• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does silver used in interconnects "sound" different than copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes they do :facepalm: ofcourse , the refuse to believe in blinded testing etc and does not understand biases and other psychoacoustical phenomena or somehow don't think it applies to them .

Just trying to understand the mindset .

For it to be possible to hear this , physics most be wrong really wrong not just some uncertainty about the details of quantum physics and dark matter but on every day macro phenomena . like that the "sound" does not use well understood electromagnetism to travel along the wire at all ?

So lets try to evaluate the probabilities and possibilities .

1* I alone in my living room figured that all of physics is wrong by hearing music signals being altered by different metals . yes electromagnetism is incomplete i can clearly observe this.... or

2* There may be a more human explanation for the "impossible" , people hear differences for equipment feets cable risers and a slice of bacon sitting on their amplifier or just about anything ? Maybe one should investigate the pesky details of human perception ? just a little ?

The possibilities of 1* are such that you probably need a team of physicist a particle accelerator and doing a 6 sigma experiment to really convince anyone . Yes even if you manage to do a double blind test that shows 1* is right the probabilities involved is such that a simple hearing test is just dismissed as experimental error anyway .
Yes what one tries to prove are on the level of functioning anti-gravity. A forum post would not do :) a complete theory of the mechanism involved and repeatable experiments.

So yes a leap of faith is at hand place some belief in science and not so much in some infallible golden ear hearing that does not really exist.

I'm just trying to understand .

I've personally been on the other side for decades , believing much of this cr*p myself ?
I just cant understand what changed in myself when i "fell out into reality" its just like someone switched the wiring in your head , so yes I cant really understand my own younger mindset at all o_O how could I believe in this ?

BluesDaddy

Agree. Plus your frame of mind - anticipatory, excited and attentive. Sooner or later we should face the fact that by far the two most important issues in hi-fi both have "oo" in the middle - room and mood.
The same reason why the first bourbon tastes better than the third...

Mozphet

What is a lighter than air diaphragm? What is it made of?
The mylar diaphragm used in electrostatic headphones for example. It's literally lighter than the air around it and it creates sound waves. Kind of mind boggling.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
mylar diaphragm used in electrostatic headphones for example. It's literally lighter than the air

This is just nonsense. While there are graphene-based compounds that technically can be considered "a solid", they cannot be used for a headphone membrane/diaphragm. And mylar's density is nowhere near that of the air!

Mozphet

Somebody has been deceiving you.
Possibly. Though it wouldn't be somebody, it would be a few dozen of headphone and speaker manufacturers. Even a few orthodynamics headphones have diaphragms that weigh less than air.

Whatever the case is, they impart a weird timbre that I attribute to the extremely light diaphragms - too light. I'm a much bigger fan of dynamic topology for this reason... More natural.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Though it wouldn't be somebody, it would be a few dozen of headphone and speaker manufacturers. Even a few orthodynamics headphones have diaphragms that weigh less than air.

Take one, set it on a table.

Take video as it floats up to the ceiling.

Post here.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
“Weights less than air” in general terms means “has lower than air density” - aka “the same volume/shape weights less”, “floats in it”. As an aerospace designer, I assure you, such claim if made is simply not true. End of story.

What those manufacturers might be calming is that the “weight of the diaphragm is less than the weight of all the air it displaces”. This is true. Moreover, I would claim this is true for _each and every driver - speaker or can - out there_! To illustrate, the weight of a cubic meter of air is about 1.2kg, and we can all agree that a speaker diaphragm easily fills with music a room larger than 1 cubic meter (~35sqft) while weighting significantly less than 1.2kg (~2.5lbs).

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even a few orthodynamics headphones have diaphragms that weigh less than air.
No they do NOT, none of them.
There is a lot of rubbish written about hifi relying on the fact the majority have not had any sort of technical education and are easily fooled.

Thankfully here is a place where this sort of nonsense is dispelled because so many completely ridiculous statements can be dismissed.
What those manufacturers might be calming is that the “weight of the diaphragm is less than the weight of all the air it displaces”. This is true. Moreover, I would claim this is true for _each and every driver - speaker or can - out there_! To illustrate, the weight of a cubic meter of air is about 1.2kg, and we can all agree that a speaker diaphragm easily fills with music a room larger than 1 cubic meter (~35sqft) while weighting significantly less than 1.2kg (~2.5lbs).
It causes pressure pulses in it, which is different to displacing it.

JeffGB

If a substance is lighter than air AND has the structural strength to not collapse from the weight of the surrounding air when its internal open area is a vacuum rather than air, it will float. Very light substances are usually filled with air rather than a vacuum and if they have a vacuum inside them, they are usually crushed by the surrounding air to a higher density than the air. That is my un-educated answer based on logic.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Party trick:

Take a helium balloon.

Tie a paper napkin/towel to the string, just enough to make it fall.

Cut off small portions of the towel until the buoyancy is balanced by the weight.

You can cause the balloon to rise off the floor, but not reach the ceiling, and "float" at the density gradient of the air in the room that will support it.

Air is more dense near the floor than the ceiling.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Consider that there is a HUGE difference between mechanical properties of a material (resonance per thickness/dimension) and conductance.
The difference in sound signature (which never has been shown to exist in any correctly performed test) seems to be related to people associating metal properties with what they hear... they know what metal is used, they see what metal is used, they hear what metal is used (by association).
That's how the brain works. That's why it cannot be shown in measurements and cannot be detected in blind tests (people not knowing what the cable is) but do clearly hear differences when they know what they are 'listening to'.

Silver nor copper nor aluminium nor gold nor other conductor wires act as notch or shelf filter. They only differ in conductivity (ohm).
This 4000%. Copper, with its warm color, sounds...warmer! And silver, with its cold color, sounds...colder!! Such a coincidence huh

BluesDaddy

This 4000%. Copper, with its warm color, sounds...warmer! And silver, with its cold color, sounds...colder!! Such a coincidence huh
Er, this proves that it is perceptual bias and placebo effect. There is no "real" difference except in the mind of the listener.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
t causes pressure pulses in it, which is different to displacing it.

In any case the air displaced by a diaphragm fixed at the edges varies inversely with frequency so "the air it displaces" is kind of meaningless. The thinnest Mylar that Dupont makes for headphones/electrostatic speakers is 2u, so that would be ~1/8 of an inch or so displacement at the center. At mid-frequencies this would be deafening. I suspect manufacturers are simply dumbing down the complex mechanical impedance issues in designing a headphone or speaker. Is there a "beating the dead horse" emoji?

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The mylar diaphragm used in electrostatic headphones for example. It's literally lighter than the air around it and it creates sound waves. Kind of mind boggling.
And it is also used in dynamic headphones as well. A material does not warrant any specific sound quality by itself. There’s more than materials in making a transducer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom