• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do USB Audio Cables Make A Difference?

Kane1972

Thing is, if the cable is bringing noise into the system, this would be measurable. As Amir measures the analogue outputs of DAC’s, this noise would show up, but I don’t believe it has yet?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is, if the cable is bringing noise into the system, this would be measurable. As Amir measures the analogue outputs of DAC’s, this noise would show up, but I don’t believe it has yet?

That is because you don't *believe*.

See the tinkerbell effect...

redstang

But they do have their limits in bandwidth, Toslink will go 24/96 2ch, maybe 24/192 with some gear and short lengths.

Maybe so, but debating the need to go to bandwidths far outside the range of human hearing is yet another discussion. I don't think anyone was saying that it was a requirement to be playing 'hi-res' files like DSD 256 in order for those USB cables to make a difference. I assume they will profess to hear differences when playing CDs.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe so, but debating the need to go to bandwidths far outside the range of human hearing is yet another discussion. I don't think anyone was saying that it was a requirement to be playing 'hi-res' files like DSD 256 in order for those USB cables to make a difference. I assume they will profess to hear differences when playing CDs.

I would argue that DSD is "hi-res", as DSD was a reasonable solution for archival of analog tapes back in the 90s considering the limitations in processing power at the time. The problem with DSD is that it can't be processed/EQ'd/mixed without being converted to PCM and back. We should
also remember that the 1-bit format only has a signal-to noise ratio of only 6 dB, but thanks to the noise shaping the noise gets pushed up to inaudible frequencies.

redstang

I would argue that DSD is "hi-res", as DSD was a reasonable solution for archival of analog tapes back in the 90s considering the limitations in processing power at the time. The problem with DSD is that it can't be processed/EQ'd/mixed without being converted to PCM and back. We should
also remember that the 1-bit format only has a signal-to noise ratio of only 6 dB, but thanks to the noise shaping the noise gets pushed up to inaudible frequencies.

??

I was using DSD as an example of a hi-res file format.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using DSD as an example of a hi-res file format.

And I was disagreeing with the caracterization of DSD as "hi-res", but OK, "hi-res" is a meaningless marketing term anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Although still beyond human hearing, I was originally speaking to the multichannel world needs. Quad recordings and up have always been done at better then Redbook speeds AFAIKR and so can be considered standard resolution, ??? (I think LOL)

redstang

And I was disagreeing with the caracterization of DSD as "hi-res", but OK, "hi-res" is a meaningless marketing term anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Ok - your first sentence thru me off:

I would argue that DSD is "hi-res"...

Either way, I agree - it's a marketing classification for downloads/streams. "Hi-Res" doesn't equate to being useful in production/mixing. I just think of it being anything that is supposed to be better than CD quality, and DSD is certainly a hi-res/high bitrate lossless format. And actually, download sites even count CD quality FLAC files as hi-res, so when it comes to downloads it is pretty much used as a distinction for anything that isn't lossy.

Again, when I see people touting the need for special cables I haven't noticed them making hi-res files a prerequisite. So far in his video series, Danny hasn't mentioned hi-res, and I'm sure he would argue that "better" cables are noticeable when listening to CDs or even LPs. I also found it interesting that he took a stab at headphone people in a way, because he said you can't be using headphones - you need to be using speakers to really hear the differences in soundstage depth and width that better cables supposedly provide.

raymate

Im waiting for @amirm to test the Supra USB cable, I did purchase one as they are fairly cheap and I liked the colour :) But cant say I hear anything different, my brain tells me its a bit fuller but that's my brain. The other reason I went for it is they claim they are "USB Standard Certified" which I believe means it just has proper shielding to the USB spec. But who knows, they don't show any graphs proving anything is better. I just want to make sure @amirm doesn't find it makes things worse :D but Im sure he's going to say no different from an Amazon Basics which I have on order

redstang

Im waiting for @amirm to test the Supra USB cable, I did purchase one as they are fairly cheap and I liked the colour :) But cant say I hear anything different, my brain tells me its a bit fuller but that's my brain. The other reason I went for it is they claim they are "USB Standard Certified" which I believe means it just has proper shielding to the USB spec. But who knows, they don't show any graphs proving anything is better. I just want to make sure @amirm doesn't find it makes things worse :D but Im sure he's going to say no different from an Amazon Basics which I have on order

Calling the Supra 'fairly cheap' made me wonder, so I searched. 'Cheap' and 'expensive' are relative terms, but I don't know that I'd use cheap to describe $50 for a USB cable when a quality, perfectly functional cable can be had for less than $2. That being said - spending 50 bucks on one time purchase of a cable that you like is no big deal, and I'll be curious to hear if you like it better than the Amazon cable.

