• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-5 announcement

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
DSC01212.JPG

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Testing is complete. I am going to do my stereo listening this week (already did mono). I am going to try to post my results by Thursday. But I've got a lot of data to get through because I tested the 6 (or 7?) different boundary configurations and have some "extra" data that I think will be useful or at least informational.

Coincidentally, @joentell is reviewing the IN-5 as well. I sent him the NFS's resultant Estimated In-Room Response last night so maybe he'll be able to use it for his video. I don't want to speak on the results yet in case he does. Joe and I are going to try to drop our reviews within a day of each other so people will get both of our individual assessments around the same time since we know a lot of people are curious about the performance of these speakers.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It is nice to see some coordinated, but independent reviews.

Well, FWIW, the timing just kind of worked out. Joe has had his speakers for a bit now. I just got mine in on Friday. I asked if he would like to release his review around the same time as mine and he said sure. Which I think is cool. But, yea, it's just coincidence.

That said, he also has another set of speakers I am reviewing. The Neumi BS5P. I don't know what his schedule is like but if enough folks really do like the coordination between him and I maybe we can try to do that again. But I definitely don't want to speak for him. He's got a busy review schedule.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Can you do a quite comparison to KEF coaxial speaker?

In what way? I do have a test of the Kef R3, if that's what you're looking for. Just click one of the links below in my signature and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

If not that, then let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.

joentell

Reviewer
Well, FWIW, the timing just kind of worked out. Joe has had his speakers for a bit now. I just got mine in on Friday. I asked if he would like to release his review around the same time as mine and he said sure. Which I think is cool. But, yea, it's just coincidence.

That said, he also has another set of speakers I am reviewing. The Neumi BS5P. I don't know what his schedule is like but if enough folks really do like the coordination between him and I maybe we can try to do that again. But I definitely don't want to speak for him. He's got a busy review schedule.
Yeah, no problem. We can coordinate something.

magic44ken

In what way? I do have a test of the Kef R3, if that's what you're looking for. Just click one of the links below in my signature and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

If not that, then let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.

The sound difference against the R3 such detail, naturalness (warmth or richness of the harmonics), imaging and soundstage, etc.. Thanks Eric

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I stay the same relative position. I even move head side to side up/down but stayed "the same" distance from ears to speakers. It is like night and day not as when I move head closer to speakers. Like I said sweet spot is very wide for these speakers but I reveal transients only when I "look down" and in every possible position it is better.

hi,

I am experimenting with Fostex wide-band “full-range” single driver speakers, which I consider may have similar characteristics to the co-incident driver in Kali IN-5 (official Fostex FE103NV measurement shows ~100hz-18khz Frequency Response).

I notice the same change in sound depending on head angle you are talking about.

The difference is maybe not as extreme as you say in your post, but it is obvious.
I notice a improvement in clearness and detail when looking down ~50 degrees, the attack of plucked guitar string seems more “correct” (when I look up it sounds dull as you said).
Certain vocals with high-frequency energy also seem clearer when looking down, and slightly dull when looking up straight at speakers.

With some songs it is hard to tell, so I am guessing it is dependant on certain frequency.
The Fostex FE103NV drivers start beaming like lasers in high frequency (10khz+), so I am guessing it has something to do with this, and interaction with the different angle of ear.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

... interaction with the different angle of ear.

Simple and easy to do experiment: Sit comfortably in your listening chair and play some of your favorite music. After awhile place your hands up alongside your head behind your ears with your small fingers (pinkies) just touching the backs of your ears. Slowly and gently move your small fingers forward pushing on the backs of your ears so they start changing shape. Notice how the sound changes. If you find a modified ear position that optimizes sound for you consider having plastic surgery done on your ears. ;)

mononoaware

Simple and easy to do experiment: Sit comfortably in your listening chair and play some of your favorite music. After awhile place your hands up alongside your head behind your ears with your small fingers (pinkies) just touching the backs of your ears. Slowly and gently move your small fingers forward pushing on the backs of your ears so they start changing shape. Notice how the sound changes. If you find a modified ear position that optimizes sound for you consider having plastic surgery done on your ears. ;)

In this particular case what is needed is adjustment to ear "angle", so I guess you will have to take ears "off", tilt them forward a bit, then have them stuck back on.
Much more efficient than plastic surgery...
I think the changes to your hearing will affect daily life though... so better off just tilting your head down.:)

mononoaware

Do you happen to know if this is the same driver used in the Fostex 6301?

They are both 10cm (roughly 4 inch) drivers, but I think that is where the similarities end.

If I had to guess, I would say the driver is somewhere in between the P series and FX series.

But Fostex (Foster) being the company that they are who's majority of business is catering to OEM parts, it is quite likely they were able to develop a unique driver for the 6301 cheaply and quickly using their resources.

I strongly suspect the driver is unique to the product (even if is based on a previous/abandoned design with very minor changes).

