• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
mate1146, I found 2 comments for "Beyerdynamic DT990" in our discord and both confirm it a good paired with 9038D. However, I recommend you to take a look at 9038S model with balanced output and +2db of output voltage. If you have a balanced cable you can get more power for less money vs 9038D.

mate1146

mate1146, I found 2 comments for "Beyerdynamic DT990" in our discord and both confirm it a good paired with 9038D. However, I recommend you to take a look at 9038S model with balanced output and +2db of output voltage. If you have a balanced cable you can get more power for less money vs 9038D.
As the cable is non removable on my model, unfortunate I do not have the opportunity to change to balanced. I would, if I could. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question nonetheless! Much appreciated!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would have a few questions as I am torn between shelling out for a Topping DX3 Pro or buying this smaller one for half the price. I do not need Bluetooth or portability so I guess the biggest differentiators are out.
1. Would this DAC+AMP drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohms sufficiently in a desktop environment with Windows 10?
2. Will this tamper with my Equalizer APO preset?
3. Do I need to change any settings in the Android app to get the max performance out of it?
4. Does even changing settings carry over to my PC?
Sorry for all the questions but I am truly considering this little gadget for home use.
2. No
3. No
4. Yes

mate1146

Is it possible to connect this device to a power amp to use my speakers with it?

alter4

What recommended volume level should I set in android if I use 9038D as amplifier input?

alter4

My mate confirmed me DT990 on -0.5db for low volume records (classical music) sounds enough but not too loud.

Haze

Quick question; has anyone used this with a Nintendo Switch? If it works it could be great for gaming on the go.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
100% Android volume, -0.5dB in Tweak9038 for max output without clipping, -3dB for 2.0Vrms.
I'm using the Tweak app and am not sure my settings are saving. I'm entering -0.5dB and saving. But when I next use it and choose that preset that particular setting isn't saving- it always reverts to 0dB. What am I doing wrong?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm using the Tweak app and am not sure my settings are saving. I'm entering -0.5dB and saving. But when I next use it and choose that preset that particular setting isn't saving- it always reverts to 0dB. What am I doing wrong?

When you connect the device does a dialog box open saying something like "open with tweak app?". Do you see a sample rate top right in the tweak app when playing music?
Sounds like app and device are not connected.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you connect the device does a dialog box open saying something like "open with tweak app?". Do you see a sample rate top right in the tweak app when playing music?
Sounds like app and device are not connected.
Yes it is. Screenshot_20210417-202604_Tweak9038.jpgScreenshot_20210417-202626_Tweak9038.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
"Save" creates a preset inside the App. It does not commit your settings to the DAC. That happens automatically whenever you change anything.
Please make sure you're actually changing the maximum volume limit in the top right corner, not just the current volume.
Screenshot_20210412-165229_Tweak9038.jpg
Oh and Min/Max volume settings are not stored as part of the presets that you can create. If you configure them, then they'll be preserved between disconnects, but you can't save them as presets.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Save" creates a preset inside the App. It does not commit your settings to the DAC. That happens automatically whenever you change anything.
Please make sure you're actually changing the maximum volume limit in the top right corner, not just the current volume.
View attachment 124690
Oh and Min/Max volume settings are not stored as part of the presets that you can create. If you configure them, then they'll be preserved between disconnects, but you can't save them as presets.
Thanks. That clarifies things then. If I enable hardware volume in UAPP does that change how the app works when I change volume on my phone?

alter4

Is the any difference in sound possible with bad USB cable? I believe I am not stupid because I undestand that is fully digital signal transmission but might be some parameters like jitter could be affected by bad signal quality. Might be I am wrong but AFAIK USB DAC transition protocol doesn't use error correction.

Top Bottom