• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC (with or without Amp) for the lowest amount of money?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello dear Audio Science Review community,
I am looking for a cheap external DAC for my PC, which should cost less than 50 € if possible.

Unfortunately, I have massive background noise on the OnBoard sound chip as well as on the asus xonar dg, probably due to voltage fluctuations. (For the asus xonar dg only on one ear)
That's why I'm looking for an external DAC to handle my Superlux HD668 (56 ohms). In the search I came across the FX Audio DAC-X6 and this forum.
According to the tests, he looks very appropriate for me or does someone have a better idea?

Furthermore, I'm unsure how to connect the X6 to the PC and to achieve the best sound quality.
Either through the SPDIF of the asus xonar, SPDIF of the motherboard or USB?

You note SPDIF is an option, but is that via coax or optical? If the problem is electrical noise on the ground, I'd think optical would be the best option if your USB ports also have that issue. I've often wondered if an inexpensive device like this would reveal that problem and lead folks with this problem to the best solution, if they cannot borrow a USB DAC to check the quality of their ports:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

I had the same problem (though I wouldn't describe it as "massive" but mostly just annoying) with my Asus MB's on board sound. I use a Fiio K1 via USB to drive my desktop speakers and an ODAC to drive my headamp and don't have noise issues with either of them.

Stump909

Don't want to make a new thread, so I'll ask here:

Whats a solid budget amp with a low impedance HP output, line-out outputs, and solid measurements? After seeing the NFB27.38 review, I want to offload my NFB11 before it's value plummets. Need to drive my JBL LSR305's and various cans. DAC wise, it looks like I'll be choosing something from Topping. Thanks!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hi, first post here and just registered though have been reading the pages here for a few weeks already.

I have Weiliang Audio / Breeze Audio E19 DAC amp that cost me like US$50/-. I bought it directly from Taobao ( the giant Chinese web portal). If you get it off Aliexpress, its like US$85/-.

It runs off an ES9028Q2M chip and comes with dual 5534 opamps. You can swap them out yourself and roll on whatever opamp that you like actually and alter the sound signature that way.
Its a pure USB DAC Amp, so will not accept auxiliary line in. Only USB input.

Its supposedly rated at 1W @16 Ohms, but I have never been able to verify it. However, it does drive my HD6XX to levels that are beyond comfortable for my ears. So, the truth is somewhere in there.
Point to note though is that it needs specific drivers for Windows. So best is to ask the seller for drivers before purchase as they are impossible to find on the web.

I've tried it with the Beyer T1 Gen2, Hifiman Sundara, Senn HD800S, MrSpeakers Aeon Open + Closed. All driven without issues at the recent CanJam Singapore. Let the Beyer tech support guy try it too, he was surprised by it and it made the T1.2 sound pretty good for both of us.

OP
J

jbenam

Heads-up for everyone interested in a Topping stack - there's a Massdrop going on right now for both the A30 and the D30 (along the PA3) at a very good price. I jumped on - should receive my A30+D30 in early June. Yay!

Stump909

Heads-up for everyone interested in a Topping stack - there's a Massdrop going on right now for both the A30 and the D30 (along the PA3) at a very good price. I jumped on - should receive my A30+D30 in early June. Yay!
I'm tempted, but based on measurements it seems the D10 performs better...

OP
J

jbenam

Err, I'm not that good (yet) at reading graphs. From what I gather the differences aren't really audible?

I'm not a big fan of the D10's aesthetics, and with the Massdrop price it's a trivial difference between that one and the D30.

Unless it has such massive difference that getting the D30 isn't advisable anymore...?

Stump909

Err, I'm not that good (yet) at reading graphs. From what I gather the differences aren't really audible?

I'm not a big fan of the D10's aesthetics, and with the Massdrop price it's a trivial difference between that one and the D30.

Unless it has such massive difference that getting the D30 isn't advisable anymore...?
I'd wager you're correct. The D10 seems to have slightly less jitter, slightly less noise, and ~22% better linearity. Personally, just the fact the D30 can't resolve a full 16bits would be a deal breaker for me, but that's probably just my OCD nature getting in the way.

OP
J

jbenam

Well, Massdrop took my money this morning - no turning back now! I'll report back in a month or so :) Thanks everyone for your help!

sonci

Top Bottom