• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok, this is good timing for me as i know nothing about iems or what to get.

Budget: upto $3k

Form factor: IEM

Use case: Listening at night while reading in bed

Source information: SBT as Roon endpoint feeding Gustard H10

Things that are important to you: No microphonics, dont want to disturb partner

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Loved my HD600 for over 15yrs. Also like stax sr007

Anything else you feel might be relevant: anything that can sound as good as my lx521 speaker setup?

Riez1984

If you're going to use EQ my vote goes to the K702, only reason I say 'if you're using EQ' is that the treble might be a bit much in its stock form as it's probably close in level to the X2HR although the treble on the K702 should be smoother.
@Robbo99999 has a good EQ profile for the K702 and it is soon going to be measured by Oratory who will come up with a standard EQ profile for it.

I can't comment on the longevity of the new Chinese-made models as I only had mine for around a month (returned it to buy a K712) but years ago I had one of the Austrian made versions which I used almost daily for 2-3 years without issue.

Edit: what is a sennheiser HD799? Did you mean HD700?
Sorry, I meant HD599

Riez1984

So you think the k702 will be a good one after my experience with the x2hr? I'm relatively new with all this. I've read here and there and the k702 seems nice. Also because I liked the self adjusting headband from the Fidelio's. Will the Loxjie D30 be good enough? I also see the k612pro for the same price, but this one has a non removable cable and since I will be mostly listen to spotify I want to get a shorter cable so that is possible with the K702 at least. Like I said before I will use the headset mostly for gaming (Witcher 3, BFII, Sea of thieves, CivV6) but also music. I'm a big 80's fan, that's a guilty pleasure and I also like to listen for example Bowie, Prince, Blade runner soundtrack, some jazz, sometimes classical, C&C soundtrack, relaxing nature sounds when I have anxiety, The killers, N.W.A., Katie Melua.... Just to name some very different things I listen too.

Like I said before I'm a little concerned about quality issues because I've read numerous reports of and internal cable breaking and people having to have the send away multiple times for repairs. But I guess I'm gonna be ordering them from Amazon which will replace of refund them if it happens for 2 years. Up untill now they always have when I had a defect product. My x2hr's also got refunded when the hinge broke. If it happens after 2 years I can buy a new pair of headphones, won't be the end of the world since the price is not too high at €120,-

Last edited:
OP
samwell7

samwell7

So you think the k702 will be a good one after my experience with the x2hr? I'm relatively new with all this. I've read here and there and the k702 seems nice. Also because I liked the self adjusting headband from the Fidelio's. Will the Loxjie D30 be good enough? I also see the k612pro for the same price, but this one has a non removable cable and since I will be mostly listen to spotify I want to get a shorter cable so that is possible with the K702 at least. Like I said before I will use the headset mostly for gaming (Witcher 3, BFII, Sea of thieves, CivV6) but also music. I'm a big 80's fan, that's a guilty pleasure and I also like to listen for example Bowie, Prince, Blade runner soundtrack, some jazz, sometimes classical, C&C soundtrack, relaxing nature sounds when I have anxiety, The killers, N.W.A., Katie Melua.... Just to name some very different things I listen too.

Like I said before I'm a little concerned about quality issues because I've read numerous reports of and internal cable breaking and people having to have the send away multiple times for repairs. But I guess I'm gonna be ordering them from Amazon which will replace of refund them if it happens for 2 years. Up untill now they always have when I had a defect product. My x2hr's also got refunded when the hinge broke. If it happens after 2 years I can buy a new pair of headphones, won't be the end of the world since the price is not too high at €120,-
If you're going to use EQ yes for the K702, it can be a little bright, especially with 80s music as some of it is mixed quite bright.
The K612 is supposed to be a little smoother in the treble but has a non-removable cable.

I'm not familiar with the amp but I'm sure it'll be fine, the K702s aren't overly difficult to drive and aren't sensitive to the output impedance of the amp.

Best thing to do (if possible) would be order a few different options and then listen for a while and return the ones that don't suit you.

Any of the AKG K7 series are supposed to be very good for gaming due to the massive soundstage and detail placement.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Ok, this is good timing for me as i know nothing about iems or what to get.

Budget: upto $3k

Form factor: IEM

Use case: Listening at night while reading in bed

Source information: SBT as Roon endpoint feeding Gustard H10

Things that are important to you: No microphonics, dont want to disturb partner

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Loved my HD600 for over 15yrs. Also like stax sr007

Anything else you feel might be relevant: anything that can sound as good as my lx521 speaker setup?
@JohnYang1997, any suggestions?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks guys. IEMs seem like a bit of a knowledge black hole compared to headphones. I was looking up Noble and 64Audio - cant see much science being presented about their designs.

