• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unexpected result with new dac/amp.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have noticed something with the new RME-ADI-2 Dac. Now that all the gear is getting lots of hours on them, EQ is set according to frequency response of headphones, auto ref is on(automatic controlling of low power and high power modes), cross-feed at 2, Sharp filter, and loudness for low volume bass and treble boost, I no longer fell the need to turn up the volume to get the sound I want. Low volume is sounding good, I actually like it better than moderate volume(well for most music, there are some tracks that just sound great loud). Good for my hearing too. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What did the RME replace?

OP
Rod

Rod

Chinese Xduoo TA-o1. Big jump up.

OP
Rod

Rod

That loudness boost for low volume probably has a lot to do with it. And its really clear at low volume. Problems with recordings are harder to hear at low volumes for me anyway.

Wombat

Master Contributor
That loudness boost for low volume probably has a lot to do with it. And its really clear at low volume. Problems with recordings are harder to hear at low volumes for me anyway.

I miss the loudness-control that was included on older amps. :(

OP
Rod

Rod

Ya its cool to that you can still use the bass,treble control knobs while in low volume and those have parametric control in the menus. So its 5 band plus 2 for the treble and bass controls. This thing is neat.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ya its cool to that you can still use the bass,treble control knobs while in low volume and those have paramedic control in the menus.

Is that the old folks version?

Help, my headphones are stuck to my head, and I can't get up!

OP
Rod

Rod

I haven't laughed out loud like that in a while. Thank you.

OP
Rod

Rod

And I sure messed up that post. I did not delete the first half. Corrected it.

Guermantes

I miss the loudness-control that was included on older amps. :(
I rather liked Yamaha's implementation where you could dial in the appropriate amount.
Yamaha A520 Loudness.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I really like the ADI configurable loudness curve, although it did take me a while to figure out what as a good reference level.

I tried to do it based on speaker / headphone sensitivity purely using math, but doing so made the loudness not kick in enough at soft volumes.

Guermantes

I was just reading the section in the new Floyd Toole book on Loudness controls. They problem is very different than the Yamaha solution.
Can you give us some more info? I suspect it is also not adequately addressed by the Apple Homepod solution.

Top Bottom