• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluetooth microphone as an addition to wireless headphones?

linkert

Here's the situation. I want to do my job while listening to music through my HE-4XX. I like how convenient the music fades out when the phone rings and then resumes when the call is done. So I want a bluetooth microphone to make this work for me properly.

Anyone else use a combination of wired headphones and bluetooth microphone with their phone? If so, what model microphone do you have and are you happy enough to replace it if it was lost?

Yasuo

I guess it depends on the phone model. I did something similar but on a computer. When BT is on, the bandwidth is reduced (by half or more), not sure if it applies for wired audio.

Why not use a wired mic connected via a splitter? That way both you and the person you talk to will enjoy the full audio quality.

OP
linkert

linkert

I guess it depends on the phone model. I did something similar but on a computer. When BT is on, the bandwidth is reduced (by half or more), not sure if it applies for wired audio.

Why not use a wired mic connected via a splitter? That way both you and the person you talk to will enjoy the full audio quality.
No headphone/mic jack on the iPhone :/ Headphones run through an E1DA 9038D DAC.

How would that splitter have to be for this mess to work? Sure a simple 3,5mm splitter would work but mix in some thunderbold and USB-C into it and things get odd.

iPhone with it's thunderboltoddity -> Splitter into 1. USB-C for the E1DA and 2. A 3,5mm jack for the microphone.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I think the problem will be the phone's limited audio routing options. Maybe the iPhone's different, but every phone I've seen limits you to picking the entire headset, rather than picking mic and output separately (apart from a couple of linux phones that few would accept as a phone). You 'd need the E1DA to include a mic input that the phone would see as part of a headset rather than a separate entity, or a bluetooth adapter that did the same. It seems like the Qudelix 5K would do the job, but there are probably others:
https://qudelix.discussion.community/post/microphone-question-11406952

Yasuo

I think the problem will be the phone's limited audio routing options. Maybe the iPhone's different, but every phone I've seen limits you to picking the entire headset, rather than picking mic and output separately (apart from a couple of linux phones that few would accept as a phone). You 'd need the E1DA to include a mic input that the phone would see as part of a headset rather than a separate entity, or a bluetooth adapter that did the same. It seems like the Qudelix 5K would do the job, but there are probably others:
https://qudelix.discussion.community/post/microphone-question-11406952

On Android you can choose a wired or wireless headphone to be just the output during calls and use the built-in mic. Would that work on an iPhone? Assuming the built in mic is convenient for @linkert.

I do have some iPhones at work, I might test this when I have the time.

Top Bottom