• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker wire recommendations

PDS

Currently, I use solid core wire. Basically, I split up some Romex and twisted the white and black wires together. Tinned the ends... Audio-wise, it works just fine. But I'm going to install my electronics in the basement, and I want to easily move my speakers back against the wall when I'm not listening. Total wire length will be about 10 feet to each speaker. The current wire is unwieldy due to stiffness. Do you have any recommendations?
Picture for interest:
Cotton_Steps.jpg

Cotton appreciates your help!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
He is saying, "did you really post about speaker wire here"? I imagine you will get about 200 recommendations......:)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use just standard 14-12ga multistrand speaker wire. I tend to get the stuff with a red and black conductor inside a white outer insulator. I find that what's most important to me is the termination, which will depend on your equipment. Generally though, unless I'm using speakons, I like banana plugs for the amp side and spades/forks for the speaker side, but either work on both ends.

My favorite cable I've used was I think and 8 conductor pro audio cable with an 8 terminal speakon termination on one side and 4 pairs of banana plugs on the other end. It was a nightmare to hook up but it had a really nice weight to it.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Electrically just about anything would be fine, but I like Canare 4S11, because physically it's very manageable and cooperative. It lies flat and straight, curves nicely, and won't coil or kink. In your situation that will save you time and frustration when you push your speakers back against the wall, after a session.

OP
PDS

PDS

Good stuff! Thanks for the recommendations!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I use 2AWG THHN.

Biwired even.

It's 19 "strands" of approximately 18AWG solid.

1619573553879.png

Because I had it, and I could.

It's not very flexible, though it does bend.

This is not a recommendation.

And I don't have a dog.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always liked Canare 4s11. It's a little more flexible than Belden.

sgent

Most stranded speaker wire should be fine -- the real issue is to make sure its solid copper (not tin coated), and that you get a large enough size for the distance in question. 14ga is probably fine within a few feet, but drop down to 10-12 as run distance becomes longer.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Greatest breed EVER. (Note my profile pic)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stranded wire would indeed increase flexibility. Such concern over something so basic, it's charming.

Beave

Major Contributor
Most stranded speaker wire should be fine -- the real issue is to make sure its solid copper (not tin coated), and that you get a large enough size for the distance in question. 14ga is probably fine within a few feet, but drop down to 10-12 as run distance becomes longer.

What's the issue with tin coated copper wire?

OP
PDS

PDS

So many products have these thick jackets, which I don't like. Why ask here? Because I will be buying online, and I can't check the cable out in person. This has nothing to do with audio quality. It does have to do with cable quality and construction. I received some good suggestions, and so asking was worthwhile.

Midwest Blade

I have Blue Jeans Cable "10 White" in 8 and 10 ft pairs and Mogami W3103 in a 10 ft pair. Find the Mogami is just a bit more manageable, seems a bit softer and easier to get into shape for connecting. Performance Audio has the best price on Mogami W3103 and great service.

Top Bottom