Riez1984

If you're going to use EQ yes for the K702, it can be a little bright, especially with 80s music as some of it is mixed quite bright.
The K612 is supposed to be a little smoother in the treble but has a non-removable cable.

I'm not familiar with the amp but I'm sure it'll be fine, the K702s aren't overly difficult to drive and aren't sensitive to the output impedance of the amp.

Best thing to do (if possible) would be order a few different options and then listen for a while and return the ones that don't suit you.

Any of the AKG K7 series are supposed to be very good for gaming due to the massive soundstage and detail placement.

After a lot debating with myself I think I decided for now I'm going to get a pair of Koss KPH30i and go to more serious headphones later. I'm afraid the k702 will be a letdown for me personally.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Thanks guys. IEMs seem like a bit of a knowledge black hole compared to headphones. I was looking up Noble and 64Audio - cant see much science being presented about their designs.
To be honest I was just going to suggest getting a set of Etymotics, as far as the science behind IEMs go they're a very research-based company and practically invented the IEM.

Even their most expensive model will be miles under your budget, I find their house tuning very neutral but your tastes may vary, they have 'XR' models now with a little more bass.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

After a lot debating with myself I think I decided for now I'm going to get a pair of Koss KPH30i and go to more serious headphones later. I'm afraid the k702 will be a letdown for me personally.
Not a bad idea, I recently got a set of PortaPros and they absolutely blew me away for the price.

I think the KPH30i has a bit less treble than the PortaPro.

habb1

Budget: 1000$-1300$ (800€-1100€)
Form factor: over ear (closed / open)
Use case: enjoying music
sound signature: Clarity with a slam - punchy bass, with sub-bass present.
other comments: Preferably not Sennheiser. Amp will be getting soon, so it will depend on the headphones.

thank you in advance

KR22

What would be the best neutral-sounding closed over-ear headphones for listening to various genres of music in the USA for about $200-$300 coupled with the JDS Atom combo? Already have the MDR-V6 and the DT-770 (250 Ohm).

Budget: $200-$300
Form factor: over-ear, closed-back
Use case: casual listening at home
Source information: PC + JDS Atom DAC & Amp
Things that are important: comfort
Preferred sound signature: neutral
Other headphones I have: SONY MDR-V6, Beyerdynamic DT-770-Pro (250 Ohm)

Last edited:
OP
samwell7

samwell7

What would be the best neutral-sounding closed over-ear headphones for listening to various genres of music in the USA for about $200-$300 coupled with the JDS Atom combo? Already have the MDR-V6 and the DT-770 (250 Ohm).
We probably need a bit more background info! There's a format to follow in the first post, this will help us steer you in the right direction.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Budget: 1000$-1300$ (800€-1100€)
Form factor: over ear (closed / open)
Use case: enjoying music
sound signature: Clarity with a slam - punchy bass, with sub-bass present.
other comments: Preferably not Sennheiser. Amp will be getting soon, so it will depend on the headphones.

thank you in advance
Maybe the Dan Clark Aeon RT? It did fairly well in Amir's review here

will you be using EQ?
It's a price step down but the AKG K712 has decent bass (it surprised me as far as open-back dynamic headphones go) and clarity up top, with EQ it does very well.

Riez1984

Maybe the Dan Clark Aeon RT? It did fairly well in Amir's review here

will you be using EQ?
It's a price step down but the AKG K712 has decent bass (it surprised me as far as open-back dynamic headphones go) and clarity up top, with EQ it does very well.

But isn't AKG a bit of a risk these days? I read reports of mayor problems regarding earcupa not working. They seem to have gone downhill since acquired bij Samsung and production went to China.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

But isn't AKG a bit of a risk these days? I read reports of mayor problems regarding earcupa not working. They seem to have gone downhill since acquired bij Samsung and production went to China.
Yeah I have heard/seen a lot about the issues with the wires disconnecting in the earcup.

I'm not sure if the issue is still prevalent but this should be handled by warranty.

SeaNNyT

I was considering either ZMF Auteur or Fostex Th-909 and was wondering if anyone who might have had hands on time with both could offer opinions?

Smychavo

Budget: $1000

Form Factor: Closed back over ears

Use case: mixed (music video games, videos)

Sound Signature: Clear mids/highs with prominent bass/sub-bass

Other comments: I've only owned the HE-4XX as my 'audiophile' headphones. Liked Amir's EQ over Oratory (sounded a bit like I was listening through a can in some songs) though I'd like something with a bit more low end kick while retaining some mid/high frequency clarity. Been mostly looking at Ether CX, but I'm open to options.

Top Bottom