• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-end passive bookshelf speakers vs mid-range active studio monitors

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I was wondering how would mid priced active studio monitors like Genelec 8050B/8350A, or Neumann KH310, compete with high end, high priced passive speakers like the Focal Diablo Utopia and Dynaudio Heritage Special etc?
Basically they're both 2-way speakers(except the KH310) that should perform very well.
How and why would these Focals be better than the studio monitors i mentioned? I mean they cost much more so they should sound definitely better.
Screenshot_20210502-013237.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR ( Anti Scientific Reply) :p coming in:

The Neumann KH 310A, Genelec 8351 , JBL 708p will likely wipe the floor with thing with money left for a pair of SVS or Rythmik subwoofers.
Heck, I’d like a blind comparison with a pair of JBL LSR 308 ....

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR ( Anti Scientific Reply) :p coming in:

The Neumann KH 310A, Genelec 8351 , JBL 708p will likely wipe the floor with thing with money left for a pair of SVS or Rythmik subwoofers.
Heck, I’d like a blind comparison with a pair of JBL LSR 308 ....
You could get a pair of Neumann KH420 and several KH750 subs and still have money left.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How and why would these Focals be better than the studio monitors i mentioned? I mean they cost much more so they should sound definitely better
I don't know about Diablo Utopia. I believe that @PierreV owns a pair, maybe may comment on this.

Cheaper Sopra n°1 measure very well, on the other hand:
fr_on1530 (2).png

And IMHO, looks better:
sopra1beige_2400x.png

Regarding this Focal speaker I'm sure it will fail the spinorama test. 2-way without wave guide is a recipe for bad off axis FR.

Measurements from SoundStage seem to show otherwise.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well yes, but where is the Bass? FR drops below 80 Hz. Hey, even my tiny Genelec 8020a offer more bass ...
They don't.
Just about any anechoic measurements from NRC/SoundStage show the same drop off. They advertise them as not reliable under 100Hz.

See the massive KEF R11:
fr_on1530 (3).png

Or Revel F206:
fr_on1530 (1).gif

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about Diablo Utopia. I believe that @PierreV owns a pair, maybe may comment on this.

Cheaper Sopra n°1 measure very well, on the other hand:View attachment 127552

And IMHO, looks better:
sopra1beige_2400x.png

Measurements from SoundStage seem to show otherwise.

Those do actually look excellent, which is surprising for a 2 way with no waveguide. Maybe there's something to inverted dome and grill. Not quite Genelec/Neumann good, but almost.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I was wondering how would mid priced active studio monitors like Genelec 8050B/8350A, or Neumann KH310, compete with high end, high priced passive speakers like the Focal Diablo Utopia and Dynaudio Heritage Special etc?
Basically they're both 2-way speakers(except the KH310) that should perform very well.
How and why would these Focals be better than the studio monitors i mentioned? I mean they cost much more so they should sound definitely better.
View attachment 127548
There's just no comparison between companies that are completely performance oriented and those who are shackled (or protected) by a mostly design oriented customer base.

jonfitch

I think if the directivity of the drivers are comparable, if you were to run room correction on them they should be equally preferable.

For example if you compared say TAD CR1 and Dutch and Dutch 8C and corrected them both with Dirac Live 3.0 could you really say one or the other is the better speaker?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I think if the directivity of the drivers are comparable, if you were to run room correction on them they should be equally preferable.

For example if you compared say TAD CR1 and Dutch and Dutch 8C and corrected them both with Dirac Live 3.0 could you really say one or the other is the better speaker?
Hard to say, Dirac can't make the TAD cardioid/CD like the D&D, nor does it give an integrated subwoofer. On the other hand, the D&D can't magically become coaxial.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how would mid priced active studio monitors...compete with high end, high priced passive speakers
Tricky question. I suspect the devil is in the details of exactly which versus which. Active speakers can in theory have advantages, however all speakers are limited by the quality and linearity of their transducers. Active internal crossovers cannot make cheaper drivers sound better than far better (presumably far more expensive) ones.

It would be more fair to compare budget-to-budget, active speakers vs passive PLUS amplification.

Now, DSP can perhaps make up shortcomings of lesser drivers to some extent but I don't think that has percolated too much to lower price points-at least not really sophisticated DSP for linearisation.

Top Bottom