• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does an amplifier make sensitive headphones sound better?

Thomas_bati

I have a complete beginner amps question. Unfortunately online I could not find an answer, only explanations on the impedance. With the same dac, does an amplifier in the case of low impedance and high sensitivity headphones make them sound better? Or does an amplifier only turn up the volume? For example I have a couple of akg k371. If I connected them to a good amplifier, would I hear any differences compared to a dac that still provides excellent volume? Thank you all for any replies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The K371 don't need more than 2.5V (120dB SPL !!!) and 1V (a phone) will get you already up to 114dB SPL.
Both are loud already.

Whether or not you can hear an improvement depends on the used headphone out 'section' of the used device.

Top Bottom