• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Tortie

Forum Donor
Finally had an opportunity to listen to the Atom with my Sony Z7 and pairing works extremely well. Sound is super clear and musical. The Atom has the right balance of detail and smoothness. For the HD650 I mostly use high gain. Gain is set at 0dB for the Z7 and it sounds fantastic at this setting which surprises me since every other amp I've used has never sounded good at 0 gain.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thoughts on the Atom vs the Schiit Heresy pleez.
Atom with a replaced better knob will be smoother to use IMO. Power-wise they are quite close... Heresy knob can get scratchy (very small knob). Atom DAC+amp vs Heresy+Modi stack aesthetics is rather personal.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hellos.
Has someone added weight to it so that it doesn't fly off or to be able to change headphones without effort and juggling?

cheers.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Hellos.
Has someone added weight to it so that it doesn't fly off or to be able to change headphones without effort and juggling?

cheers.

You could use 3M fasteners (interlocking tape) to secure the bottom of the amp to the shelf or desk underneath. This is an inexpensive and reversible solution.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hellos.
cheers.
It actually does have 4 weights on the inside. I put my D50 DAC on top of it. I have used Tortie's idea, 3M slim velcro, in the past and that works great.

cryptout

I'm considering bridging and removing the volume pot. Did anyone already try this? (I prefer to use my D50s digital volume with remote)

King3567

I have a question as well, I have a couple of headphones and sometimes I will want to use a different amp - I know this has an output, can that feed into a second headphone amplifier, or will this cause problems? Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a question as well, I have a couple of headphones and sometimes I will want to use a different amp - I know this has an output, can that feed into a second headphone amplifier, or will this cause problems? Thanks
Don't see why not, it has a preamp function on the performance level of the head-amp. So should be fine to use the way you envision.

King3567

Don't see why not, it has a preamp function on the performance level of the head-amp. So should be fine to use the way you envision.

thanks

the second amp is definitely higher distortion than the atom amp, so I don’t know really why I will be doing this, but I just feel like it. Ok. Gracias

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
A noob question here: I have a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus sitting around doing nothing and just wondering if this would be a decent pairing with the Atom headphone amp?

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Well, I don't know why I said Plus:facepalm:. I'm sure I looked at the box, but I have the DacMagic 100. Has that been reviewed here?

Edit: found it, measures close to the Plus. Same question, though. Would I be good enough with this or should I look for something better & more recent?

Thanks

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Top Bottom