• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
RCA & volume in front and XLR and HP jack in the back ?

Yes not perfect and not typical, the reason were the shortes signal tracks. This was a prototype for me only. In my avatar you can see a similar headphone pre (top) that I designed and that was produced in a small series and has usual placement of the connectors.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes not perfect and not typical, the reason were the shortes signal tracks. This was a prototype for me only. In my avatar you can see a similar headphone pre (top) that I designed and that was produced in a small series and has usual placement of the connectors.

Indeed, but who cares, MAKE IT SHORT ! :p
Hey just thinking loud:
For the sake of the shortest signal, you could put these on the top,
No, on the sides (like a RPi) but then you need a U shaped case.
But true, your Avatar's one looks more "conventional".

PS- Why "small" series ? This site and the web is waiting for you ;)

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Why "small" series ? This site and the web is waiting for you ;)

I am enjoying it as a hobby now. Never was a fool enough to want to make a living with this ;)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.
Call me stupid and afraid to show my ignorance, but I couldn't see the 15v connector ?

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Thank you.
Call me stupid and afraid to show my ignorance, but I couldn't see the 15v connector ?

I need 3 wires: +15V, 0V and -15V. I use the Neutrik (beside the output 6.3 mm TRS) and shielded twisted pair wire to lead the power. 0V/GND on the shield. Usually the 4-pin Neutrik, though here is the 3-pin version, just for myself.

egellings

Major Contributor
Trying to fix a switchmode supply. I usually have rotten luck in getting them to work. I'm giving it a try anyway.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yet another guitar amp - a Peavey Ultra Plus this time. Just needed a new quad of power tubes and a couple of pots cleaned and it's off and running again.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A Kenwood KR-8010 that could use some love. Needs pots and selector switches cleaned, and probably some re-capping. Sigh...

mjwin

Since I'm fixing a piece of audio equipment, I thought I'd post details here.

DSCF8171s.JPG

This is the chassis of a Bush tabletop radio (AC34) which was bought by my father in the mid-fifties. I remember it in our house as a kid. Then, later it got cast out to be used as a barn radio where it had a hard life. Birds roosted on it, spiders nested within, the veneer peeled away in the damp & it just gave up. I discovered it in a pile of junk in the early eighties, rescued it, had the veneer replaced, and fixed it up. Over the next 30 years it had periodic use (it has a shortwave band which can still be quite interesting to listen to), but I remember that it suddenly died around 10 years ago. I've been meaning to look at it since then &, now that I'm in "repair mode", its turn has come.

The ravages of time have taken their toll. But it has a common fault: the aged waxed paper capacitors have started to leak (electrically) & the output stage grid has slowly been pulled towards the anode potential of the previous stage. Presumably, the current increased and, finally the output transformer could take no more & the primary went open circuit. I've just unwound the transformer to investigate but, with 3000 turns of 0.1mm diameter wire on the primary, it's not something I care to rewind! Fortunately, I've found a modern equivalent &, after replacing all of the waxed capacitors with polypropylene types, and a few high-value resistors too, it works once more!

But we're not out of the woods yet: the radio still has a horrendous powerline hum, even using smoothed HT from my lab supply. Investigation showed that there's considerable leakage between the heater & grids in the output tube/valve. I guess that the mica insulators have accumulated a thin metal film from the excessive current flow. The tubes are all Mullard U-series types with heaters designed to be series connected. With approx. 50V AC on the heater, even a couple of Mohms leakage resistance feeds considerable hum into the audio circuit & the tube will have to be replaced.

I just had the crazy idea of zapping away the metallic deposit by putting a few kV between heater/cathode & the other pins. I'd need several Watts to vaporize this, so it would be a pretty lethal setup... It's probably fortunate that I don't have a suitable EHT supply to hand!

Maybe I'll post an update when I've replaced the UL41...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Remote control getting sluggish and one button not working. Genuine replacement ~ $AU80

Mine is similar to the one in this fix:

https://vk4ghz.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt720-ir6-remote-not-working/

I followed the instruction and the remote control is like new again. :)

I am puzzled as to what the gel-like residue on the circuit board and contact side of the silicon button pad is - see link.. Anybody know?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am puzzled as to what the gel-like residue on the circuit board and contact side of the silicon button pad is - see link.. Anybody know?

Coca Cola, beer or whatever else you dropped it into. ;)

When the membrane button pads cease to work again down the track (they all do), paint the upper pad with conductive paint- it lasts longer in between repairs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Coca Cola, beer or whatever else you dropped it into. ;)

When the membrane button pads cease to work again down the track (they all do), paint the upper pad with conductive paint- it lasts longer in between repairs.

No spills. One idea is a reaction between battery vapour and the silicon.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Looking very good! :)

Thanks John! It is only a prototype case/heatsink/box, so it could be better. Just taking what I have here. The case is
1) heavy (those heatsinks, transformers etc.)
2) expensive

30 kg, however I will pass the 1 hour 1/3 continuous sine power test :D. And the full power BW :D

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
SOA simulation into complex load, worst case. Just close to the edge ....

SOA_sim.png

Top (blue) is power per device, bottom (red) is I(V) trajectory for one device

Top Bottom