• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to add Dirac to my setup?

CMB

Just in case of any interest to someone ...
I use Audirvana (not Foobar or Roon) as a player with a Mac mini into a RME ADI DAC.
Used to play with Foobar during many years before.
I had to change for using a Mac mini (no Foobar), but am happy about having invested 70 EUR in Audirvana (I think it is around EUR 100 now).

Audirvana can stream from Tidal (what I do) and also Quobuz.

I have Dirac Studio integrated into Audirvana as a plug-in and it works perfect now.
As soon as I launch a music file, Audirvana launches the Dirac plug-in.
It is very well integrated and running smooth.
I am quit happy.

The downside of the set-up is, Dirac room correction is only available with the Audirvana player.
When I am listening with CP-player, TV, or else, I need to use the EQ from ADI DAC.

Last edited:

sophie smith

Hi Sophie,
1. - Correct
I cannot give you answers to 2. and 3., I think the best way would be to open a ticket to Dirac's help desk here: https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+Support

re 3., Dirac Standalone works as a virtual audio device in Windows, so there is no need for VST plugin support on the player SW side, as you can see on the pic., I can set the output to Dirac Standalone DLP in my old version 1.3.13 of Foobar2000.
View attachment 116631

To answer your last question, Yes.

Best,
Thanks!

I think I read somewhere here another member got Dirac live 3 upgrades for free all the way from initially purchased dirac 1 version.

Soundstage

@jerome
I am very happy with Dirac Standalone used with a DAC for room correction of my main speakers.
How can I use it to add one or two subwoofers to my setup? Is it possible to plug several DACs and manage the crossover?
Thanks

jerome

Forum Donor
@jerome
I am very happy with Dirac Standalone used with a DAC for room correction of my main speakers.
How can I use it to add one or two subwoofers to my setup? Is it possible to plug several DACs and manage the crossover?
Thanks
Hi,
unfortunately I don't have any experience with setups other than 2.0. :(

Best,

CMB

Hi - maybe and certainly this is not the best way to do it but that is how I integrated a sub and use it with Dirac Studio :

Using Dirac Studio on Mac mini.

Using RME dac as pre-amp
Pre-amp connected (L+R) to Sub (Chinch in)
Sub connected back via Chinch out into the AMP
Amp obviously connected to the speakers

First, I have integrated the Sub via REW to find the most ideal placement, frequency and phase.

Then, I ran Dirac sweep just as for 2 full range speakers.

I also made different presets : fullrange, different curves or limited Dirac to <500 Hz or <200 Hz.

As I am not an Audio Ingenieur, certainly this might leave some issues, but at least it works well, especially on the Bas/Subwoofer.

Would be thankful to any hints for improvements as well.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Hi - maybe and certainly this is not the best way to do it but that is how I integrated a sub and use it with Dirac Studio :

Using RME dac as pre-amp
Pre-amp connected (L+R) to Sub (Chinch in)
Sub connected back via Chinch out into the AMP
Amp obviously connected to the speakers

First, I have integrated the Sub via REW to find the most ideal placement, frequency and phase.

Then, I ran Dirac sweep just as for 2 full range speakers.

I also made different presets : fullrange, different curves or limited Dirac to <500 Hz or <200 Hz.

As I am not an Audio Ingenieur, certainly this might leave some issues, but at least it works well, especially on the Bas/Subwoofer.

Would be thankful to any hints for improvements as well.

That is about the best that can be done with a stereo DAC. Something with a crossover in the middle would give finer control (unless the Sub has crossovers for both itself and the L and R outs).

I wish DAC vendors would start making 4-ch DACs or a way to daisy chain two stereo DACs with a single multi-channel out (USB).

This would allow various configurations - 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 based on requirements. A lot of the processing can then be done in digital prior to the DACs - including more precise EQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I wish DAV vendors would start making 4-ch DACs or a way to daisy chain two stereo DACs with a single multi-channel out (USB).
MacOS will let you do that by creating a "virtual" device of 2 or more DACs, distribute the channels among them and use a simple USB hub for connection.

kejar31

Dirac for 499 is about the same price and Audiolense which can be easily integrated with Roon. Why are so many people dead set on Dirac?

Vasr

Major Contributor
MacOS will let you do that by creating a "virtual" device of 2 or more DACs, distribute the channels among them and use a simple USB hub for connection.

I once asked the Schiit guys about doing this with their stereo DACs but they shot it down as not always guaranteed to work even though I was looking to purchase multiple units from them. Something to do with clock syncs and independent buffering in each unit. Don't understand the technical reasons. Whether it creates an audible issue, I am not sure. If it is a fixed delay, you can correct in DSP but if it varies while playing, might be difficult.

I see that Mac has the ability to use a clock from one device for all and to provide drift correction if necessary. I am not sure what you need from the DACs themselves or it would work with any DAC.

I think it works better with pro audio equipment if it can provide a stable clock as input to the Mac or the devices can be tied together with a world clock.

When I tried an experiment a long time ago with two sound cards to provide multi-channel outs by directing different channels via Voicemeeter in a PC, they would be fine sometimes and really out of sync sometimes and tend to drift for longer listening periods. Seemed like the sound cards had some small but unpredictable start times for sound coming through. Perhaps, Apple has solved this for use with any DAC or it is not an issue for external DACs.

Reactions: CMB

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I once asked the Schiit guys about doing this with their stereo DACs but they shot it down as not always guaranteed to work even though I was looking to purchase multiple units from them. Something to do with clock syncs and independent buffering in each unit. Don't understand the technical reasons.
I've done it with Myteks (which have clock links) but the Schiit guys are very "conservative" about any off-label use of their products.

Top Bottom