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

In this particular case what is needed is adjustment to ear "angle", so I guess you will have to take ears "off", tilt them forward a bit, then have them stuck back on.
Much more efficient than plastic surgery...
I think the changes to your hearing will affect daily life though... so better off just tilting your head down.:)

Of course. Just pointing out the parallel of how even the shape of our ears along with the angle of our heads affects the sound signature we hear from speakers. Ultimately the auditory cortex in our temporal lobe processes what we consistently hear over time as normal, aka speaker break-in. ;)

Neil.D.S

I agree. They are excellent, give people a chance for a proper three way concentric, the hiss is very low, virtually silent from a foot away if you turn the gain down a bit even if your RCA cables have a little noise, and they seem to have lots of headroom.

Now we just need a good xlr surround sound processor for a budget surround system with these and some subs.

Can't wait for Kali to make something even bigger now... Like a 10" woofer version with excellent extension and even larger waveguide to compete with tower speakers.
The Elac Navis would be a more apples to apples comparison. RCA is trash relative to XLR, passive is trash compared to active, no room correction and wonky frequency response is trash compared with even slightly corrected stuff with the IN-5, though the Elac Unifi is cheaper.

I'll bet it beats the Navis though, though I could see the Navis having a bit more bass and midbass if people like tilted sound. (I've heard both in my home.)

Hi, thank you for all your input! My first post but a long time forum "creeper".

I am currently running a desktop setup consisting of a DIY set of MarkAudio Alpair 7.3s hooked up to a Rega IO, Topping E30, and a tube buffer. I use the Rega IO to drive a pair of HD6xxs as well. I genuinely enjoy the sound, major improvement over the Micca RB4s I previously had. However, this was my first attempt at DIY speakers and let's just say the craftsmanship leaves something to be desired. I recently attempted a second set of boxes but my expertise and talents obviously reside elsewhere. First-world problems I know...

I originally chose the 7.3s as they are full-range drivers which improve near-field listening. I always had nearfield monitors in mind and after some research stumbled upon the Kali In-5s. I went to audition a set and left placing an order, the set should arrive next week.

I spend a lot of time at my desk for work, these will solely be used for "casual listening" and no mixing etc. I was hoping you could help answer a few questions for me?

1) Would the E30 be adequate with its single-ended RCA outputs? I currently have no issues with noise, hiss, etc. If it is adequate, then I am considering adding an L30 or a Darkvoice to drive my HD6xxs. I am also tempted to replace the HD6xx with a pair of Sundaras with the L30.

2) If the E30 will not be up to snuff, I am contemplating the Motu M4. Obviously, I would have to purchase an external headphone amp to drive either the HD6xxs or the Sundaras.

3) Alternatively would anyone be able to add any thoughts about running a pair of 177x GOs directly from the Motu M4? This would eliminate the need for a dedicated headphone amp.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, thank you for all your input! My first post but a long time forum "creeper".

I am currently running a desktop setup consisting of a DIY set of MarkAudio Alpair 7.3s hooked up to a Rega IO, Topping E30, and a tube buffer. I use the Rega IO to drive a pair of HD6xxs as well. I genuinely enjoy the sound, major improvement over the Micca RB4s I previously had. However, this was my first attempt at DIY speakers and let's just say the craftsmanship leaves something to be desired. I recently attempted a second set of boxes but my expertise and talents obviously reside elsewhere. First-world problems I know...

I originally chose the 7.3s as they are full-range drivers which improve near-field listening. I always had nearfield monitors in mind and after some research stumbled upon the Kali In-5s. I went to audition a set and left placing an order, the set should arrive next week.

I spend a lot of time at my desk for work, these will solely be used for "casual listening" and no mixing etc. I was hoping you could help answer a few questions for me?

1) Would the E30 be adequate with its single-ended RCA outputs? I currently have no issues with noise, hiss, etc. If it is adequate, then I am considering adding an L30 or a Darkvoice to drive my HD6xxs. I am also tempted to replace the HD6xx with a pair of Sundaras with the L30.

2) If the E30 will not be up to snuff, I am contemplating the Motu M4. Obviously, I would have to purchase an external headphone amp to drive either the HD6xxs or the Sundaras.

3) Alternatively would anyone be able to add any thoughts about running a pair of 177x GOs directly from the Motu M4? This would eliminate the need for a dedicated headphone amp.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil.

RCA is fine, you'll have less noise with the quieter XLR input though. No idea about that source device. Should make little to no difference.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
They are both 10cm (roughly 4 inch) drivers, but I think that is where the similarities end.

If I had to guess, I would say the driver is somewhere in between the P series and FX series.

But Fostex (Foster) being the company that they are who's majority of business is catering to OEM parts, it is quite likely they were able to develop a unique driver for the 6301 cheaply and quickly using their resources.

I strongly suspect the driver is unique to the product (even if is based on a previous/abandoned design with very minor changes).

I think it is this one http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Fostex/P1000K

Top Bottom