• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mission brand speakers?

Hatty

Just out of interest (nothing to do with looking on ebay and thinking of redesigning the office as a listening room... honest) - what sort of price is decent for a pair of 738's and 728's..? A pair of each available locally apparently - I mean just out of interest :eek:
They have been going up in recent years.. Their orig retail price was I think £899 ...I got mine brand new just as they were discontinued for just _199...is going back to the 90"s now .and they have been magnificent save for replacing the mids..and also a set of HFs when one went but to be fair. .I use them a lot ..and I have them going pretty much full.pelt when I listen... the second pair ..some.Beech ones...cost me.just 99 pounds..had a water mark and unsuccessfully removed that... Recently I have seen them go.for around 200-300...there is a 782se version..goes for a premium...uprated components...but the basiic 782 is just fine. The 783 is like hens' teeth.. Can't remember when i saw some for sale..and from all accounts..the sweet spot seemed to be the 782

Hatty

They have been going up in recent years.. Their orig retail price was I think £899 ...I got mine brand new just as they were discontinued for just _199...is going back to the 90"s now .and they have been magnificent save for replacing the mids..and also a set of HFs when one went but to be fair. .I use them a lot ..and I have them going pretty much full.pelt when I listen... the second pair ..some.Beech ones...cost me.just 99 pounds..had a water mark and unsuccessfully removed that... Recently I have seen them go.for around 200-300...there is a 782se version..goes for a premium...uprated components...but the basiic 782 is just fine. The 783 is like hens' teeth.. Can't remember when i saw some for sale..and from all accounts..the sweet spot seemed to be the 782
sorry should have said. "successfully removed the water mark''.

TeBheag

A Small Island to the West of Mainland Europe
Hmmm, thanks. He's looking for £250 for the 782's. Probably give them a miss, though it's probably about the market rate. Well done on your bargain buys though and removing the marks - they probably sounded better too without the watermark (oh that's for a different thread)

Hatty

Hmmm, thanks. He's looking for £250 for the 782's. Probably give them a miss, though it's probably about the market rate. Well done on your bargain buys though and removing the marks - they probably sounded better too without the watermark (oh that's for a different thread)
haha yes... water mark definitely affected the frequency response Good luck with the search...

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had some rosewood 750le back in the day. Made 7000 units, bit of a loss leader I think. Looked lovely, sounded nice in my small room with a nad 3020 amp.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Do please note - the older models were variable to say the least and in the case of the 770mk2 onwards, no two pairs were often quite the same as the designer tinkered too much! The classic cheap miniatures they did which sold so well were again, suitable for 80's vinyl but not more neutral sources, so be warned. I was given a pair of 737R's which had a really nice mid and ok bass (drinking straws in ports to minimise chuffing) but the little hard dome tweeter (a popular model back then) was as rough and ragged as anything and set too high, ruining the effect lower down...

761's and 781's were popular but rather toppy I remember. The slim 73* series rather better behaved and noce looking. There was a series around twenty years back that sounded awful (781 stand mounters?). They sorted it but wouldn't take the older shit ones back (we had to order them to keep the franchise). We kind of lost faith in them after this.

P.S. Mission was one of the first to order 'dealer contracts' specifying what we stocked and so on and to this day, not sure if it was fully legal or not. Long time ago now and I forget the sordid details. Linn did the same and promptly lost half their UK dealers, preferring the 'less physical sales but higher monetary value per box' approach I remember.

Last edited:

steve-z

I had a pair of the original Mission 753 floor standers back in the1990’s which were excellent speakers, had them for about 10 years, in that time had to replace one of the bass drivers of which there were 4 to each speaker other than that no other problems, they were still popular 10 years on and I got 70% of my purchase price back when I sold them on.
Very recently I bought a used pair of QX2s for a very good price and they’re proving to be a very good buy, just slightly on the warm side of neutral but with amazing low bass for a stand mount.

