• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Question chaps, might sound too naive. In Windows does the volume indicate the hardware volume or the direct sound volume that is being sent through the DAC? I can't go past 14~16 out of 100 on low gain even with Sennheiser HD560S :p

staticV3

Master Contributor
Question chaps, might sound too naive. In Windows does the volume indicate the hardware volume or the direct sound volume that is being sent through the DAC? I can't go past 14~16 out of 100 on low gain even with Sennheiser HD560S :p
That's the dongle's digital hardware volume, controlled by UAC2 commands.
If you're unsure, just try playing foobar in Wasabi mode. If the volume slider still works, it's hardware.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
That's the dongle's digital hardware volume, controlled by UAC2 commands.
If you're unsure, just try playing foobar in Wasabi mode. If the volume slider still works, it's hardware.
Did you mean Wasapi ;)? I suppose then I have to be very careful with using the volume slider within the foobar2000 application

staticV3

Master Contributor
Did you mean Wasapi ;)? I suppose then I have to be very careful with using the volume slider within the foobar2000 application
Foobar's own volume slider is always software. Windows' slider is software with regular DACs and automatically switches to hardware with compatible DACs

highpurityusbcable

automatically switches to hardware with compatible DACs
Thanks, I had no idea and checked it with my D10s. Windows slider is synchronized with Topping driver volume output control. Tempted to use keyboard media volume binds instead of L30 volume pot from now on because I'm too lazy to reach it with my hand sometimes.
Do I lose some "bitperfection" with this method? I can't tell the difference.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks, I had no idea and checked it with my D10s. Windows slider is synchronized with Topping driver volume output control. Tempted to use keyboard media volume binds instead of L30 volume pot from now on because I'm too lazy to reach it with my hand sometimes.
Do I lose some "bitperfection" with this method? I can't tell the difference.
Digital hardware volume will reduce your bit depth, yes

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Foobar's own volume slider is always software. Windows' slider is software with regular DACs and automatically switches to hardware with compatible DACs
That's why I have to be a little more careful not blowing up my eardrums :D

daniell92

To avoid clicks over 48khz? So it is not possible to take advantage of dsd and high resolution right? Limited to 48khz

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To avoid clicks over 48khz? So it is not possible to take advantage of dsd and high resolution right? Limited to 48khz

Not sure which post you are replying to . This device can play higher resolution PCM above 48 khz no problem. Never tried DSD.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Playing 44.1KHz on the regular Meizu HiFi using UAPP will result in stutter. 96/192/DSD works fine from what I remember.
The Meizu HiFi Pro doesn't have this issue at all.
Furthermore, when playing 44.1KHz content on the regular Meizu HiFi with foobar wasapi output, no stutter occurs.

daniell92

Playing 44.1KHz on the regular Meizu HiFi using UAPP will result in stutter. 96/192/DSD works fine from what I remember.
Furthermore, when playing 44.1KHz content on the regular Meizu HiFi with foobar wasapi output, no stutter occurs.
I recently got the meizu master hifi, I use it on the pc. Which sampling rate do you recommend? 32bit 384? 24/96? Putting the maximum available (32/384) are there problems with audio interruptions?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Never personally had any stutter on Android via UAPP on either the Pro or Hif at any rate (this would be playing mostly Tidal via UAPP) but I can well imagine others have issues on different releases of Android/ UAPP . I certainly have with other dongles too. Its a fickle set up.

Top Bottom