• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

capitanharlock

No you don't. That is how I tested it (without a driver).
If they put an usb driver maybe we are supposed to use it.
Moreover my Windows 10 device manager didn’t correctly recognise the dongle without the driver.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If they put an usb driver maybe we are supposed to use it.
Early versions of Windows 10 did not have a class driver for these devices. That was fixed with Creators Edition of Windows 10 that came out a couple of years go. For good measure, some companies still provide these drivers but that doesn't mean they are needed or necessary. The only exception is when they provide ASIO support (and for DSD playback).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sonata HD&Sonata HD PRO&Sonata BHD USB2.0 Audio Driver

V3.3.136.15.68MBWindows2018/04/23
This errors out saying a newer version of the driver is already installed. The package is by the same company ("savitech" or some such thing).

I am going to pack this folks. I can't spend more time on it, especially when it involves installing random stuff like this on my main production system.

capitanharlock

If you install the “driver” a Tempotec application shows up, showing Asio state, and a list of sampling frequencies that you can choose (I didn’t understand what for).
The Tempotec Pro allows Dsd playback too.
I’m not saying you should install it, I did it because the device manager didn’t recognise the dongle and didn’t get any error, so my advise to a new owner is to install the driver.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you install the “driver” a Tempotec application shows up, showing Asio state, and a list of sampling frequencies that you can choose (I didn’t understand what for).
The Tempotec Pro allows Dsd playback too.
I’m not saying you should install it, I did it because the device manager didn’t recognise the dongle and didn’t get any error, so my advise to a new owner is to install the driver.
Ah, I see that app even though install aborted. Very strange. But the ASIO interface in it is working. So let me re-run the test using that....

Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The new driver worked. I updated the review:

index.php

index.php

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
I've had one for about yr (I think, time gets a little fluid as I age), and have used it with a desktop windows 10, Tempotec V1, and LG phone. I have had none of the problems described; however, I don't use Instagram and don't intend to install it just to test for the problem. It has worked very well when called into use and would recommend it without hesitation.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antifocus

I bought mine at around $25 and it has been flawless with my Mac and Android phone, had some issues with PC but fine after firmware update and driver installation. Sounds pretty good with ER4SR too.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quote: The UR23 accepts SPDIF optical signals and transfer this to a computer over USB.
Suitable to transfer DAT tapes, minidisk or other digital source to audio files on your computer.

So the UR23 is clearly a converter from SPDIF to USB
You can very easily get SPDIF Output from an internal SPDIF Signal in a player,
Even a red diode and a resistor solded to a SPDIF-RCA Jack would work.
Did this with the Nakamichi player I posted earlier.

So besides how to power the UR23 (but 5V can be drawn from everwhere) the interesting question is whether
a headphone dongle would recognize it as a playback source.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No it state's optical input to USB with DAC. Why on earth would you want to use Optical input on vintage gear? You are aware then internal DAC on that gear would be used for transferring it to analog. Use analog line out/in.

I think Herbert is going the other way- I think he wants to take the optical out of (say) an old cd player, convert to USB then use the dongle as a dac. Presumably this is to "improve" the conversion from the original dac in the player.

@Herbert Id be intrigued it you could get it working but I suspect the dongle wont recognise the input and/ or not take power from it.

Top Bottom