• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG says it might quit the smartphone market

MOCKBA

I am glad that LG are leaving. They have average quality phones and a terrible customer service. I told them - if you are not going to improve CS, you will die. They told, better we will die. My LG phone still runs Android 10, when the rest of the world 11.

Tks

Major Contributor
I am glad that LG are leaving. They have average quality phones and a terrible customer service. I told them - if you are not going to improve CS, you will die. They told, better we will die. My LG phone still runs Android 10, when the rest of the world 11.

Shame, since they always do some quirky stuff that no one wants to touch, but if it goes well, they get copied and refined by other companies.

I always hate when competition lessens. But that's how things go in capitalist driven global markets.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It’s official.

LG says the decision to exit the smartphone business was “approved by its board of directors earlier today.”

The company says the move is a “strategic decision”, citing an “incredibly competitive mobile phone sector.” LG says it will concentrate its efforts in “growth areas”, mentioning electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions and platforms and services.

LG says it will continue to sell out existing inventory of smartphones and service support and software upgrades will be available, “for a period of time” depending on the region.

The company says the closure of its smartphone business worldwide is set to be completed by July 31, 2021.

According to Reuters, LG tried to sell its mobile business unit to Vietnam’s Vingroup, but the sale failed to succeed, due to terms of the deal, say anonymous sources.

The smartphone industry is cutthroat and it’s hard to compete against giants Apple and Samsung, let alone smartphones from Chinese companies Oppo, Vivo and Xiaomi.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have used the lg v series strictly for the last 5 years...

jmillar

Good not equal to sales? Yes, well, there's more to marketing than advertising, and ESS DAC doesn't make it a good phone.

It wasn't bad at all, in fact. Welcome to dongle-dac world.

KR500

Have had problems with the 2 LG android smartphones I purchased.

monkeyboy

Just picked up a refurbished G8 for $200...should be a descent DAP for the money...can be expanded up to 2TB of storage...

Duffy Moon

I see price drops on eBay are a coming. Shame really, their p
V series phones are pretty nice. You aint ever going to see an ESS chip in a flagship phone ever again. Or a flat back without a camera bump.

The new Asus ROG 5 has an ESS DAC. I'd be interested to see how it measures.

Top Bottom