• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aftermarket headphone cables

DeepFried

Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket headphone cable shops/makers? preferably UK.

I'm not in the camp that thinks cables affect the sound, but a nice cable is still pleasing in many ways. Specifically I've just ordered some Senn HD600's, which come with a 3m cable, so I'm looking for something a lot shorter, about 1m.

I think the ideal cable (for me) would be well built, not too stiff, doesn't transfer mechanical noise too much, 3.5mm plug with screw on 6.35mm. Aesthetically pleasing, and not ridiculously expensive. But I'm also just interested to hear what cable shops you might recommend in general.

threni

Major Contributor
Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket headphone cable shops/makers? preferably UK.

I'm not in the camp that thinks cables affect the sound, but a nice cable is still pleasing in many ways. Specifically I've just ordered some Senn HD600's, which come with a 3m cable, so I'm looking for something a lot shorter, about 1m.

I think the ideal cable (for me) would be well built, not too stiff, doesn't transfer mechanical noise too much, 3.5mm plug with screw on 6.35mm. Aesthetically pleasing, and not ridiculously expensive. But I'm also just interested to hear what cable shops you might recommend in general.

You could cancel, order the hd660s instead and turn the balanced cable into an "official" single-ended one of whatever length you desire!

Takanaka

Forum Donor
I like Dyson Audio cables a lot. Just the regular copper cables though, litz braided, teflon dielectric, 24 AWG, finished with Neutrik connectors, flexible and lightweight. Doesn’t get much better than that.

jannek

Received a balanced cable for my DCA Aeon today. Made by koalaaudiocables.com. Solid specs without the usual voodoo, perfect build quality, competitive price and free worldwide shipping from Perth, Australia. Absolute recommendation.
From the UK I remember oidiosound.co.uk, a bit pricier but pretty cool looks. No personal experience with them, I have to admit.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Sennheiser stock cables are pretty hard to beat in weight and flexibility. Just tie up the excess length about 30-50 cm away from the plug (to avoid undue stress), problem solved. Why do people always have to make things so complicated?

Or shorten them. The 3m cable on my HD560s was way too long and I would have preferred a 3.5mm jack, so I shortened it to about 2m and fitted it with a nice 3.5mm jack plug with a 6.3mm adapter: https://www.studiospares.com/hicon-hi-j3563s-mini-jack-plug--screw-in-jack-adaptor_509080.htm

With my Focals, I really didn't like cables that came with them, they're very stiff. I got a replacement from customcans.co.uk, it's very light and soft and you can have it terminated whith whatever you like. They also do Sennheiser cables: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables.html?cat=61

VariousArtists

I got a replacement from customcans.co.uk, it's very light and soft and you can have it terminated whith whatever you like. They also do Sennheiser cables: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables.html?cat=61

I have pretty good experience with Custom Cans too (other than the long wait), their cables are thick (in a good way) as well as light and soft. Just be careful with the colour choices, they can be very flashy :D

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
I recently bought a custom cable for a Dan Clark headphone on eBay UK from the seller „jack-james-knight“. Nice work, reasonable prices and a very kind person to deal with!

BigJim79

Custom Cans as others have put are decent. They don't claim any magnificent improvements which also gives them a big plus in my eyes. I'm about to order a T1 Gen 2 Cable for my HE4XX.

Top Bottom