• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjetrof

Any progress?
How much will they differ from sound compared to Harbeth 30.2

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Any progress?
How much will they differ from sound compared to Harbeth 30.2
Improved the smoothness of the PIR and directivity.

Also worked on the cabinet damping.

It's been a year sincecI last heard a 30.2., but the Sointuva has a lot more bass impact and punch as well as going down a lot lower. Just generally clearer and more defined in the higher frequencies.

D

Deleted member 65

Grills are a challenge with these drivers due to the surround design and massive excursion.

Once you see them in action the surrounds are fascinating to watch ;)

This grill, best I’ve seen @ great looks ...

1608907513035.jpeg

mSpot

I'm not so sure. Would have to see them in real life. One purpose of grills is to hide the drivers.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'll have to give some thought to a solution.

My personal opinion is with these speakers is, leave the grilles out for the first release. They will only add significant cost/delays and due to the bass driver being a very long throw design, with an already raised surround, the grilles would need to sit ~35mm proud of the baffle. Grilles on high excursion drivers are often audible due to the fabric flapping IME. And you have the otherwise prefectly finished rear. You don't want a grille on the rear to cover the twin PRs, so they are going to be "seen" anyway.

I could be wrong, but I think anyone buying these speakers, knows they are visually different anyway. They won't want to hide them away behind a grille. All my grilles are in bags/boxes (to keep the dust off), not on the speakers.

pma

Major Contributor
My personal opinion is with these speakers is, leave the grilles out for the first release. They will only add significant cost/delays and due to the bass driver being a very long throw design, with an already raised surround, the grilles would need to sit ~35mm proud of the baffle. Grilles on high excursion drivers are often audible due to the fabric flapping IME. And you have the otherwise prefectly finished rear. You don't want a grille on the rear to cover the twin PRs, so they are going to be "seen" anyway.

I could be wrong, but I think anyone buying these speakers, knows they are visually different anyway. They won't want to hide them away behind a grille. All my grilles are in bags/boxes (to keep the dust off), not on the speakers.

I agree, plus the fact that the grilles always change the frequency response.

grille_effect.png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they look good. I'll have to give some thought to a solution.

I’m wondering if the rounded edges of the Sonus Faber style grill would mitigate any diffraction. I’m not an engineer so I’m only speculating.

Seems like a distraction for now though. Also, it’s obvious that what’s really needed once this is out is a dedicated stand with a base that incorporates a 451 mono block, like the old school pioneer exclusives attached;)

Attachments

• 46FA53FD-0CD2-4398-A8C9-3E6A16CD25C8.jpeg
    46FA53FD-0CD2-4398-A8C9-3E6A16CD25C8.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Cujobob

I’m very interested in hearing these, but I’m in Michigan (USA). I have GR research NX Studios, Gedlee Abbeys and Philharmonic Audio Mini Monitors (the recent ones he just took off the site) I could compare with. I’m debating between something like this and the new Philharmonic towers for my next speaker in 2021.

Astroboydivx

I think we can arrange for this :)

Give a few weeks for me to be completely happy with the design and we can sort something out.

With me having a P452, Sydney based and with around $5k to spend in February on speaker upgrades I'm really keen on reading about people's impressions! I'm still to decide what's my best bang-for-buck upgrade from my Kef LS50's. :)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautiful. Sorry if this has already been asked: your wood cabinets are solid wood instead of a veneer? Do you measure any difference compared to the white ones?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sorry if this has already been asked: your wood cabinets are solid wood instead of a veneer?

They are clearly solid wood. MDF has no grain through the routing.

Amazing...

1614515290047.png

Grain tends to run in one direction in my experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom