• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question:-

Do you have to use You Tube? Can't you host the videos on your own server? I know nothing about the economics of doing so, but I can't imagine there are so many simultaneous streams as to cause bandwidth problems, but I might be completely wrong on this.

Anyone interested in the subject would be able to find the videos, unless the object is to capture drive-by viewers.

S

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you have to use You Tube? Can't you host the videos on your own server?

What, our own video servingstreaming website? ASR-Tube? AssRTube? (Audio Science Streaming review TUBE)

The actual premise of the "tube" (for a CRT) for TV is long gone. Let's call it Audio Science Streaming Review Interactive Platform. (ASS RIP) ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
vimeo.com is always ad free.
Odysee.com and Dailymotion.com are good ones too.
Also a good option if you like to reach zero people.

Katji

Major Contributor
Not using Youtube would be like "defeating the ends of justice." (So to speak. I don't know that it needs spelling out.)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
YouTube has really tightened the screws lately. Mostly with adverts for their subscription. The ultimate indignity is the "don't want your stream interrupted?" Interruptions.

Their music side cripples your audio codec, pauses every 15 minutes for manual input, plays ads, and holds chromecast to ransom for £10/month. It sucks!
Let's call it for what it is. They are acting as a monopoly, and at some point, soon I hope, this will bite them in the ass. I am more and more frustrated by the control the Big Tech companies have over our our lives. I am trying to act consequently. Ad blocker to start.. The rest is to wean myself from Chrome...

KSTR

Major Contributor
Maybe a dual approach, upload to Youtube only a teaser (summary) edit of 5mins max -- with the disclaimer statement prominently placed -- and link to the full version version hosted elsewhere?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also a good option if you like to reach zero people.
You made my day!:p

Sure, that's a pity, but you have to live with YT rules if you want to reach a wider (widest) audience. Ads are not a big deal to me: I use AdBlock+ anyway. I can't avoid them when using YT App on my phone, tho. You could put a disclaimer in the description about it, maybe a link straight to this topic? I see nothing wrong to be monetized, once ads will be there all the same...:( Ads should not be anything related to audio in my experience, but it may be up to everyone everywhere...

Maybe a dual approach, upload to Youtube only a teaser (summary) edit of 5mins max -- with the disclaimer statement prominently placed -- and link to the full version version hosted elsewhere?
I understand the idea but he will loose half of his subscribers that way.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Several years ago I tried setting cookies on Google linked sites to only share the personal data I was comfortable with. Subsequently most pages did not open.
I abandoned Google then, started using DuckDuckgo as a search engine and don't use Chrome or Android.
It creates a few limitations but I am happier with them than I am with having anything to do with Google.
If I want to watch a Youtube video I simply decline the option to sign in.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Several years ago I tried setting cookies on Google linked sites to only share the personal data I was comfortable with. Subsequently most pages did not open.
I abandoned Google then, started using DuckDuckgo as a search engine and don't use Chrome or Android.
It creates a few limitations but I am happier with them than I am with having anything to do with Google.
So do I. DuckDuckGo as search engine and as browser on android, Firefox as browser elsewhere. No sign-in on youtube. If ads on youtube disturb me I download the video with youtube-dl and watch it locally (it's becoming the new standard for most videos with longer runtime).

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question:-

Do you have to use You Tube? Can't you host the videos on your own server? I know nothing about the economics of doing so, but I can't imagine there are so many simultaneous streams as to cause bandwidth problems, but I might be completely wrong on this.

Anyone interested in the subject would be able to find the videos, unless the object is to capture drive-by viewers.

S
you then have to worry about search optimization which, without it, you may never be found. You will likely never be able to beat being found when on youtube. Then again, maybe, Amir doesnt care. If not, hosting on this site is good enough

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another, and potentially better browser is BRAVE, in my experience. But its security "features" quite often break websites

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Adblock Plus
1617621200818.png

Plus a massive amount of sites and chit blocked at router level.

Attachments

• 1617621263486.png
    1617621263486.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 68

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Another, and potentially better browser is BRAVE, in my experience. But its security "features" quite often break websites

I use Brave on my phone.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I use Brave on my phone.
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/search.html#ddg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you then have to worry about search optimization which, without it, you may never be found. You will likely never be able to beat being found when on youtube. Then again, maybe, Amir doesnt care. If not, hosting on this site is good enough

Why would we care? The information is out there. If anyone wants to find it, they'll look. As there's no desire to monetise the videos, then why does it matter how many views they get? The information is there to increase the sum of human knowledge, not for ego or money.

As a matter of principle, I try never to watch YouTube videos except where a manufacturer effectively replaces their manual as a how-to video, which sadly many are. It was bad enough when a well-written paper manual was replaced by an unwieldly multi-language manual, to be replaced by a cartoon strip of unfathomable symbols, now to be replaced by a video. And they cal it progress!

S.

Top Bottom