• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B D&D8C Hedd Main Towers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Interesting comparison this weekend, a three way shoot out between Genelec 8351Bs and 7389A sub 15” , D&D8Cs and Hedd ‘Main Towers’.
Genelec GLM,, Sonarworks for the Hedd’s and the 8Cs own filters created by REW, we tried for a more or less flat ( horizontal) target curve, it was really interesting to hear all three together and be able to swop instantly between speakers.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is the sub with a 15” driver, the new version of GLM was extremely impressive, their image seemed to be smaller and projected forward more than the other two which were more similar.
Keith

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what kinds of preferences would be satisfied by each of these? I am assuming that, at this level, it is about preferences than any kind of absolute "better" or "worse".

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes tonally pretty similar, the Gens had a little too much Hf for my liking, but perhaps that is just what I am used to, all the speakers are adjustable, the Gens were physically nearer, so there’s are purely my thoughts after a relatively brief comparison.
The Gens definitely threw the image forward,the same vocal felt nearer in space and the total image was more contained, I feel that to be totally immersed in the sound field one would have to sit quite close , closer than the 2.5 metres that day.
The 8Cs were much more similar, both set the image back in space, vocals had a bit more weight, perhaps voices sounded more ‘natural’ but as I have no idea what the original sound ( is there such a thing ) sounded like the Gens could be right and the others wrong.
In that particular really large room I thought the Hedd’s prevailed just really solid sound.
I know Mitchco compared small Kefs to his large JBLs, but the larger speakers did sound more convincing to me in this very particular scenario.
That is why home evaluation is so important.
Keith

jonfitch

Yes tonally pretty similar, the Gens had a little too much Hf for my liking, but perhaps that is just what I am used to, all the speakers are adjustable, the Gens were physically nearer, so there’s are purely my thoughts after a relatively brief comparison.
The Gens definitely threw the image forward,the same vocal felt nearer in space and the total image was more contained, I feel that to be totally immersed in the sound field one would have to sit quite close , closer than the 2.5 metres that day.
The 8Cs were much more similar, both set the image back in space, vocals had a bit more weight, perhaps voices sounded more ‘natural’ but as I have no idea what the original sound ( is there such a thing ) sounded like the Gens could be right and the others wrong.
In that particular really large room I thought the Hedd’s prevailed just really solid sound.
I know Mitchco compared small Kefs to his large JBLs, but the larger speakers did sound more convincing to me in this very particular scenario.
That is why home evaluation is so important.
Keith

Yeah this is the same impression I had with a few friends that demoed 8341 and 8331. Vocals seemed separate from rest of instruments, very forward in space. I believe this is due to some blip in the sound power around 300-700hz on the newer waveguides of The Ones.

What's interesting is I suspect the older 8351A sounds very different with more backrow vocals. Looking at the sound power of the 8351A, it's extremely rolled off in this range where you have the fundamental frequencies of vocals and percussion instruments. Hoping to get my hands on a pair to see if it does sound different, as it has the older 1st generation waveguide from the 8260A generation.

1619301779338.png

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah this is the same impression I had with a few friends that demoed 8341 and 8331. Vocals seemed separate from rest of instruments, very forward in space. I believe this is due to some blip in the sound power around 300-700hz on the newer waveguides of The Ones.

What's interesting is I suspect the older 8351A sounds very different with more backrow vocals. Looking at the sound power of the 8351A, it's extremely rolled off in this range where you have the fundamental frequencies of vocals and percussion instruments. Hoping to get my hands on a pair to see if it does sound different, as it has the older 1st generation waveguide from the 8260A generation.

View attachment 126054
There's a pair of the 8351a on Audiogon.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaa1a7-genelec-8351a-goodies-monitors

q3cpma

Major Contributor

View attachment 126054
The biggest difference is the WM crossover frequency change affecting how high the vertical cancellation works; which might explain the power response too.
See those posts:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitor-review.11652/page-47#post-542099
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitor-review.11652/page-48#post-542199
and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...presss-review-of-a-genelec-ones-patent.19573/ if an explanation of the mechanism is wanted.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How would the "Gens" cope in a typical English living room being close to sidewalls and with a listening distance of around 3 metres?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The white 8351Bs and stands pictured will be available, if anyone is interested drop me a line, I will have all the dedicated packaging.
Keith

Reactions: ENG

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no valid comparison between speakers when they're both set-up with different distances and different width.

To make a decent comparison one can play mono with all three speakers lined up on the line of a circle with the same distance to a near-field listening position. Otherwise the differences in soundstage and room interaction will hinder any meaningful data.
You could get the exact opposite result by changing position of the speakers.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I agree it is very difficult to compare, we adjusted the individual speakers target curves to be a similar as possible to the Genelecs, and then level matched with a tone generated from REW and an SPL meter, the customer plumped for the 8Cs so I will have the Genelecs here for comparison.
Keith

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not sure the 8260 is comparable to the old 8351a, or the new 8351b... Biased perhaps since I own them, but looking at the measurements the 8260 it has wider dispersion than anything else in the 8000 series range, and is exceptionally even. The 8351b and 8351a graphs look smoothed to me, unless some new development has gotten rid of the tiny zig zags with the 8260:

1620173737431.png

If I could apply the same smoothing to the 8260, I think it would come out on top, and remains their flagship monitor except from a DSP standpoint/integration capabilities with a W371.

For me to upgrade and not feel like there were tradeoffs I'd need a massive budget to get a pair of W371 woofer modules and accept narrower disperison, or to wait until they come out with an 8361B that has as wide and even dispersion as the 8260 while going lower and having all the DSP and vertical dispersion advantages.

Curious if Genelec is working on this or is moving towards narrower dispersion a little to get higher SPL from The Ones.

(Also, if anyone from Genelec has access: Can you make an 8260 chart with the smoothing as is done on later models, or reduce the smoothing on later models so we can do a 1:1 comparison? It's certainly a nitpick and may not be worth the time, but that may help clarify what we are seeing.)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Need to center, or close to center, one of each and listen in mono. That would help get rid of positioning issues left to right, though I'm sure floor bounce may be worst for whichever one is lowest.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
My old 8260,s and twin 7270 ubs, with palladium cable!
Also notice the fancy stands with isolating ( really direct coupling ) feet and horns behind, I know, I know.

Keith

TimH

That must have been an amazing listening session! amazing selection of speakers. If you still have the Genelecs would it be possible to bring them on the week of the 17th? They were on my list too but I can't find any locally.

morespinach

I wonder how HEDD type 20 would have fared in the same room. Having that giant tower was hardly a “fair” comparison, not to mention the positioning and room issues others have too.

The Genelecs do look cool in white. Will you ship to Canada?

Geekusa

I wonder how HEDD type 20 would have fared in the same room. Having that giant tower was hardly a “fair” comparison, not to mention the positioning and room issues others have too.

The Genelecs do look cool in white. Will you ship to Canada?

If you’re interested in a grey 8351B, there’s a pair on reverb

Top Bottom