• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Ok. The issue is I can't say I'll replace all broken headphones publicly. And in the beginning it was the policy so we don't cover the headphones. But later on we figured out that it may be some more serious than we initially thought. So I said please contact us we will treat each case individually. And one guy did and got a couple hundred bucks and he's happy. No one else has contacted me after that. Maybe a couple of them got compensation through some sellers in Europe. But that's all. I was trying my best to make customer happy.
OK, this I can actually understand.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Also, I think you could in some way hold the people who are doing this (selling faulty units after receiving a replacement unit) responsible in some way. Though I imagine this might be a complicated subject. But what you could do is issue a warning with the replacement units, something along the way of "The customer is responsible for destruction of the old unit, and failure to do so might be in violation of this contract and potentially US and other countries' laws". That might make people think twice before engaging in this scam.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Also, I think you could in some way hold the people who are doing this (selling faulty units after receiving a replacement unit) responsible in some way. Though I imagine this might be a complicated subject. But what you could do is issue a warning with the replacement units, something along the way of "The customer is responsible for destruction of the old unit, and failure to do so might be in violation of this contract and potentially US and other countries' laws". That might make people think twice before engaging in this scam.
Not exactly but similar reason was given to the customer when they are asked to destroy the unit.

Tks

Major Contributor
Ok. The issue is I can't say I'll replace all broken headphones publicly. And in the beginning it was the policy so we don't cover the headphones. But later on we figured out that it may be some more serious than we initially thought. So I said please contact us we will treat each case individually. And one guy did and got a couple hundred bucks and he's happy. No one else has contacted me after that. Maybe a couple of them got compensation through some sellers in Europe. But that's all. I was trying my best to make customer happy.

You're already going beyond what you should. You're not an executive, you're not in the legal department to give promises or make proclamations on what the company directive should be.

@Blank Verse is out of his depth on this issue, and conversing with you, as if you're the one that should be telling people that you would replace their headphone for being fried, when warranty claims are usually handled by distributors (and in the case of particular events, the manufacturer works with the distributor for servicing and liaison between customers).

The idea that you (just am amplifier designer) should speak on behalf of the company is insane (unless you moved up in the executive circle of the company). But even then, you wouldn't be speaking on their behalf unless green-lit by the legal team.

Something like making a public statement of "we'll replace any headphone, and fix all defective units anyone has" is idiotic. I could be upset with my headphones currently as they may have channel imbalance, and go and damage them, claiming the Topping device did it. If such a public aforementioned statement was made, Topping would serve as an insurance company, more than an audio company with how many people would potentially be making claims about damaged headphones (if only to get a new one in case theirs isn't to their liking anymore).

Blank Verse, you're talking to the wrong person and speak from ignorance on how affairs of this kind are actually handled. Even if Topping sent users literal shocking devices - where do you imagine John here would be the person to talk to about internal company policies? Him speaking ever on their behalf is a move that could end with him losing his head in the company. So when he does illuminate of company policy as something evolves, take it as someone who here in the US would basically be in breach of NDA as norms are concerned. And as such, you, piling on him like this, doesn't make much sense.

What is it you actually want him, a designer of analogue devices for Topping, to actually himself do? It's not his company, so choose your word carefully.

EDIT: you say:

Also, I think you could in some way hold the people who are doing this (selling faulty units after receiving a replacement unit) responsible in some way. Though I imagine this might be a complicated subject.

Show me what sort of moves other companies do, to where Topping is falling woefully short (or John here is as well). And as for you "imagining" this may be a complicated subject. There's good reason for such intuition. Listen to it.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You're already going beyond what you should. You're not an executive, you're not in the legal department to give promises or make proclamations on what the company directive should be.

@Blank Verse is out of his depth on this issue, and conversing with you, as if you're the one that should be telling people that you would replace their headphone for being fried, when warranty claims are usually handled by distributors (and in the case of particular events, the manufacturer works with the distributor for servicing and liaison between customers).

The idea that you (just am amplifier designer) should speak on behalf of the company is insane (unless you moved up in the executive circle of the company). But even then, you wouldn't be speaking on their behalf unless green-lit by the legal team.

Something like making a public statement of "we'll replace any headphone, and fix all defective units anyone has" is idiotic. I could be upset with my headphones currently as they may have channel imbalance, and go and damage them, claiming the Topping device did it. If such a public aforementioned statement was made, Topping would serve as an insurance company, more than an audio company with how many people would potentially be making claims about damaged headphones (if only to get a new one in case theirs isn't to their liking anymore).