Last edited:

raymate

Calling the Supra 'fairly cheap' made me wonder, so I searched. 'Cheap' and 'expensive' are relative terms, but I don't know that I'd use cheap to describe $50 for a USB cable when a quality, perfectly functional cable can be had for less than $2. That being said - spending 50 bucks on one time purchase of a cable that you like is no big deal, and I'll be curious to hear if you like it better than the Amazon cable.
Your right but up here in Canada thats cheap, nothing is cheap for us in Canada. For example nothing relating to this cable subject but I recently wanted a small pocket FM radio, in the US amazon its $20 US (a Sony) for us with TAX I had to pay almost $50 Canadian from a local store (amazon Canada was about the same), even if I was to get it from the US with import and TAX it would be the same if not more as shipping is stupid. And if you reverse that back thats $39 US so we can pay sometimes as much a double for stuff. Not everything of course but most stuff for sure. The cheapest USB AtoB cable I can get on Amazon Canada is $10.99 CND plus TAX so if I convert that back its around $10-11 USD so I agree in that regards its an expensive cable. The only way I can get a cable for $2 is from China direct

mansr

Major Contributor
Your right but up here in Canada thats cheap, nothing is cheap for us in Canada. For example nothing relating to this cable subject but I recently wanted a small pocket FM radio, in the US amazon its $20 US (a Sony) for us with TAX I had to pay almost $50 Canadian from a local store (amazon Canada was about the same), even if I was to get it from the US with import and TAX it would be the same if not more as shipping is stupid. And if you reverse that back thats $39 US so we can pay sometimes as much a double for stuff. Not everything of course but most stuff for sure. The cheapest USB AtoB cable I can get on Amazon Canada is $10.99 CND plus TAX so if I convert that back its around $10-11 USD so I agree in that regards its an expensive cable. The only way I can get a cable for $2 is from China direct
I see dozens of USB cables for under CA$10: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=usb+cable+a+to+b&rh=p_36:-1000

Now when it comes to USB cables, I don't recall ever buying one. There is no need since I have piles of them that came included with various gadgets.

redstang

I see dozens of USB cables for under CA$10: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=usb+cable+a+to+b&rh=p_36:-1000

Now when it comes to USB cables, I don't recall ever buying one. There is no need since I have piles of them that came included with various gadgets.

Ha - now that you mention it - I've never bought one either, and I have a drawer full of them. It boggles the mind. I look at the drawer and think - could I possibly have purchased this many devices over the years, or are they multiplying on their own in the drawer? On the other hand, I've purchased 25 Lightning cables over the years. Funny how those constantly go bad, yet I can't remember a USB cable ever breaking.

mansr

Major Contributor
are they multiplying on their own in the drawer?
That's a distinct possibility. I wonder if mixing different types under the right conditions would produce any interesting hybrids. Then again, perhaps it's best to not try.
forks_and_spoons.png

I can't remember a USB cable ever breaking.
I've had a few break next to the plug, and one or two have disintegrated completely.

Katji

Major Contributor
Regarding Supra USB cables...
Yes USB standard specifies standard for shielding, also min. wire diam. (Which probably relates to power/charging not data.)
I needed a 5m cable.
I will trust Supra manufacturing process + QA rather than random/no-name from random vendor especially phone accessories shop.
There are inexpensive USB [and HDMI] cables Lindy and Ugreen that have good reputation / well-regarded by users.
I do not trust AudioQuest, the most widely-distributed audiophile cables, they can just F off.

I've had a few break next to the plug, and one or two have disintegrated completely.
That is what virtually every USB cable thread/review does not mention. QA re connection/welding of wires to connectors.

"Do USB audio cables make a difference?"
Difference as in what? To audio/sound?
Do they make a difference / is there a difference between audio brand and consumer brand wrt build quality and USB spec.standard?
I don't know / it depends. But I do not trust AudioQuest.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is what virtually every USB cable thread/review does not mention. QA re connection/welding of wires to connectors.
There is a new test for durability which a number of USB (no name) vendors are running and advertising now. I bought one cable and it is super robust now. I use long ones on my tablet and used to break one every 6 months.

7d0b3f44-cc84-45cd-aa1d-6a87bc5f37c9.__CR0,0,1455,900_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

BTW, these right angle ones are cool and can reduce stress on the USB jack on tablet and phones.

mansr

Major Contributor
I've rarely had a USB cable fail electrically. It's the outer insulation that breaks, like this:
image.jpg

Better cables have a semi-rigid strain relief that prevents this kind of damage.

the_hamster 2

As with so much of “audiophile” v. “for-the-proles” cabling, it’s not the use of exotic materials, fancy packaging, or contrived geometries, but simple build quality that is the determining factor...and that is NOT associated with price in most instances.

Top Bottom