• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post your most gorgeous vintage (looking) speakers designs!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not most gorgeous, but definitely vintage and same brand as your second pic.
I posted these on another thread yesterday

Vintage Grundig Audiorama 400 speakers

1617543757043.png

Valhalla

And another Classic:

This one is even still available as new in a modern incarnation. I was almost going to build something inspired by this, but in the end decided it would be a bit too big, and it would really need a subwoofer to add to that backloaded horn to really make it shine.

I designed a folded horn like that and built it once (link). Vittora was designed by Mark Kravechenko in fact.

photo_۲۰۱۸-۱۰-۱۴_۲۳-۲۶-۴۹.jpg

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL Hartsfield:
11132.jpg

The Hartsfield is the one speaker that always appears much larger than they are in photos.
You imagine them to almost be as tall as you and the top almost meeting your neck, but they are quite a bit smaller.

I am pretty sure the Hartsfield are also known as the JBL D30085, and according to specifications measure 1162mm x 1194mm x 662mm.
Making them around average waist height.
Also there are 3 versions of the speaker, one which is only 2-way with a small 8" woofer, and two other versions using a bigger 15" woofer I am not sure about details on.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Elipson today, not so special, though using same spherical design, but looks alike UK neighbours ...

1618690834029.png

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just picked up a pair of Elipson Planet Ls on stands.

planetl_w3_2.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Braun 710's (best in white). Dieter Rams, man! With an AR amp and AR tt, was my first real system. Yeah, I'm that old...

View attachment 124614
Interestingly they also measure very well with today's standards, a German DIY loudspeaker magazine measured them in their current issue and usually propose crossover improvements but in this case just new caps with the original values as they are really well engineered. Due to copyright reasons I unfortunately cannot post the measurements here.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am very fond of the pair of ads L-710 (essentially the same loudspeaker as the Braun) that have long lived here.
Easy to drive, surprisingly sensitive given their sealed "monkey coffin" enclosures, and easy to listen to.

My pair are a little scratched up, but, since they were dump finds, it's hard to complain. :)
Perforated metal grilles are intact and "as new".

P1020547 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Top Bottom