• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

Toku

Major Contributor
@Toku , between the aiyima a07 and sa300, which sound better?
It is difficult to compare the A07, which does not have an EQ, with the SA300, which can control the sound quality with an EQ.
The A07 feels a little more dynamic than the SA300 when played at high volume. On the other hand, when playing at a low volume, the SA300 can use the EQ SDB, making it easier to hear than the A07 and enjoying music with a natural feel. I also feel that the sound is a little more detailed than A07.
Both are very good amps for me. In addition to these, I have many Chinese amplifiers, and I switch amplifiers according to my mood at that time.

donald24

I agree. I own the DA-8s and I'm completely satisfied.

Me too - though I was a bit surprised to see to have it so much air inside its case, after hearing it:

IMG_0032.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
Me too - though I was a bit surprised to see to have it so much air inside its case, after hearing it:

View attachment 120644
How does this amp connect the XLR balanced input to the NJW1194?
There is only one dual channel op amp on the input.
In my imagination, the RCA input is directly connected to the NJW1194, and the XLR input is input to the NJW1194 by connecting an op amp for phase inversion to only one side of the hot or cold and synthesizing its output with the other side.
I think this circuit method is very incomplete as a balanced connection.

Last edited:

milan616

Forum Donor
@Toku can you test one of your SA300s with short speaker wire and see if it has any problems? I want to know if I should return mine for a better functioning one or not. Anything under 12 inches/0.3 meter caused me instant problems.

Toku

Major Contributor
@Toku can you test one of your SA300s with short speaker wire and see if it has any problems? I want to know if I should return mine for a better functioning one or not. Anything under 12 inches/0.3 meter caused me instant problems.
In my layout, the SP cable needs 1.5m. I've never tried a shorter cable.
What kind of problem did you encounter?

milan616

Forum Donor
In my layout, the SP cable needs 1.5m. I've never tried a shorter cable.
What kind of problem did you encounter?

I finally figured out why my SA300 was clicking with all of my speakers (Pioneer FS52, Dennis Murphy AA+). It wasn't the speakers, it was the length of speaker wire. Even when I made new wire same problem, but if I made it longer I could turn the amp up more before it failed to clicking. I asked an electrical engineer friend of mine and more length adds more "parasitic capacitance" and that helps keep the output stage of the SA300 working.

Feesh

Is it possible to buy something like the LRS-100-24 already in an enclosure?

This seems a bit too much for a newbie like myself to handle :)

Really appreciate all the gathered info!

Hotwetrat

It is difficult to compare the A07, which does not have an EQ, with the SA300, which can control the sound quality with an EQ.
The A07 feels a little more dynamic than the SA300 when played at high volume. On the other hand, when playing at a low volume, the SA300 can use the EQ SDB, making it easier to hear than the A07 and enjoying music with a natural feel. I also feel that the sound is a little more detailed than A07.
Both are very good amps for me. In addition to these, I have many Chinese amplifiers, and I switch amplifiers according to my mood at that time.

Hello Sorry what's the 'SDB' ?? And what exactly does it do because I have looked for an explanation on the SA300 settings and had trouble finding anything in the manual.

I've been using DIR (Direct, I assume :/ )

Last edited:

aebln

Is it possible to buy something like the LRS-100-24 already in an enclosure?

It's not that difficult to do.. otherwise something like a Mean Well GSM90A24-P1M really should do - it was just me nitpicking.
An LRS-100 with an enclosure ultimately cost less though, and is a tidy 26V solution that I screwed to the underside of my desk - doesn't get warm, no heat related problems so far.

signal-2021-03-30-151130.jpeg

Feesh

It's not that difficult to do.. otherwise something like a Mean Well GSM90A24-P1M really should do - it was just me nitpicking.
An LRS-100 with an enclosure ultimately cost less though, and is a tidy 26V solution that I screwed to the underside of my desk - doesn't get warm, no heat related problems so far.

View attachment 121136

But in the end getting something like:

https://www.voelkner.de/products/13...eJPHTItu43lJRuEp9xDoqM3UNe2cK2mkaAqZFEALw_wcB

Would still be a better choice than the PSU that comes with the SA300?

l0f3y3

I got a SA300 (newb here) a few days ago. Was using a Fosi BT10A. Been playing a FiiO M6 into the SA300 streaming tidal.

The Fosi is warmer. Smoother. The SMSL is tight, accurate, very crispy. Both very different. The SDB setting from what I found is it is SMSL Dynamic Bass....or in other words a compressor. I was listening to some Led Zeppelin masters to the SA300 hooked into vintage AR M1 Holographic imaging bookshelves...sound was brittle and the upper mids and lower treble were painful. (not surprising as the Led Zeppilin masters were EQ'd for vinyl by the way they sounded. Vinyl was heavy on the bottom and thin on the middle and top. PLus they were meant for scoopy speakers.) I swapped out the AR for Micca OoOs and turned on SDB and it sounded pretty solid and vinyl like, rather pleasant. I am listening to some meditation ambient music now back on the AR's with the SDB on and it sounds very smooth. I think I am liking that EQ setting. It certainly makes the SA300 more musical on HiRes stuff. EQ/Compression is okay in this case, I feel that these little digital amps are just too accurate and dry otherwise. I sort of want to add a Bellari Rolls EQ in the line going forward. I hooked the fosi backup to the OoO's for when I want to listen to EDM and Pop all thumpy and squishy. Jazz and classical sound like crap on them. But I like the SA300 and FiiO M6 combo. I am adding a ifi Hip-Dac...should be interesting.

SOme of those masters on Tidal are questionable for listening to without some processing to mimic final mechanical listening vector. Particularly multi-track rock from the early 70's. The new amps and gear seem to have no problem with modern electronica, hip-hop and pop...stuff digitally recorded at high resolution and mastered for phone consumption. Cheers....love the stuff you all do here. Will be lurking.

on edit: SA300.....was a bit buzzed.

Last edited:

aebln

But in the end getting something like GSM90A24-P1M
Would still be a better choice than the PSU that comes with the SA300?

I am rather sure about that, even though my original SA300 PSU was dead on arrival and I could not compare it. But its quality is very low.

Feesh

I am rather sure about that, even though my original SA300 PSU was dead on arrival and I could not compare it. But its quality is very low.

Might buy it just to compare, have no real gripes with the supplied PSU.

I do get a high pitched tone when turning the volume all the way up - guessing it's the power supply (not audible at normal listening levels tho)

Will report if it goes away.

Toku

Major Contributor
It seems very similar to the SMSL DA-8S, albeit with a much better screen.
This power amplifier is a product that is equipped with two DA-8s MA12070 chips and changed to PBTL. It seems to have basically the same circuit design as the DA-8s except for the display.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got my SA300 today. It is supposed to be a gift for my daughter...playing now BT WCRB stream on ProAc Response 2. For a BT iPhone Xr stream it sounds...excellent driving low efficiency ProAc at medium listening levels w ease. Compared to my Hypex NC400 modules/Weiss MAN-301 FLAC files/ Okto dac8/Paradigm Studio100 v.3 + Strata III x 2, the sound is less analytical and less full range... however outstanding quality in absolute terms even not considering the small price of the SMSL SA300...there is also a very nice and precise soundstage...

Top Bottom