• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dbx DriveRack VENU360 Review (audio processor)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all that were so disappointed from the results I have some good news. The unit actually can be great but looks like suffers from some production changes with the last few years of production.
I have two dbx VENU360 that I bought in 2019. One was bought new and the other was used. The first unit that I bought was the new one , and when I measured it with my R&S UPL I was shocked with the bad results I got similar to what Amir measured. I decided to debug it and did small mod to the DAC output with huge measured improvement. I need to go back and see what I did , but is should be very simple mod.
After it when I got the used older one I expected to have the same issues , bit surprisingly the unit measured great from the beginning.
It looks like that newer units are suffering from this issue.
Here you have some measured results with the R&S UPL.
The UPL that I have is analog only. so the driving signal is computer running test wav files and connected to the digital input of the unit under test.
I actually love these versatile units with their great iPad app and amazing easy room correction.
I used them as active crossover, room correction , and easy way to compare speakers when connected to multi channel amplifier.
They are much better than the DCX2496.
(...)
I hope later to post the mod I did.
So people that have the unit can have actually a great measured unit , but without actually measuring it they couldn't know.

Very interesting, thanks!

So the question then is: How can one know if one has a good one or a bad one? (my unit, which currently sits unused in the attic, was bought used in 2017)

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, there's this, too, then:
http://www.lightingandsoundamerica.com/news/story.asp?ID=-TV3B7S
I purposely bought mine used as it had been 'recently back to Harman for repair' - so I called Harman and got the repair ticket and confirmed it was a genuine one.
Also there had been a defect involving poorly crimped AC molex connectors, but that was easily rectified.

PS. I am totally in agreement with how easy to use (and useful) the app is.

However, I've realized that I really don't need to run external (downstream from DAC) crossovers in my system, so I'll try reproducing the PEQs within Jriver and see if I can hear the difference (assuming I can figure out how to do decent A/B testing at all).
But if it IS the 'greater of two weevils', and I decide to remove it from the rack, I'll sure as heck miss a number of it's cool and handy features!
Sniff:facepalm:

ObjectAudio

This is the older unit that measured correctly as it is without any mod:
IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

I will post later the newer model , but I think it is similar to this one :

DBX DriveRack Venu360 Internal Photos - diyAudio

Please pay attention to the shielded power supply in my older unit compare to the open power supply in the link above.

win

This is interesting. For a long time, there were TONS of these available for 400 used/refurb. That's the one I bought. Hope that had the fix. Also hoping we can settle this because I'm losing sleep over having an 84db sinad component.

Alobar

Forum Donor
Well, there's this, too, then:
http://www.lightingandsoundamerica.com/news/story.asp?ID=-TV3B7S
I purposely bought mine used as it had been 'recently back to Harman for repair' - so I called Harman and got the repair ticket and confirmed it was a genuine one.
Also there had been a defect involving poorly crimped AC molex connectors, but that was easily rectified.

PS. I am totally in agreement with how easy to use (and useful) the app is.

However, I've realized that I really don't need to run external (downstream from DAC) crossovers in my system, so I'll try reproducing the PEQs within Jriver and see if I can hear the difference (assuming I can figure out how to do decent A/B testing at all).
But if it IS the 'greater of two weevils', and I decide to remove it from the rack, I'll sure as heck miss a number of it's cool and handy features!
Sniff:facepalm:
For some reason I can't quite remember I had trouble using REW and JRiver for room eq with the frequency sweeps generated in REW and outputing through JR. Something about a "virtual cable" software that I never got working. Then the MiniDSP came along and I hung it up trying to get JR DSP to work. My memory is vague on this so I may be making something out of nothing. Others have done it so will be interesting to hear how you manage this. Also your Venu mic may not work right with REW.

chrisB23

Hi, I am new here. No expert in measurements neither a technical skilled dude. The reason I comment is that I am a user of the DBX Venu 360 since 2018. I use it as an active crossocer for my horn driven speaker setup. See picture. I kind of stumbled over this review of amirm. I must say I was surprised about the results! I was looking a long time for a decent device before I found the DBX. There are quite okay crossover devices on the market as long as you use more or less conventional speakers in tems of sensitivity. The DBX offers a great flexibility for input and output level adjustments which is iportant if you use a responsive speaker combination. Otherwise a Speaker setup like mine with an SPL of 105 dB turns a quiet hiss into nerve wrecking noise. So after years of extensive usage I am still absolutely happy with the Venu 360. Extremely well sounding -at least to my ears- super usable with a nice iPad app. I can't confirm any of the critical points. I am also pretty sure that the bad measurment results are based on wrong settings. Finally I gave it a chance after reading this review and took a few hours to compare the Venu to a Minidsp 2x10HD today. Boy oh boy is that box noisy!! The software is kinda clumsy and old fashioned and was constantly crashing until I had to restart my mac several times and reconnect the Minidsp. No way I would give away my Venu in exchange for a mediocre device like the Minidsp.

