• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

ABQdude

Forum Donor
If you hold in the volume button on the unit when powering it on the unit goes into a setup menu. This menu seems to allow the user to manipulate default settings to some degree. Navigating the menu does not work with the volume wheel or any of the IR commands provided to Harmony - Topping did not provide any IR commands that offer direction such as up or down.
That is true, but all those defaults settings are the same settings available on the remote.

Edit: Except for the factory reset setting, which can only be done using the volume button on power-up, AFAICT.

Last edited:

mtmercer

The COAX OUT function of the Topping DX7s interests me. I like the idea of being able to "daisy-chain" my D50 to the DX7s when it arrives. Will the method used to output the COAX signal degrade the input signal to the DX7s or will it be as high of a quality as the input signal to the DX7s?

I currently use the SPDIF input from an Allo Digione Player. I will eventually use the Audiophonics Linear Power supply for the Allo Digione Player.

mtmercer

Hmm what do you aim to achieve by this?

My goal is to have 1 audio output provide function for multiple DACs. I plan to have 3 DACs and 3 Amps. The Allo Digione has 2 SPDIF outputs. Digione Player Output 1 would go to 1 DAC. Digione Player Output 2 would go to the DX7s and the DX7s COAX out would daisy chain to the 3rd DAC (D50) assuming it has the same quality as the input to the DX7s, thus the question. I would have 1 amp connected per DAC.

If there is a reduction in SPDIF signal quality, then I will figure out another way to do it, not a big deal. Just wondering.

Also, if I want to use USB input, I could avoid the USB input on the D50 via the DX7s USB input. I seem to remember there was some discussion on the D50 thread about the D50 USB input possibly not being properly isolated. I want to avoid purchasing USB decrapifiers since I already have the Allo Digione and the DX7s. I think the USB input on the DX7s has shown a good USB input. If my recollection of the DX7s USB input is incorrect, sorry if I created any confusion.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
There is only one thing I'm missing on this device and that is UPnP media renderer function. Hopefully they will add it one day..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Networking adds boatload of software and support headache. So I don't think it is in the cards. Best to get a dedicated streamer and hook up to it. I hope to review the Allo one soon.

FunctionalDoc

I am having a problem with DX7S I am not getting any sound out on either the RCA jac's or on the headphone out jacks. The driver is playing on the computer which is running Windows 7 Pro .

I reinstalled the latest driver 4.14 from Topping website and no success. The display is showing USB 44.1 Khz as usual connected to the USB.

Any suggestions?

FunctionalDoc

I am not having a problem after I uninstalled the driver and then used Revo uninstaller tor remove all the files.

Jorj

Forum Donor
I just checked in with Topping in reference to the remote that many of us want to have for use with the DX7s. Hailin tells me that it was supposed to be done in May, but delays with D50 production have pushed them back on this and they no longer have an estimate of when we might see the remote. She did confirm that the remote will be a nice aluminum shell and will probably in the $40 range...which is about double what I'd like to see it at. She indicated the BOM alone on the remote was $20.

TL;DR - Remote is indefinitely late and will cost more than we thought.

FunctionalDoc

Thanks for the the update on the remote and I am still willing to pay for one it when comes out assuming that the dealer from Alliexpress doesn't come through with remote that was supposed to come with the DX7 that I ordered.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
She did confirm that the remote will be a nice aluminum shell and will probably in the $40 range...which is about double what I'd like to see it at.
I would say it is worth $40. It is a very nice one.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir,

Did you ever get around to measuring jitter on the USB input and comparing it to the S/PDIF coax input’s measurement?

Thanks,
Martin

mastershake

is it possible to use the dx7s' dac to output to another amp and not its built in amp? just curious asking for someone i know who bought one and is waiting for it but has mostly high impedance cans and also ordered a bottlehead crack during the sale they had. thanks

Top Bottom