• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For those of you that are around 50 YO and over - do you think about death?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I and a few friends around that age (50 or so) began to second guess how their life had gone vs where it might have gone. Some wanted to make some changes before it was too late. Some just became melancholy about what might have been. And two for a while became pre-occupied with death. Seems moderately common. Wish I had some super words of wisdom for you. Everyone seems to work thru it in a couple years one way or another. If it takes longer than that or becomes too intense get some professional help.

Afterwards most seem to eventually slide toward the oft described one day at a time. Be glad for what you have, and enjoy it as it happens. Doesn't mean you have no goals or that you might not make changes where they matter to you. One thing to me is a few of my long term desires had become habit more than really meaning much to me anymore. And a few things that were now of more interest than they used to be could be embraced if I let go of those old habitual wants. Some of those I let go of were liberating.

From what I see of those older than I who age most gracefully, they rid themselves of old baggage mentally and materially. Then simplify their lives in accordance with who they've become at that point. Not much point as you pass 70 complaining about what you can't do anymore. That shouldn't be all that hard to figure out, but some actually struggle with it. Those who re-assess who they are at that point and what is possible seem to fair the best.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?
Why would it feel different at 70 than at 35?

I know that I might go tomorrow. I am at peace with that possibility.
Human life is very fragile, many of us are not afforded the luxury of reaching old age and dying of natural causes.

It sounds cliché but:
Live every day to the fullest, focus on the here and now. Be aware of the future but never at the cost of the moment.

Whether death is a door to another plane or the end, who knows. Religion says it is, science says: we do not have any data. It doesn't matter right now. Whether there is or isn't any future, just try your best to live in a way that if there was a future, you would not have to look back in regret or shame.

Death isn't something I am particularly afraid of. Growing old, senile and needed to be taken care of by strangers because I can no longer maintain my own body... now THAT's a scary prospect.

mansr

Major Contributor
The only birthday I dreaded was 40. I don't remember why, just that I dreaded it.
My 40th was in August. It went by uneventfully. Maybe regularly working with other number bases than 10 has cured me from attaching importance to round figures.

In general, I prefer simply live a day at a time, never take anything too seriously, and never look back. I might die tomorrow or live another 50 years. Either way, once it's over, I'll no longer care.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The older you get the faster time passes and the less time you have left. What makes it interesting is usually you don't know how much time you have left.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How do you deal with this sad fact of life? How does it feel to be over 70, knowing you can go any day?

Social Security, a part of our benevolent money printing government that knows something about death rates, says, if you are 70, you have a 2.289% chance of dying in the next year.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Those are pretty good odds.

You don't hit 50% till you're 108, if you make it that far.

---

I'm 68 and just started flying lessons.

I still ride a motorcycle, an old (2002) 1200cc Suzuki Banidit, for which I changed the tires (quite a chore) and endless chain last year.

I replaced the water heater here last week, rebuilt the plumbing attachments to my own specifications.

I don't think much about death, because I'm not dying yet.

---

"The dead know only one thing. It is better to be alive." - Private Joker, Full Metal Jacket

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good." - Steven Wright

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am 40 and still healthy. Had near death experiences as a youngsters during the civil war back in 90's and once or twice later on. Then never thought about it, lived day per day. Had my dark days as everyone else. Death is inevitable thing and also uninspiring, inspiring is to live and feel alive. Have grandmother, she turned 91 last year. She had a very rough life. Became orphan during II World War and had to take care of junger brothers and sisters. She lived through the civil War as well. Had a five strokes before she stopped caunting. Always worked and I am sure that helped her. Yet she is so full of life and that's inspiring to me. My advice to you is rediscover those little things that make you happy, find a new hobby for instance you could start gardening and growing your own vegetables and you will find those taist good and so do life. Make your self relevant, start making plans a lot of them and live long and prosperous life.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm 57. I think about death almost weekly. But, if you live then surely you will die. No one gets out alive.
I believe in an afterlife. One's last day in this life is one's first day in the afterlife. You can only take things one day at a time.
I think the OP's doctor may be on to something with his/her diagnosis. I agree that Xanax is an awful medicine as it is addictive and will eventually be ineffective. I'd recommend the OP see a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist in order to get a better medicine and some advice on how to enjoy the time he has left.

Top Bottom