• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have a 43" monitor on a relatively small desk so i don't have a lot of latitude to move the speakers. i could use some arms like those in the video, but i still don't think i'd go that big ;). oh, and i meant the 8040 is supposed to be not coherent at 1m and below according to https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors.

if the 8341 isn't going to get me better bass it sounds like a sub is a better option. i hadn't planned on a sub, but i can fit a 10" square under my desk no problem, and the svs micro pricing is pretty good

here's my desk with the speakers placed. note also that the bass may be thinning out because of the lack of rear port to wall placement. this will probably change after i move in a couple months.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFHQG1KHMrYYCqZK8

Do you have a way to measure? What does your bass response look like right now?

The 8341 does have more extension(Amir reviewed that speaker as well), but it won't have the extension of a dedicated subwoofer.

txbdan

You def want to get those babies up and off the desk to ear height. I have a similar setup and have them up on books until their stands arrive. I find the bass response pretty darn impressive for what they are. Have you taken any room measurements? In my office Dirac can get them flat down to 45hz.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i have the yeti pictured. it's not calibrated and yetis aren't omnidirectional though. i couldn't figure out REW last night. i'm not keen on getting a umik because my living room setup can't be EQd (for GAF it goes from the tv to toslink to a sabaj d5 to the fixed DSP for the bipole correction), so i don't feel like there's enough cost amortization. i use the yeti for teleconfs, but i don't see myself using the umik for that.

i can try to measure relative response with REW though through one of the condensors in the yeti. is there an easier app or a dead simple way to do a sweep and get relative measurement in REW? i couldn't get it to talk to my yeti at all last night

mkawa

Forum Donor
i did just put them on a couple of books and it was definitely an improvement!

YSC

Major Contributor
i have the yeti pictured. it's not calibrated and yetis aren't omnidirectional though. i couldn't figure out REW last night. i'm not keen on getting a umik because my living room setup can't be EQd (for GAF it goes from the tv to toslink to a sabaj d5 to the fixed DSP for the bipole correction), so i don't feel like there's enough cost amortization. i use the yeti for teleconfs, but i don't see myself using the umik for that.

i can try to measure relative response with REW though through one of the condensors in the yeti. is there an easier app or a dead simple way to do a sweep and get relative measurement in REW? i couldn't get it to talk to my yeti at all last night
If you got the ones already why not use the glm to calibrate and eq them internally? That’s why one would use the SAM series for no?

mkawa

Forum Donor
i figured out REW! it turns out there was a huge 10db trough between 60 and 100hz. i had REW put together a 16 (!) point eq for AUNband EQ and it's a world of difference. i hadn't realized until i took my first real measurement how far from klippel ideal room measurements are from reality in a room. with the trough fixed it's like i'm listening to an entirely different pair of speakers.

i realized that i can't connect the sp400 to both an unbalanced sub (specifically the svs micro) and the 8030s because the preamp of the sp400 has no RCAs, only a single set of XLRs, and balanced to unbalanced cables would short pins 1 and 3 for both the sub and the 8030s. but, with the REW corrections, the low end doesn't sound thin anymore. REW confirmed that the 8030cs drop like a rock below 50hz

i don't have 1s right now. i'm demoing 8030c for the next two weeks. i'm going to have a couple quotes worked up from my local dealer for 1s, but they're going to be out of my price range.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i figured out REW! it turns out there was a huge 10db trough between 60 and 100hz. i had REW put together a 16 (!) point eq for AUNband EQ and it's a world of difference. i hadn't realized until i took my first real measurement how far from klippel ideal room measurements are from reality in a room. with the trough fixed it's like i'm listening to an entirely different pair of speakers.

i realized that i can't connect the sp400 to both an unbalanced sub (specifically the svs micro) and the 8030s because the preamp of the sp400 has no RCAs, only a single set of XLRs, and balanced to unbalanced cables would short pins 1 and 3 for both the sub and the 8030s. but, with the REW corrections, the low end doesn't sound thin anymore. REW confirmed that the 8030cs drop like a rock below 50hz

i don't have 1s right now. i'm demoing 8030c for the next two weeks. i'm going to have a couple quotes worked up from my local dealer for 1s, but they're going to be out of my price range.

Nice! Glad you figured it out. Exactly why I always recommend measuring. Because of REW, the measurement mic I bought is the most valuable audio purchase I've ever made.

txbdan

^That's cool.

I've had these a few weeks now and damn. These (plus Dirac Live) are incredible. I can't imagine a better nearfield/office setup. So transparent. They just throw crystal clear and accurate music up into the air.

I think soon I'll integrate my sub (old Emotive Ultra10). It doesn't have pass through, but my interface (MOTU M4) has a second set of RCA outputs that I can run to it. I'll enable the Bass Roll-off on the Genelec and use REW's RTA to try and dial in the sub. Then I'll let Dirac Live clean up the rest.

Also, I ordered the Genelec L stands. They're on backorder, but hopefully they show up sooner or later. I felt like a sucker paying for them, but they should be the perfect setup for my desk. The open space under the speaker will help make my desk less cramped and cluttered I think.

galanakop

They just arrived.8330
and 7350
genelec 8330 vs 7350.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^That's cool.

I've had these a few weeks now and damn. These (plus Dirac Live) are incredible. I can't imagine a better nearfield/office setup. So transparent. They just throw crystal clear and accurate music up into the air.

Not counting silly sale prices, the 8030c are the best value speaker I own, no doubt. I was so surprised at just how much I preferred them over my Revel M105, which measure almost as well.

galanakop

I am waiting for glm in the next few days to complete the setup!!!
Let me also say that as a source along with the pc I also have the ifi ZEN Signature Set which shows very strong. And in combination with
4.4mm to XLR Cable does a very good job.

office No1.jpg
office No2.jpg

Who thinks that the position of the sub would be better ??? Where it is now or left next to the wall ???

YSC

Major Contributor
I am waiting for glm in the next few days to complete the setup!!!
Let me also say that as a source along with the pc I also have the ifi ZEN Signature Set which shows very strong. And in combination with
4.4mm to XLR Cable does a very good job.

View attachment 122746View attachment 122747
Who thinks that the position of the sub would be better ??? Where it is now or left next to the wall ???
Just wonders, in current position can you localise the bass from right floor when sitting at keyboard distance say during web surfing?

mkawa

Forum Donor
demoing the 7050 with the 8030cs, i found the sub to be very directional. i would put it up against the wall.

YSC

Major Contributor
demoing the 7050 with the 8030cs, i found the sub to be very directional. i would put it up against the wall.
sorry may I ask what you mean by directional sub?

Top Bottom