• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.8

SKBubba

For better or worse, Valence (which power Roon Radio) is determined based on the listening characteristics of other Roon users. That's why you get the thumbs up/down option after it chooses each song - was that a good choice or not? All of that information is compiled and used to make future recommendations. As a result, it is unlikely ever to be the curated list that you are looking for. If a bunch of other users thought that Soundgarden was a good choice after a Nirvana song, then that is what it will keep serving up - which is why you end up hearing a bunch of obvious choices. It works much better for exploring genres you are less familiar with.

This is the fundamental problem with Valencia or whatever it is they call their "artificial intelligence" learning machine.

The first problem is, who sits glued to their screen, anxiously waiting to hit thumbs up/down to help train roon, versus just listening to music?

Second, they say they have 100,000 users (who are "experts") influencing their AI.

Even if that number is true (which is debatable), it pales in comparison to Spotify's 120 million++ users, and who knows how many Apple and Amazon users, all of which have non-intrusive, passive algorithms that figure out what people like to listen to, and curate based on that, resulting in pretty good suggestions and playlists of what you might want to listen to.

Unlike Roon, which seems driven by people who seem to only like Miles Davis, Bruce Springsteen, and Mungo Jerry.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is the fundamental problem with Valencia or whatever it is they call their "artificial intelligence" learning machine.

The first problem is, who sits glued to their screen, anxiously waiting to hit thumbs up/down to help train roon, versus just listening to music?

Second, they say they have 100,000 users (who are "experts") influencing their AI.

Even if that number is true (which is debatable), it pales in comparison to Spotify's 120 million++ users, and who knows how many Apple and Amazon users, all of which have non-intrusive, passive algorithms that figure out what people like to listen to, and curate based on that, resulting in pretty good suggestions and playlists of what you might want to listen to.

Unlike Roon, which seems driven by people who seem to only like Miles Davis, Bruce Springsteen, and Mungo Jerry.
I hear you. I think there is no doubt that Spotify’s algos are amazingly good. I don’t mind Roon Radio, but I don’t disagree with you either. Maybe that’s because I like Miles Davis and Mungo Jerry. (But Springsteen? Never.)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Has anyone tried it on the new M1 chip Macs?

It works fine on my x86 Macs, but just ordered a new laptop, though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yup, I'd go with this. I love the software for how I can manage multiple streaming services /local files and do lots of DSP. The metadata /recommendations side of it is a sideshow for me

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yup, I'd go with this. I love the software for how I can manage multiple streaming services /local files and do lots of DSP. The metadata /recommendations side of it is a sideshow for me
Again, got to agree. I never signed up to Roon for recommendations. It was always about the integration of streaming and DSP for me. I've come to really appreciate the integration of local files and streaming favourite as well.

SKBubba

I hear you. I think there is no doubt that Spotify’s algos are amazingly good. I don’t mind Roon Radio, but I don’t disagree with you either. Maybe that’s because I like Miles Davis and Mungo Jerry. (But Springsteen? Never.)

I confess that I like Mungo Jerry, too!

milw50717

So, I took the plunge after a couple of updates were released and all went well with the core running on a Linux box and 3 x RoPieee endpoints. No issues or serious complaints after a day of use.

HoJ76

After two attempts (followed by uninstalling) of roon, I have tried again - for the third time, it is said all good things are three (at least here in Norway). The background for another attempt has been changed from tidal to qobuz. I use a gamel i5 laptop from 2010. I have two such computers, one for the main system and one for the headphone system. The problem is that qobuz is quite heavy to run so the processor was mostly between 80-100% all the time (especially 24 \ 192). What I found was that with roon, qobuz worked perfectly even in the best quality. So instead of buying new laptops, I went to invest in roon. Another thing is the possibility of eq via rew - great!

Top Bottom