• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

bogart

Forum Donor
James Hoffman just released a 2nd Aeropress video on optimal brewing technique that provides great information for Aeropress users, but is just as instructive on the benefits and execution objective blind testing. He uses a triplet technique I had not seen before. At the 22 minute mark his results in 1 test were different than expected, and he discusses confirmation bias. (See post #430 for the first video).

** 2 minute steeping time, swirling before extracting, and starting with boiling hot water, do matter.

You just made my night with that link. Outstanding video and makes me want to pull my aeropress out of the pantry in the morning. Looking forward to it!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
James Hoffman just released a 2nd Aeropress video on optimal brewing technique that provides great information for Aeropress users, but is just as instructive on the benefits and execution objective blind testing. He uses a triplet technique I had not seen before. At the 22 minute mark his results in 1 test were different than expected, and he discusses confirmation bias. (See post #430 for the first video).
Just watched this, great video, if only all YT was as good as this I'd regularly use it, going to brew one now.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree, he's my favorite YTer, and does repeatable, verifiable testing, but also points out the things that are just His Opinion.
I came across this, from Fellow:
https://fellowproducts.com/products/prismo/
And, combined with James's tips, makes for some DARNED fine coffee!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I came across this, from Fellow:
https://fellowproducts.com/products/prismo/
And, combined with James's tips, makes for some DARNED fine coffee!
Interestingly that gadget runs counter to the advice from JH on aeropress pressure. Does it change something else. FWIW I've never loved the aeropress, had it a long time, I've got one of the original ones, with the mystifying markings.

Kegemusha

Skärmklipp.JPG

Arabica beans, Swedish roasted.

Neddy

Interestingly that gadget runs counter to the advice from JH on aeropress pressure. Does it change something else. FWIW I've never loved the aeropress, had it a long time, I've got one of the original ones, with the mystifying markings.

I was also never a huge fan - kind of like JH suggested, 'ok' coffee is easy to do, but 'really fine' not quite so much.
His tests demonstrated what IS worth it and not, and I found it does make a difference....surprised me, is all (mostly the longer steep time.)
The Fellow filter is really just a permanent metal filter instead of the paper ones, in spite of their 'espresso' claims.
In any event, I don't apply any more pressure than 'normal' with it, and it's a bit more convenient than the paper ones.
But I only use it occasionally, and for 'extra' cuppa's late in the day.

SarahSimm

Screenshot_10.png

This brews Aprx four 5oz cups of coffee. It even states it in the description. Why some are whinging on about it I'll never know.

This did NOT come with a filter! The description needs some help in that regard. It says it comes with a filter basket......welllllll.......TECHNICALLY, it's the basket shaped bit that you place the ACTUAL filter in to, so .........
If you DON'T purchase either a 4cup Mr Coffee filter basket OR the proper paper filters also at the time of purchase, you'll be sorry.
(Paper filters will be small, and flat on the bottom - someone posted a photo with their review)

Pretty fast. Does NOT have an auto shut off, but I didn't need one so I'm good.

If you close the top all the way until it 'clicks', it's very difficult to open. Luckily you don't need to click it for it to function.

Keeps the coffee hot.

****the first pot will taste like cr@p even after running a pot of water thru it first - be warned and maybe get that accomplished the night before.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Fellow filter is really just a permanent metal filter instead of the paper ones, in spite of their 'espresso' claims.
In any event, I don't apply any more pressure than 'normal' with it, and it's a bit more convenient than the paper ones.
You are using the metal filter only, not the pressure increasing valve cap thing?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Nespresso or Keurig pods, I drink coffee seldom, so the single cup machines make the most sense for me.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to tos the Keurig and get a Gaggia super-automatic

Neddy

You are using the metal filter only, not the pressure increasing valve cap thing?
Pressure cap included. I find it doesn't do much other than increase the initial pressure needed for 'release of the fluids'...and that only by a small amount...frankly I can't tell the difference between it and a paper filter one, other than that first hold thing.
I made a cup yesterday, and put it in my covered 'driving mug', and drove off to pick up some meds at my vet's place (curbside delivery) - as soon as I opened the window, the vet tech immediately said "Wow, does that coffee smell good!"
Fair enough.

As to metal vs. paper filters and cholesterol, yes, I'm aware of that and mostly use paper.
But for my occasional afternoon cuppa (usually decaf), the metal filter thing is just enough more convenient to use (a tad messier than the paper ones for disposal, though.)

Just surpsises me that, for a coffee maker I've had for years, and had stopped using, JH's YT video made enough difference to put it back in first place for 'rapid cuppa' use. (I go the full 4 minutes of steep time...and think that's the main difference...probably depends on the bean & grind, a bit, too.)

iBird

One thing, I would like to tell here!

Instead of finding facts of any product here and there, why don't you read reviews on Amazon on the same product page, which are posted by the existing customers?

I'm sure, one can't get better answer elsewhere!

Tks

Major Contributor
Nespresso or Keurig pods, I drink coffee seldom, so the single cup machines make the most sense for me.
Tried those long ago. Their coffee worth a damn? Im not a massive drinker and I enjoy mellow sweet ish coffee like Aribica.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Tried those long ago. Their coffee worth a damn? Im not a massive drinker and I enjoy mellow sweet ish coffee like Aribica.

Keurig cups taste the same to me as their respective grinds, but bolder and fresher. I have to say I really dislike the amount of waste the cups create, I can't recommend it to moderate to heavy coffee drinkers, they are also very high in cost compared to regular grinds. But I drink 3 cups a week so its a non-issue.

Nespresso is not exactly the same in boldness as regular espresso out of a proper machine, but its very close, and there are lots of variety in the pods (Peet's, Starbucks, Nestle etc.) and with different roasts, the machines are affordable but the pods cost a lot more than the Keurig pods (Consider that it takes 2-4 shots of espresso for a latte!) so your looking at a $4 latte, so you may as well just go to Starbucks. Cost and waste aside, I am a fan of the Nespresso machine, and will continue using it as I only make 1-2 lattes a week. I would say its worth it for the flavor of the single shots and variety alone.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
One thing, I would like to tell here!

Instead of finding facts of any product here and there, why don't you read reviews on Amazon on the same product page, which are posted by the existing customers?

I'm sure, one can't get better answer elsewhere!
Welcome Aboard @iBird.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see James Hoffman just posted his 3rd Aeropress video describing his Ultimate brewing technique.

.....Instead of finding facts of any product here and there, why don't you read reviews on Amazon on the same product page, which are posted by the existing customers?....

Welcome. You make a good point. I do not think the goal for posts on this thread is to provide the most authoritative product reviews. I hope no one uses it for that. Instead, its just an audio community sharing subjective opinions, which while not authoritative, are almost certainly honest.

The problem with Amazon owner reviews is that many are subsidized by the seller, so they seem authoritative but are often not honest. So, using a variety of sources is a good thing.

ASR is a good place for us to brag about our above average coffee opinions. We cannot brag about our above average subjective audio opinions here without getting criticized. ;)

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My pourover technique has a 105 dB S/N ratio.

Rick "prove me wrong" Denney

Top Bottom