• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Different" music for bored music lovers

tankas

^^ The last video shows the artist walking by a Hudson Bay store, this is definitely not happenstance as the firm did not have a good track record dealing with the indigenous population from the get go across Canada. Perhaps a subtle f**k you....
Sorry to hear, all I know/understand that I like these tunes and it comes from Canada.

pads

Lot's of great music from all sides, I was just adding some colour commentary as many from outside the country would miss. It's a form of protest which I greatly admire.

PaulD

Gotta love Harry Partch! His books are also compelling, where he argues that western music went wrong around the time of the crusades and we should be using a 43-note-to-the-octave scale. Then despite being homeless, an outsider and without much support on the west coast of the USA, he wrote volumes of music and built the instruments to play it!

Here is a fun intro if you do not know his music.

PaulD

And not toooo different from the Harry Partch vein, here is Charle's Ives' piece Three Quarter-tone Pieces for Two Pianos, which I find just beautiful, and the most in-tune quarter tones one ever hears... It's hilarious where he quotes "The Entertainer" in quarter tones at about 6'20"!

Last edited:

zaphodbeeblebrox

1614580035581.png

or anything PJ harvey. Just that bit different.

pads

Gotta love Harry Partch! His books are also compelling, where he argues that western music went wrong around the time of the crusades and we should be using a 43-note-to-the-octave scale. Then despite being homeless, an outsider and without much support on the west coast of the USA, he wrote volumes of music and built the instruments to play it!

Just watched a documentary on Tom Waits and how he was heavily influenced by him.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Have this LP, nobody stole this..

Moderate Dionysianism

Been looking forward to this, arrived on my doorstep today.
Available on streaming platforms too, and I cannot stress how good it is. Thanks for mentioning it!
I'm going to further explore the Sahel Sounds catalogue. I had only heard the Ahmoudou Madassane album a couple years back.

Some more from me:

Inga-Lill Farstad - Blodmarihånd [from Einstape] - another piece of electroacoustic bliss, combining soft vocals, found sounds and slow-moving ambient passages.

...and for something completely different: zeitkratzer / Svetlana Spajić / Dragana Tomić / Obrad Milić - The battle at Mačkov kamen [from Serbian War Songs] - IMHO the closest music has gotten to capturing the dread and misery of war. A soul-crushing album

PaulD

I hate self-promotion, but a friend was just looking over my shoulder and insisted that I out myself as writing a bunch of music that would fit in here... Enjoy!
(I tend to write virtuoso instrumental parts with realtime DSP [I'd like to say virtuoso DSP as well...]. The organisational form is based on concepts of fragmentation and continuity as an opposed duality, across many aspects or layers; for example the DSP will be rearranging the overtones madly for a while but that will slowly settle down... I find it all very entertaining, and totally fantastic to watch in live performance. I never thought my music translated well to the recorded medium and listening at home, although others for whom I have great respect disagree...) I also just noticed that there is more where that came from on YT - I did not put them up, I guess the CD label did... I certainly have never made a cent form YT views :D

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The Field - Infinite Moment, Aka Axel Wilner Swedish electronic/synth/drone techno genius, synths build ever so slowly over a syncopated percussion with a deep sweeping and pulsating sub bass that ties every together as the track gets bigger and bigger and bigger till you realise you’ve been holding your breath for the previous few minutes, then the track ends................which is good as if the track was any longer I’d pass out.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The pace of life was slower in the early 'fifties, I reckon -- and manliness must've been a different thing altogether in those days. ;)
Actually, my guess is that the local barber shop would've been well stocked with periodicals like that one (as well as the naughtier variants, as Hef was already plying his wares in 1953, albeit barely).

... but I digress.

Top Bottom