Blank Verse, you're talking to the wrong person and speak from ignorance on how affairs of this kind are actually handled. Even if Topping sent users literal shocking devices - where do you imagine John here would be the person to talk to about internal company policies? Him speaking ever on their behalf is a move that could end with him losing his head in the company. So when he does illuminate of company policy as something evolves, take it as someone who here in the US would basically be in breach of NDA as norms are concerned. And as such, you, piling on him like this, doesn't make much sense.

What is it you actually want him, a designer of analogue devices for Topping, to actually himself do? It's not his company, so choose your word carefully.
I think it was obvious that when I said "you" I meant Topping, the company, and not John Yang. I was addressing John Yang as a representative of the company, and I have no idea what corporate structure Topping has, or who is in charge of what.

Tks

Major Contributor
I think it was obvious that when I said "you" I meant Topping, the company, and not John Yang.

Okay, so what has Topping said, when you attempted contacting them on the issue? (Also, if it's not too much effort, kindly read my edit to the post).

EDIT: Am I mistaken @JohnYang1997 ? Are you now a company representative for Topping and work with PR department? Do you speak for the entire company's directive as Black Verse claims?

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Show me what sort of moves other companies do, to where Topping is falling woefully short (or John here is as well). And as for you "imagining" this may be a complicated subject. There's good reason for such intuition. Listen to it.
When I say "hold responsible" I didn't necessarily mean have Topping sue those people, but rather transfer some of the burden of responsibility to them. It seems that they were already doing something of that nature, issuing a stern warning to the customers who received replacement units to destroy their old units. The reason for this thread is that I found today about 7 eBay auctions of people selling faulty L30 units, nothing more and nothing less. I am sure the people at Topping are glad I brought it to their attention so they can do something about it.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Okay, so what has Topping said, when you attempted contacting them on the issue? (Also, if it's not too much effort, kindly read my edit to the post).

EDIT: Am I mistaken @JohnYang1997 ? Are you now a company representative for Topping and work with PR department? Do you speak for the entire company's directive as Black Verse claims?
You are using the word "representative" in a very particular context. But John is the face of Topping in the forum, regardless of what post he holds in the company. I am sure he has the implicit benediction of his superiors to do so, or otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

As far as what Topping said, I am moderately satisfied with John's intention to look into the issue of faulty units being sold by customers who received replacement units.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think it was obvious that when I said "you" I meant Topping, the company, and not John Yang. I was addressing John Yang as a representative of the company, and I have no idea what corporate structure Topping has, or who is in charge of what.
Actually I am not. I was here a year before I came to Topping. It just that I'm also very active before. Life just falls into its place. And I'm mostly happy where I am now. I like this place I will be contributing to the forum. It actually more like someone from the forum went to Topping to make something good.
Well it's not obvious to the others, people who are already around here early 2019 would certainly know what I'm talking about.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I wonder if ebay has a policy on re-selling

EDIT: you say:

I mostly agree with this, but I don't have any concern with John speaking on behalf of Topping within the constraints of policy.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Actually I am not. I was here a year before I came to Topping. It just that I'm also very active before. Life just falls into its place. And I'm mostly happy where I am now. I like this place I will be contributing to the forum. It actually more like someone from the forum went to Topping to make something good.
Well it's not obvious to the others, people who are already around here early 2019 would certainly know what I'm talking about.
Perhaps not obvious, so I'll say it. I don't have any concern if you speak only on behalf of yourself either, and I assume that's what you're doing unless you say otherwise in a thread.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

It makes sense, I only got interested in improving my audio equipment late last year.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Enforcing the destruction of the unit is easier said than done. And it really comes down to the responsibility of the sellers of the second hand unit themselves.

It's not that hard to do. You just have to have people submit a photograph of the destroyed unit that has their name and date on a slip of paper in the photograph.

That would have stopped a lot of these that are going to slip on to the used market once people get their replacements.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's not that hard to do. You just have to have people submit a photograph of the destroyed unit that has their name and date on a slip of paper in the photograph.

That would have stopped a lot of these that are going to slip on to the used market once people get their replacements.
This is already been done. What's discussed here is the people who refused to do so that cause the problem.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Well, a picture is very easy to counterfeit nowadays. As a matter of fact, I have several pictures in Imgur of myself making out with Cristina Hendricks. What would be much more useful would be a video with the serial number clearly visible before and after the smashing. That might not be as good as having people ship the units to an e-waste facility prior to getting the new unit, but much better than sitting on your hands.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Here's a nice example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303883848889

I just got one of the sellers to cancel his auction. He told me he sold 8 deffective L30 units through Facebook and had 2 left that he was posting in eBay. Wow. He claimed he had no idea about the issue, though. Who has 10 L30 units sitting in their basement and is unaware of the issue? Called me impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom