• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Japanese audiophiles

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I remember in the 1970s a Japanese American audiophile friend of mine (who didn't become an audiophile until after moving to the USA as a symphony musician) showing me Japanese hobbyist audio magazines. I was impressed to see rows of club members in folding chairs with clip boards doing ABX auditions and the clubs did statistical analysis of the results. Way smarter than any USA clubs I ever went to meetings of.

charleski

Major Contributor
I’ll never understand how people can stuff so much gear their room they can barely move. What’s the point of listening to massive speakers from 1m away? As Fremer showed recently, one of the dangers of $500k turntables is that they stop you getting to your rekkids:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's also a young woman who likes tubes - thread on here about her?

Aerith Gainsborough

I’ll never understand how people can stuff so much gear their room they can barely move.
I live in a 16.2m² apartment and recently found out that I like surround sound.....
Well now I too have to dance around speakers when moving. *chuckles*

Nearfield setups can sound very good though. Much more direct sound vs reflected, so room is less of an issue. Add room correction software and you can have some real fun.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Professionals in recording and mastering laugh their heads off at these guys (rarely if ever ladies), they really do. All that effort for a band limited, severely distorted and compressed vinyl medium and I bet the music is the tool to play with the gear. The rooms are often claustrophobic with the treatments too, but the speakers (a couple of cases the inferior passive version of a pro active monitor), in wonderful shiny veneers and the audio shrine, often with valves and vinyl carefully laid out in between them, is what counts... No idea at all what goes on in the mixing, mastering and vinyl pressing stage.

Katji

Major Contributor
It has already been corrected.

Katji

Major Contributor
JBL, big-time, and many of the major horn engineers.

And things like Shindo. Classic valve amp designs upgraded in perfectionist style.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Last I knew, "crazy" wasn't a regional thing

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am amazed at Japanese audiophiles too with their obsession on old JBL Paragon speakers
Yes, I enjoy them squeezing huge classic JBL main monitors in their small homes :D

Top Bottom