• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Audiophiles are people that like overbuilt things. Things that are much better than necessary. Looking at the watch thread, I realized one thing. I might have a hifi problem, and I might have a watch problem. But for sure, I do not have a knife problem.

a8qvVROg.jpg

I mean these are just 4 of my Spydercos, and it's not like a have a lot of other knives. So any other guys out there who do not have a knife problem?

Zerimas

Audiophiles are people that like overbuilt things. Things that are much better than necessary. Looking at the watch thread, I realized one thing. I might have a hifi problem, and I might have a watch problem. But for sure, I do not have a knife problem.

a8qvVROg.jpg

I mean these are just 4 of my Spydercos, and it's not like a have a lot of other knives. So any other guys out there who do not have a knife problem?
Man, I love Spydercos! I have a whole mess of them. I'll try and find them. My favourite is my flatground J.D. Smith.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither do I. I'm probably a bit overstocked though:

knives.jpg

Unfortunately most of them live in a drawer and never see daylight. Counted from right I use #5 and #11 when fishing, #10 for french bread (must do this in style, it's an Opinel) and #13 in the garden. But mostly I use an old Victorinox Swiss Champ because it's in my pocket and has sooooo many functions (33, and it took me half an hour to locate the needle).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A few handy ones... One or more of these are always on me.
0929191054.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
One of these days I'd like to get a nice butterfly knife and learn to play with it. Don't know anything about the manufacturers though.

I have three Chinese cleavers in my kitchen. By far the best way to cut, chop, dice with any level of fineness you like. Plus they work like a little axe if you ever get a tough vegetable, like cassava, and need to exert more than the usual downwards force.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of these days I'd like to get a nice butterfly knife and learn to play with it. Don't know anything about the manufacturers though.

I have three Chinese cleavers in my kitchen. By far the best way to cut, chop, dice with any level of fineness you like. Plus they work like a little axe if you ever get a tough vegetable, like cassava, and need to exert more than the usual downwards force.
Care to post a pic?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oooh... a knife thread!!!

I got this cheap 7" Nakiri knife off Amazon last week... It was less than $30.

4ZejAovh.jpg

But I found it too big and clunky, so I sent it back and got two of these Thai Kiwi knives instead. They're $12 for 2 - hard to beat for the price, and they get the job done.

gzkcF3Th.jpg

I also have a bunch of inexpensive small EDC folding knives. Here are some of them...

cKOuvn7h.jpg

AoPQnVOh.jpg

YWWoxFyh.jpg

I also have a bunch of multi-tools...

IE1ZDyfh.jpg

oKjeqSnh.jpg

8tnCIoyh.jpg

Last edited:

milw50717

A few bits of the usual pieces of sharp cutlery - Fairbairn-Sykes, Bund Victorinox and Fliegerkappmesser, my father's army jack knife and a few other issued things - as well as some Spyderco and Gerbers

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
need the best because i am a chef

Have you checked out
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

I haven't bought from them in about two years..but was happy with what I got when I did.
Edit: Turns out they still have one I use everyday:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/riariigy21.html

BD1N is a great knife steel. At 63 Rockwell it is a nice balance for edge life and chip resistance. You don't need to buy anything more expensive.

BTW, as you likely know, most 'knife sharpeners' will simply ruin the edge. I use one similar to this, which precisely sets the angle and allows choice of grit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089GLHRNV/

I do not use stones however. I make 'same dimension' thin 1/8" plywood carriers for disposable strips of 400 to 2000 black carbide paper..Never clogs. Always fresh. Use with baby/mineral oil - not water..

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've owned (and still own) quite a few, but have eventually settled on these:

Kizer Sheepdog!

img-kizer-sheepdog-01.jpg

And my EDC beater, the Sanrenmu SRM-B787.

sanrenmu-b-787-1-600x600.jpg

luft262

1621401382752.png

This is how I roll in the kitchen!

Top Bottom