsheet. :cool:

Here it is, relative to all other SVS subs, sorted $-$$:
1621363155902.png

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Brent Butterworth just posted CEA test results on the 3000 micro, it does not do well at all.

Seems reasonable to me? >90dB half space 2M peak output at 30hz+ is probably adequate for low-level(75dB) music listening, and it's an 11" cube... did people think it was going to equal the SVS subs like the 1000 Pro that are 3"+ larger in every dimension and have more driver area?

It's also perfect for buying 3-4 of them and hiding them around the room, which will boost output by 6-9dB.

Hart

Doesn't seem bad - 90dB at 20Hz - no other 8" sub gets close to that except the in wall one with 4 drivers.
The RSL 10S is slightly larger and has one single driver but puts out 11 dB's more, which is very significant. A sub with two 8" drivers with a powerful amp should be in the vicinity of a single driver 10" sub. Even with a smaller enclosure. This is not even close. I think my old 8" Velodyne minivee had as much output with only one single driver and much older technology. I guess I was expecting more with all the hype.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RSL 10S is slightly larger and has one single driver but puts out 11 dB's more, which is very significant.

That sub is gigantic. It is larger than the(13"!) SVS SB-3000 at H: 16” W: 15” D: 16 3/4”. And has considerably less output. It looks like a decent cheap option, but I don't see how you can compare it to something that is 5" smaller in every dimension..

E: If 0.8ft^3 vs 2.3ft^3 is "slightly" to you, then the 3000 Micro is not a product targeted at you lol.

Hart

Seems reasonable to me? >90dB half space 2M peak output at 30hz+ is probably adequate for low-level(75dB) music listening, and it's an 11" cube... did people think it was going to equal the SVS subs like the 1000 Pro that are 3"+ larger in every dimension and have more driver area?

It's also perfect for buying 3-4 of them and hiding them around the room, which will boost output by 6-9dB.
Two 8" woofers have only 10% less driver area than a 12" woofer. But the results are significantly less than that.
That sub is gigantic. It is larger than the(13"!) SVS SB-3000 at H: 16” W: 15” D: 16 3/4”. And has considerably less output. It looks like a decent cheap option, but I don't see how you can compare it to something that is 5" smaller in every dimension..

E: If 0.8ft^3 vs 2.3ft^3 is "slightly" to you, then the 3000 Micro is not a product targeted at you lol.
I have a JL Fathom F113, so no, but the science is interesting to me. Two 8" woofers have a total surface area close to a 12" woofer, however this sub is not even close to a 10" sub's output. I get that the enclosure is very small, however I don't think it lives up to it's own hype.

stren

Forum Donor
Two 8" woofers have only 10% less driver area than a 12" woofer. But the results are significantly less than that.

I have a JL Fathom F113, so no, but the science is interesting to me. Two 8" woofers have a total surface area close to a 12" woofer, however this sub is not even close to a 10" sub's output. I get that the enclosure is very small, however I don't think it lives up to it's own hype.

Yeah I get the driver area is similar. I wonder how much it's the opposing part that makes them worse, or limited xmax, or the small enclosure. Probably all of the above.

FWIW my take from SVS was that it was just good for a small sub. Not that it was as good as their big subs. They didn't introduce any new tech unlike KEF who did their unicore thing and made it sound like performance would be significantly better than you would expect. Like Sancus I wouldn't buy this just for one sub, I'd buy at least two and maybe use them in combo with one big sub to hit the low end.

Hart

It would be really interesting to see how the two small Kef subs test, perhaps the enclosure size is a much more significant factor than driver and amp size.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Driver size might be close, but box size is not. Box size matters, a lot.

Top Bottom