• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 Review (Streamer & DAC)

JRiggs

There you go - the plan is no plan ;-)
See my my post #83!
And my search for a great streamer without Roon dependency continues...

Oh, I am fully aware that the Matrix mini i3 models are geared toward Room users, which fits my needs as I am a Roon subscriber. I wasn’t reading the other thread in hopes for direct Spotify or Tidal streaming support.

Ordered the pro version last weekend to compare to the Cambridge CXN v2. No real issues with the Cambridge but only need a dedicated Roon end point. The Cambridge may be for sale soon...

SergioRZ

Hi all,

quick question:

Does the Matrix convert the signal from the RCA Analog line in input to digital for processing before outputing again to headphones out or RCA/XLR line out?

Or is it a full analog chain from input to output?

Thanks!
Sergio

Veri

Master Contributor
Does the Matrix convert the signal from the RCA Analog line in input to digital for processing before outputing again to headphones out or RCA/XLR line out?
I wondered about the same but the answer is "yeah". The analog input is digitised, then goes through the DAC, then goes through all the outputs.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mine is scheduled for delivery this Friday. I will compare it with the ARCAM ST60 and the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra + Pre Box S2 Digital. All three plugged into my Parasound Halo P6 pre amp so I can switch between them on the fly :) A-B-C comparison ;)

JRiggs

Mine is scheduled for delivery from China on Monday.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi all,

quick question:

Or is it a full analog chain from input to output?

Thanks!
Sergio

Yes, there is a AD converter in the chain from input to output.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mine is scheduled for delivery from China on Monday.

Mine left Shenzhen, China a few hours ago via DHL Express ;)

7BDDCF7F-A485-45DF-A06E-B2745B491480.jpeg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Are the benefits measurable? Amir has shown that transparent performance is attainable USB and TOSLINK so I'm not sure how much this interface can add.

Not sure if there are even benefits. I always take Paul McGowan words with a pound of salt, though.

MaadScience

Created an account just to offer my two cents on the Mini-i Pro 3.
1) It sounds great. Very transparent, extended, etc. It replaced a pretty high-end (if old) DAC, and playing Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" the instruments and voices sparkled like I had never heard before. Playing Roon into a Hafler 9300 into Acoustat Model 4's (so it's a bit of a modern meets vintage system).
2) If you use Roon or Airplay, the usability is seamless and smooth. No issues with setup or connectivity.
3) The slow volume control is annoying, as Amir has noted, but bearable.
4) I'm using it for my living room setup, so the TV goes into it via optical cable. That works fine, but I have an issue where it will randomly power down in PCM mode, every few hours of use. That doesn't happen when streaming. Software bug, I would guess.
5) Along with fixing that bug, I wish it could be programmed to accept control via another IR remote, my Sony TV remote in this case. I don't want to deal with a second remote for TV volume, so I had to buy a Harmony remote to control volume and switch inputs, and I find the Harmony software and mode-switching clunky and inconvenient.
6) The screen is too small for the album art display to be usable in a living room setup, but the volume indicator and track runtime are visible from 8 feet or so.

Overall very happy with the purchase.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Great review. Mine is arriving tomorrow but not concerned with the IR remote as it’s going to be on my desk nest to my Drawmer CMC2 monitor controller. But I know if I wanted to move it to my living room setup or to my bedroom, I can control it with the Harmony Elite I have in my living room and bedroom systems. I’m going to use it exclusively with Roon as I’m lifetime Roon subscriber ;)

SergioRZ

I've been playing with mine for a couple of days now, nice little bit of kit :)

I did expect it to be ADC for the RCA input, but still... it would be better to make it clear in the product spec list that the analog input is immediately converted to digital.

So far the only thing I dislike is the very slow and intermittent response to the remote control... I have to be very steady and push buttons several times to get it to actually operate anything. Quite annoying... :(

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I've been playing with mine for a couple of days now, nice little bit of kit :)

I did expect it to be ADC for the RCA input, but still... it would be better to make it clear in the product spec list that the analog input is immediately converted to digital.

So far the only thing I dislike is the very slow and intermittent response to the remote control... I have to be very steady and push buttons several times to get it to actually operate anything. Quite annoying... :(

Yep, I have read that the remote has issues and also how annoying is the volume control. Fortunately for me, whatever I decided to put mine, I’m setting the volume as fixed because the Matrix is going to be plugged either into a pre amp or into a monitor controller.

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Mine arrived last night, so I have had but little time to play with it. It was easy to get on the network and enable in Roon. I went through all the settings. I plugged in my HD-6xx and there was plenty of volume, plenty. Today I connected it to my Creek amp. I started playing a song on Roon when the device was in standby and it woke up, so there was no need to use the remote for power on. And after a bit it had gone back to standby. I do not know whether it will change inputs based on detection of an incoming signal. The volume numbers in Roon were a bit confusing, but it adjusts as expected and, in Roon, there was no issue with using the knob. So far I have used wifi and the result is great!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Well, at this time I have no much hope that mine is going to be delivered today :(

CF47E3C4-938C-479D-8D63-96B11A53BDC3.jpeg

respice finem

Major Contributor
Without these, we would not even be sure if the salt is really salt, and how much a pound of it is. :cool:
Belief is good, but knowledge is better.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My Mini-i Pro 3 got delayed at DHL Cincinnati Hub. It won't be delivered until Monday :( At least the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra + Pre Box S2 Digital should be available for pickup from my dealer after lunch :)

Top Bottom