• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cisco Meraki 220 switch modification

Vhond

Has somebody ever modified the Cisco Meraki?

For audio purpose it is considered a good switch:

read more about halfway this page
What is often modified:

– removal of the two interfere switching power supplies
– apply a dc connector for an external 12V PSU
– apply a very big silver capacitor on the main PCB
– apply organic polymer caps on various places on the circuit
– apply RFI shielding material

and sometimes a clock-upgrade
The internal clock of the switch will be removed and replaced by an ultra high precision en ultra low noise OCXO clock.
The clock requires 5V/600mA and will be connected to the main PSU.
An additional dc connector can be placed to enable a seperate 5Vdc psu for the clock for ultimate sonic results.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few delusional people here...

OP
V

Vhond

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I am a network engineer and this is bullshit. Do you have any idea what would happen if network switches wouldn't transmit data accurately and correctly? Besides these devices all have buffers and use checksums so you can detect (and maybe) correct errors.

This is just analog thinking applied to digital systems.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can definately can get an audible improvement by modifying a switch. I have a Dell PowerConnect 2824 switch in my loft (above the master bedroom). This switch is very noisy and could be heard at night from the bedroom. I simply swapped the stock Delta cooling fan for a much quieter Noctua one and now I can't hear it anymore :)

Pennyless Audiophile

But why?

Whatever is on the receiving side will rebuild the transmitted bits correctly unless there is a big problem on the network, and in that case it will be immediately clear by other means.
On a normal network you can copy files bit perfectly, the same happens for audio files, you don't need to upgrade the switch for audio use.
Even streaming doesn't imply that there is continuous flow of data from a server somewhere to your DAC and every bit is played straight away. Streaming is a form of download and what you are playing is a local file (or a local buffer of data) while your streamer/streaming application keeps downloading the file, usually faster than the speed of the music being reproduced. If it is not faster, you will hear unexpected gaps in the reproduction

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My company needs to start selling these upgrades to our clients.

I'm sure it will also make Solidworks faster and more accurate. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom