• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva launched new generation of BasX amplifiers

BluesDaddy

Your right on it not being a fair comparison. Monolith is in a different league. Measurements and actual bench testing would prove it.
There is a reason the Emotiva BasX series are so cheap. I know price does not dictate sound quality or reliability usually in most audio products. But in this case i can almost guarantee it does. I don't know anyone who has had an Emotiva amp without issues, that includes the product itself and getting Emotiva to fix it. The Emotiva quality and company standards are not what they used to be years ago.

I personally would rather pay the extra for long term reliability and quality.
I've owned two Emotiva XPA amps (a gen 2 XPA-2 and a gen 1 XPA-3) for YEARS and have not had one bit of problems, issues, etc., from them. I first used the XPA-3 to power Magnepan MMG LRs and a Magnepan CC1. I then got the XPA-2 for the LR, the XPA-3 continued to power the center AND my surrounds. About two and half years ago I got a pair of Philharmonic BMRs for LR and had Rick Craig design a BMR WTMW center for me (while Dennis was on sabbatical and no BMRs were available). Again, not one issue.

SnausPockets

Are you planning to drive the fronts or just keep it for the rear? I am just curious if you notice any difference with the LCR

I'm going to keep it on the LCR, it sounds great to me. Really nice soundstage.

The best way I can describe my experience is the Denon 4700 amps provided a wider and deeper soundstage to me than the outlaw amp. Especially at lower levels. They really are pretty good for an AVR... The Outlaw almost seemed warm in comparison. It would sound great when you cranked it and watched a movie loud but when you turned it down the outlaw was harder to understand dialogue.

However, the Outlaw would sound better than the Denon amps for two channel music because it was a little less clinical? I'm not sure exactly how to explain that. It had more punch.

Using my system as a TV for much of the day the Denon amps won out over the outlaw for how they run the front stage. Simply put I could understand dialogue better with the Denon over the outlaw. I will admit right now that this could be due to variations in Audyssey measurements and whatnot. I do my best but it's not scientific.

So...Now I have the Emotiva a3 amp in there on the LCR and it is like a mix of the two (denon and outlaw). It has the Sound stage and clinical part of the Denon amps where I can understand everyone very well and it is very wide and deep. If I close my eyes the sound is a good five feet out wide past the right and left speakers....But it also has a better two channel and multichannel music experience than the Denon amps. Less clinical and a bit more warm like the outlaw but not so much so that I can't understand people when watching TV at lower levels.

Would still be great to get some measurements and have Amir take a look at it but I am happy and keeping it regardless

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was still waiting to hear from you. You said that Emotiva and Parasound are mediocre. Please tell us what superior amplification you are using. Or were you just being a troll??

What difference would it make what I use? Doesn't change my opinion, they're just not particularly remarkable, altho Emotiva can be had at a more reasonable price. I use about 10 different amps depending on purpose and room....I don't get excited about amps.

SnausPockets

What difference would it make what I use? Doesn't change my opinion, they're just not particularly remarkable, altho Emotiva can be had at a more reasonable price. I use about 10 different amps depending on purpose and room....I don't get excited about amps.
And yet somehow you feel so strongly about your experience with a first generation emotiva amp that you come in all toxic to a thread about a different amp entirely and spread your hate.

The difference it would make is that people would have more of a understanding of the context you're speaking from. I mean, if you have a $20,000 amp that you're trying to compare it to then yes of course it's not going to excite you.

But even then one has to wonder why you would even bother being here. This is a thread about an amp made for the peasants of the world, certainly not the likes of you.

Because one amp from the first generation didn't work out for you, you're going to go to every emotiva thread about every product and bash the brand? Interesting...

Still didn't name any of your 10 amps... You speak in generalities... People want to know the amps that you thought were acceptable as opposed to your emotiva experience. Maybe they can learn from your L.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet somehow you feel so strongly about your experience with a first generation emotiva amp that you come in all toxic to a thread about a different amp entirely and spread your hate.

The difference it would make is that people would have more of a understanding of the context you're speaking from. I mean, if you have a $20,000 amp that you're trying to compare it to then yes of course it's not going to excite you.

But even then one has to wonder why you would even bother being here. This is a thread about an amp made for the peasants of the world, certainly not the likes of you.

Because one amp from the first generation didn't work out for you, you're going to go to every emotiva thread about every product and bash the brand? Interesting...

Still didn't name any of your 10 amps... You speak in generalities... People want to know the amps that you thought were acceptable as opposed to your emotiva experience. Maybe they can learn from your L.

Good grief you ampliphiles are so sensitive yet usually couldn't tell one from another :) Why on earth would I waste 20k on a mere amp? That's daft. Why are you here? You believe you can tell differences in amps from casual listening?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"You audiophiles"

I don't have 10 amps and I'm here to learn what I can and share whatever I know.

What about you?

I said ampliphiles, not audiophiles :) Audiophiles can be as bad, tho. I'm glad you're here to share, as am I which is why I said both brands are mediocre, not that mediocre is bad particularly. Here's my advice, don't sweat the amp so much, it's not the critical piece outside of what you need it to do....

SnausPockets

See I wasn't even aware that ampliphiles was a thing. You got the wrong guy.

I don't sweat amplifiers like you seem to, but thanks for the advice. I didn't love my Outlaw on the front stage but I'm not going to any Outlaw threads to explain that to people.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See I wasn't even aware that ampliphiles was a thing. You got the wrong guy.

I don't sweat amplifiers like you seem to, but thanks for the advice. I didn't love my Outlaw on the front stage but I'm not going to any Outlaw threads to explain that to people.

You commented....what was it about the Outlaw amp? Which one? Did you throw your Outlaw amp because you were so insulted by its performance and difficulty to store until a better use could be found?

SnausPockets

You commented....what was it about the Outlaw amp? Which one? Did you throw your Outlaw amp because you were so insulted by its performance and difficulty to store until a better use could be found?

So are you just here to destroy this thread about the emotiva "a" series amps that just came out? I was trying to focus on that.

My Outlaw 5000 is in my bedroom ht now...seems better with my 25 year old MBQuart towers/center than the rbh sound speakers in my main. Emotiva a3 seems better to me there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So are you just here to destroy this thread about the emotiva "a" series amps that just came out? I was trying to focus on that.

My Outlaw 5000 is in my bedroom ht now...seems better with my 25 year old MBQuart towers/center than the rbh sound speakers in my main. Emotiva a3 seems better to me there.

No of course not, just keep the gear in perspective but bowing out due Adam's request.....as this is just getting silly.

Matt0305

I purchased the A3 to run my 4ohm LCR speakers with my Denon 3600h. So far it's been great. Sounds great and runs cool. It has plenty of power and I think it will be very popular with the home theater crowd as there really isn't any competition for 3 channel amps at this price point.

It’s a simple question, what makes of amplifier do you use? You criticized Emotiva and Parasound. Are you afraid the posters here will criticize your choice of amps?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a simple question, what makes of amplifier do you use? You criticized Emotiva and Parasound. Are you afraid the posters here will criticize your choice of amps?

What difference would it make? I just didn't elevate either the Parasound or Emotiva brand to some sort of magical amp status like you seem to think happens. I think you would fail miserably in an actual dbx test.

ps I guess I didn't opt out of the thread like I thought....am discussing minutiae with those who have limited experiences, sorry, my bad....outta here for sure now

Matt0305

It seems like Emotiva threads are generating a lot of negative responses and bickering for whatever reason. The B1+ review eventually evolved into a mostly off topic argument.

What difference would it make? I just didn't elevate either the Parasound or Emotiva brand to some sort of magical amp status like you seem to think happens. I think you would fail miserably in an actual dbx test.

ps I guess I didn't opt out of the thread like I thought....am discussing minutiae with those who have limited experiences, sorry, my bad....outta here for sure now
My take is that you are using some cheesy amps and are afraid other will criticize you after you made your statement about Parasound and Emotiva. Bye bye.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My take is that you are using some cheesy amps and are afraid other will criticize you after you made your statement about Parasound and Emotiva. Bye bye.

No more than your cheesy Parasound amps....had a girlfriend that used to sell for them, had no clue.

No more than your cheesy Parasound amps....had a girlfriend that used to sell for them, had no clue.
You still want to troll here. Just answer the question. What amps are you using? By the way, I am using the JC5 amp. No one calls it cheesy except for you.

Top Bottom