• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, the new one will look very much the same.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just got my L30 corrected but very unfortunately it does not turn on, my old L30 has burned out, I am the one that had a pair of takstar pro 82's that have melted, so it was loss of L30 plus headset.
I guess the adapter has also burned out when my old L30 failed.
In that case you can buy only the L30 adapter? Or can Topping send me one?
The truth that I waited so long and it doesn't turn on is very frustrating.
I'm using translator, sorry.

Contact topping (@JohnYang1997) about your headphone and what could be wrong (transformer is possible)
When you put your ear against the transformer when it is plugged in do you hear a faint hum coming from the transformer ?

threni

Major Contributor
What should I do if the seller doesn't want to replace this time bomb?

They don't need to; they need to liaise with Topping so Topping can send you a new one. You could name them here so people know who to never buy anything from again.

miguelx74

2012 (and secretly 2011) already have the DC protection fix. Halfway during the 2012 production run the ESD fix came. All the 2012 that were still at Topping had all been retrofitted manually. Some (about 10%) were already sent out.
One cannot 'modify' a pre 2012 DC protection circuit. A different PCB layout was needed so also is not something as simple as changing a value here and there.

All 2011 and beyond L30's can do not 'destroy' headphones unless you blow them up by playing low power rated headphones at full power. But that is one's own fault.

Hi.
So between an L30 (2011 ..) and an L30 (2012 ..) there is practically no difference?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, the 2012 has the ESD fix added as well, or at least 90% of them.

snowboy

They don't need to; they need to liaise with Topping so Topping can send you a new one. You could name them here so people know who to never buy anything from again.

I bought it from a local marketplace, the seller is not an authorized dealer. But I think Topping should still be responsible, because they sell defective products.

threni

Major Contributor
I bought it from a local marketplace, the seller is not an authorized dealer. But I think Topping should still be responsible, because they sell defective products.
Typically your contract is with the retailer. But possibly the law is different where you are. You'd have to check. Your credit card company might help. If you didn't use a credit card that's something to consider in future.

Frio

Depends on if the seller bought it from them. They are not responsible if for example someone buys knowingly defective units and sells them. Contact your seller.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have 2011, how to check ESD fix?

It doesn't have it. Contact your dealer to have it replaced.
When you cannot get it replaced you could DIY when you know how to do this.

Tortie

Forum Donor
I just got my L30 corrected but very unfortunately it does not turn on, my old L30 has burned out, I am the one that had a pair of takstar pro 82's that have melted, so it was loss of L30 plus headset.

Topping didn't include a new power adapter with the replacement package? If true that's pretty lame and cheap of them. Your frustration is understandable. Seems like Topping is trying to save a buck at the customer's expense.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Your retailer is responsible or they aren't allowed to sell you goods.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Topping didn't include a new power adapter with the replacement package? If true that's pretty lame and cheap of them. Your frustration is understandable. Seems like Topping is trying to save a buck at the customer's expense.
That's not just a buck. The transformer has no fault and literally weighs more than the unit itself. Anyone would be insane not saving "a buck".

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You can contact our customer service or your seller. They will get you a new adapter. Your case is failed unit which is different from just normal replacement. So it's all covered.

Tortie

Forum Donor
That's not just a buck. The transformer has no fault and literally weighs more than the unit itself. Anyone would be insane not saving "a buck".

Speaking of "bucks" a Topping product fried one of Jimbob54's expensive headphones and FedHal is out an $82 pair of headphones and now needs to needlessly wait another couple of weeks for a resolution to his case which could have been avoided. A good reputation does not come cheap.

Top Bottom