Attachments

• DE53F495-BBB8-4916-BA85-4E1F6101F9E0.jpeg
    DE53F495-BBB8-4916-BA85-4E1F6101F9E0.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 8730F918-13D0-4131-B93E-A56030BA2BE2.jpeg
    8730F918-13D0-4131-B93E-A56030BA2BE2.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 112

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just remembered their names, Farad and Henry Azima.
Henry was in charge of engineering and Farad the business - I have heard of adventurous business practices.

Blank Verse

Yes, you never forget excellent customer service do you. Maybe a small thing to them, but an awesome gesture to someone on the other side of the world. It's one of the reasons I still own them, because of the interaction with Mission in the UK.

I bought the M-53s on a whim, as I was living in an enormous warehouse loft apartment conversion and my normal speakers were in long term storage. I paid about AU$900pr when they were AU$1899-$2099 new. The small standmounts I had taken up with me were simply a waste of time in a big space, and the DCM Timewindow 1as just didn't work either. Didn't want to unpack my storeroom which was 75km away just to get a decent pair of speakers out.

They seriously impressed me, filling the void-like space (35ft raked ceilings on 45 degree angles) with a big sound. I ran them pretty hard several times on my big Sony N77es amps and they never missed a beat. Then I bought a pair of Jamo 507ii and the Missions got retired for a bit (or ran on speakers B).
Yes, there is nothing like some old time customer care to make a loyal customer. Globalization has destroyed most of that nowadays. When I was a teenager traveling by plane for the first time they had to ground the plane I was supposed to be taking so I had to take a connection into a regional airport. I will never forget the Delta stewardess who invited me to have a BLT in the cafeteria. Since then I have been a loyal Delta Airlines customer, even though I rarely fly.

The other day I called Sennheiser US to ask about some headphone parts that I needed to refurbish a pair of HD540s, and I got to talk with a representative right away, and he took his time to look things up and explain a few options for ordering. All of this in perfect English, no less. On related news, I hear that Sennheiser is on the prawl for a buyer. :(

sounds_et_al

Bumping this thread to see if anyone might be able to help identify these speakers? My wife dug them up from the basement and I'm hoping to use them with my turntable. Speakers are around 20 years old at this point...
20210425_141403 2.jpg

TeBheag

Thank you! I've been looking everywhere but couldn't come up with anything.
Ooh 731/i. I'm after a pair of those for my study... (Hint, if you're UK...)

Edit - oh USA.

SimonSB

Ooh 731/i. I'm after a pair of those for my study... (Hint, if you're UK...)

May I ask why you're looking for a pair of the 731's in particular? As far as I know, there are no public measurement data on these speakers; while Stereophile did measure the 731i's when they were new, the review is no longer available online.

I know a non-audiophile who owns a pair. That model is an older one with a different tweeter to the one pictured. When I listened to them, I thought they sounded decent, save for a slight deficiency in the lower mid-range and an enormous peak somewhere in the treble; the cymbals sounded a bit odd and were too loud, for the most part. Maybe the more conventional silk dome tweeter in the 731i would fix that.

I would love to see a spinorama if you know where to find one though - they look like a really clever design. Might the curved front baffle hint at good directivity?

Simon

TeBheag

You may indeed ask. It's purely because I currently use a pair of newer style 700's in that space (I also have the 700's from 1980 which I've just re-foamed but not tested). So no science behind it, I just fancy a pair! I've a bit of a soft spot for Mission compact speakers and want to try some out.
Alastair

edcallende

I sold Mission for some years. Many of the sales peeps had good success selling Mission and the customers seemed happy. I've seen lots of examples still operating and in working condition up for sale as used. What model of Mission are you thinking about?

I am looking to replace the 6.5" speaker (Part # 7SD-83450) on a pair of Mission Leading Edge 700 speakers. Do you have any idea of a replacement or where I can get this speaker - Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to replace the 6.5" speaker (Part # 7SD-83450) on a pair of Mission Leading Edge 700 speakers. Do you have any idea of a replacement or where I can get this speaker - Thanks
Contact Mission directly and request a location of a service depot in your country. While you are at it ask about that part number. I can attest that service depots seem to be far and few in between these days but they might have something for you.

EDIT: ...and if you have a damaged cone or blown voice coil a speaker shop may be able to rebuild it for you. I've done that before and had good success.

Top Bottom