Attachments

• DSC00600 2.JPG
    DSC00600 2.JPG
    820.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

gonzoucab

This is interesting. For a long time, there were TONS of these available for 400 used/refurb. That's the one I bought. Hope that had the fix. Also hoping we can settle this because I'm losing sleep over having an 84db sinad component.
how do you sleep bro?

gonzoucab

Hi, I am new here. No expert in measurements neither a technical skilled dude. The reason I comment is that I am a user of the DBX Venu 360 since 2018. I use it as an active crossocer for my horn driven speaker setup. See picture. I kind of stumbled over this review of amirm. I must say I was surprised about the results! I was looking a long time for a decent device before I found the DBX. There are quite okay crossover devices on the market as long as you use more or less conventional speakers in tems of sensitivity. The DBX offers a great flexibility for input and output level adjustments which is iportant if you use a responsive speaker combination. Otherwise a Speaker setup like mine with an SPL of 105 dB turns a quiet hiss into nerve wrecking noise. So after years of extensive usage I am still absolutely happy with the Venu 360. Extremely well sounding -at least to my ears- super usable with a nice iPad app. I can't confirm any of the critical points. I am also pretty sure that the bad measurment results are based on wrong settings. Finally I gave it a chance after reading this review and took a few hours to compare the Venu to a Minidsp 2x10HD today. Boy oh boy is that box noisy!! The software is kinda clumsy and old fashioned and was constantly crashing until I had to restart my mac several times and reconnect the Minidsp. No way I would give away my Venu in exchange for a mediocre device like the Minidsp.
Nice Kit!

How are you gonna sleep tonight knowing your sinad is 88?

Neddy

Same here, welcome @chrisB23! I love that rack!!
Mine, below:)
What horns are those??
@Alobar , I have a REW/Minidsp mic, too, don't forget. :)
(That's USB, whilst the Venu one is XLR.)
_1030103c sm - Copy.JPG_1030101c.sm - Copy.jpg

gonzoucab

Same here, welcome @chrisB23! I love that rack!!
Mine, below:)
What horns are those??
@Alobar , I have a REW/Minidsp mic, too, don't forget. :)
(That's USB, whilst the Venu one is XLR.)
View attachment 124483View attachment 124484

Can i ask you why you decided to do the crossover after de okto having the okto the capability of processin 8 channels? im thinking in a similar setup but with the crossover before the okto

Neddy

Yes. It's a 7.1 Mch system with the mains bi-amped, so did that downstream of the Okto in the Venu.
I already had the Venu, then added the OktoDAC8 (7.1 ch), which has AES1&2 outputs, so just re-configd the Venu from analog to AES inputs and kept using it with the OktoDAC.
But, since I'm already using a MF/HF passive xover, and the woofs don't really need one as such, I'd realized I could just do away with the Venu and feed the mains by daisy chaining the LF MF/HF amps and doing all the PEWs in JRiver....so now we shall see.
If it IS noticeably better, I'll sure miss the Venu's features.

kdp

Lovely System. love the rack. Do you think you could share some more insight into your speakers? Especially the coax horns? (possibly over Dm, so this thread doesn’t go OT?:

win

Guys can we get back to resolving my cognitive dissonance please

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys can we get back to resolving my cognitive dissonance please

... And the other functionality this product offers outweighs its deficiencies in SINAD in that it makes your speakers and acoustic sound better and that’s really what’s define the sound in the end .

Wombat

Master Contributor
It seems that buying test gear is not enough. One has to have an understanding of the test gear, the gear to be tested and its applications, and appropriate test protocols with validating checks.

Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Test lab 101.

naagratrax

Any idea guys about this one from Thomann vs Venue 360 for the measurement ? It's more recent apparently but i don't know if i can trust this specs :

Inputs Type XLR chassis socket (balanced) Level +18 dBu (max.)
Impedance 1 MΩ (stereo), 500 kΩ (mono)
Outputs Type XLR chassis plug (balanced) Level +20 dBu (max.)
Impedance < 500 Ω
Frequency response 20 Hz … 20 kHz, –0.3 dBu
THD < 0.005 % (1 kHz, 0 dBu)
Signal-to-noise ratio > 115 dBu
Crosstalk < 100 dB Digital signal processor
Resolution 24 bit Sampling rate 96 kHz
the-t-racks-dsp-408-283731.png

Top Bottom