• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 Review (Audio Interface)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Black Lion Revolution 2x2 audio interface (DAC, ADC and headphone amplifier). It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $399.

The Revolution 2x2 comes in a very heavy and hefty enclosure:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface Review.jpg

I thought this meant that it had an included AC mains adapter. I was wrong, it is USB 'bus powered:'

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Headphone Amplifier Interface Review.jpg

While the Revolution is plug-and-play compatible, I went ahead and downloaded the native driver. I was a bit disappointed to see the implementation using thesycon software. I find this to always be buggy requiring at least one reboot, and re-install of the driver to get it to work. Once there, performance using ASIO interface was the same as class driver.

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 DAC Measurements
I used the USB as the input and monitor out in the back as output to get our usual dashboard:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Measurements.png

I expect a pro interface to be easily capable of producing 4 volts here but as you see, despite me cranking the volume to max, I could not get more than 3.2 volts. The worst news is the sum of distortion+noise as expressed in SINAD. 94 dB is quite poor as it can't even deliver 16 bit audio transparency, resulting in Revolution 2x2 landing in a sampling of interface DACs I have tested:

Best audio interface dac review 2021.png

I thought something was wrong with the measurements but the company specifies the same:

1617595102849.png

We are actually getting a hair better at 0.0018%. Hoping lower output level may be better, I swept it but that was not the case:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC THD+N vs level Measurements.png

The issue here is rather high noise floor which is evident in dynamic range test:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Dynamic Range Measurements.png

We are 10 dB short of company specs here. Company does provide a note on this front:

1617595212191.png

Maybe such tuning by ear happened post measuring the device and publishing that spec. Either way, I am not sure how noise floor can be compromised for some sonic ability when it is so audible unlike distortion.

Moving on, IMD versus level suffers the same fate due to high noise floor:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC IMD Measurements.png

It is matching a phone dongle as far as noise level is concerned (dashed orange).

Jitter test shows the same high noise floor:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Jitter Measurements.png

Linearity test filters out noise so performance there is much better:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Linearity Measurements.png

Likewise multitone shows us distortion separate from noise so performance there is good as well:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Multitone Measurements.png

The filter is the typical "lazy one" that cuts off at 24 kHz instead of 22.05:
Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC Filter Measurements.png

Performance when sweeping frequency was exceedingly bad:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC THD+N vs Frequency Measurements.png

This test uses wide bandwidth though so let's see what exists in audible band:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface DAC 1 kHz FFT Measurements.png

Boy, that is a massive rise with frequency post 30 kHz.

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 ADC Measurements
Let's reverse the path and see what we get when we digitize the analog balanced input. Here again the unit could not handle nominal input voltage and I had to set the gain to minimum and lower the level to avoid clipping:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface ADC Measurements.png

So less embarrassing than the DAC performance:
Best ADC review 2021.png

Frequency response is flat enough:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface ADC Frequency Response Measurements.png

You can see the lack of headroom easily in IMD versus input level:
Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface ADC IMD Measurements.png

Sweeping the input frequency shows little dependency:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface ADC THD+N vs frequency Measurements.png

But gets beat by a consumer interface (EVGA Nu Audio in dashed red).

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 Headphone Output Measurements
Let's see how much power we have at 300 ohm:
Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface Headphone Out Measurements.png

As expected, not much. Same is true at 33 ohm:

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2 USB Audio Interface Headphone Out 33 ohm Measurements.png

Output impedance was lower though than some other outputs I find on interfaces so that part is good.

Regardless, for any serious headphone listening, you need an external amp unless you use something very efficient.

Conclusions
$400 for this? Really? The DAC performance is just horrid and unacceptable in any consumer device let alone professional. The ADC is better but operates at consumer voltage levels. Headphone output is the checklist feature as expected. So really, nothing to hang your hat on.

The Black Lion Revolution 2x2 is a big disappointment. If tuned by ear, I suggest getting a better protocol in place and at any rate, not produce the highly limiting input and output voltage levels.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the Revolution 2x2. There are so many better interfaces out there that deliver proper performance, not promise it and then miss it on so many levels.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I seriously question the USB C connection for semi "pro" gear. I don't reckon it will stand up longterm.

Is it like the Focusrite 2i2v3 where the USB C is not actually USB 3.0, it's just 2.0 but uses the type C connector?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
B-but did your ears agree with their choice? :p
"Electronic design is a game of compromise and we’re confident your ears will agree with our choices." ~ Black Lion Audio on Revolution 2x2

respice finem

Major Contributor
I think it's the same as in consumer gear - the manufacturers believe this is "the future standard", and the more believe so, the more likely it becomes. Time will tell...

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I seriously question the USB C connection for semi "pro" gear. I don't reckon it will stand up longterm.

Is it like the Focusrite 2i2v3 where the USB C is not actually USB 3.0, it's just 2.0 but uses the type C connector?
Is there any audio Interface that use USB 3? For data I can't see any benefit, The extra current could be nice for the headphone out tough?

bsv

Wow-wow, easy! I've almost ordered this 'beautiful' audio interface and you've ruined my dreams :(
Can you measure Audient ID14 mk II and Motu M4?

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. Wish this could do better.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
My previous experience with Black Lion taught me they are purveyors of flowery language and empty promises. They once modded one of my MOTU interfaces and succeeded in killing one channel and making the rest of them sound worse than stock.

chris719

As long as the user is not abusing it. For studio use and such, it might get "interesting", but then, the sooner a device breaks, the sooner a new one can be sold ;)

Yeah, but I’m not sure it’s any worse than USB B connectors. I’ve seen those ripped off of boards too.

dfuller

Major Contributor
That is bad. $400 for that performance and a janky Thesycon driver? Absolutely not. At least with Audient the performance is better despite the wack-as-hell drivers.

Top Bottom