• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Dave Zan

The recent snow fall in Texas reminded me of the Mazda 323 GTX I had when I was in Dallas.
The GTX was a homologation car for Mazda's rally team- so, turbo-ed DOHC 16 Valve motor, all wheel drive, electronic diff lock controls, available in limited numbers for one year to meet the rules.
The fact that it looked much like an ordinary, slow econo-box and practically no one knew what it was meant I picked it up cheap but had no respect in Texas, home of.... well you know...uhm, heavy vehicles.
And then it snowed...a lot...which the drivers really weren't used to....
My friend and I had a reservation up in the mountains that weekend and there were cars off the freeway every few hundred metres, almost all the way to the state line.
As the freeway turned into a vast car-park we had to be more and more....creative...about where to drive - this lane, that lane, is there a lane? the shoulder, the field- like The Italian Job but with more snow.
Finally, just short of our exit, we ran out of under-body clearance before we ran out of traction.
But it had been so much fun we didn't mind too much that we only almost made it.
Wait, what's that? A smart farmer with a tractor, ready to make a few easy bucks to tow snow bound cars?!
Felt like a gaffed fish towed behind a boat as the car slewed back and forth but that was fun too!
So we made it to the cabin after all and no one dissed the Mazda after that:)

mazda-323-snow.jpg

This is a web pic but looks remarkably like mine, even the snow.
Now the Texas snow storm has reminded me of what a fun car that was.
Sold it 7 years later in California, by then it was a minor cult car and despite all the extra miles I pretty much made my money back.
Hope everyone stays warm and safe despite the weather.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Luxembourgish law actually requires tyres adapted to the weather conditions, so one can get fined for driving with the wrong tyres — and insurance companies, bless their magnanimous hearts —can refuse cover in those circumstances. Lots of garages offer seasonal tyre storage for a reaonable fee.
Here in Michigan Ice/Snow rating is required but most people just run all season tires all year. In Alaska where I grew up, proper winter tires were required. I always swap out proper winter tires. It makes a much bigger difference in performance than 4 wheel drive or anything else, in my experience. In my wife's Suburban with 4 wheel drive, proper snow tires, and lots of weight, performance is incredible. The only yhing that will ever slow you down is other drivers. Actually, even in my 2 wheel drive Prius, there are only a few days a year when I slow down just for weather.

Trouble Maker

Here in Michigan Ice/Snow rating is required....

That can't be everywhere in Michigan right, maybe just the uppers and maybe parts over by the lake?

1614088048676.png

I've been talking with friends for about 15 years about making it up to Mt. Bohemia sometime. It's a haul to get up there!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
That can't be everywhere in Michigan right, maybe just the uppers and maybe parts over by the lake?
I've been talking with friends for about 15 years about making it up to Mt. Bohemia sometime. It's a haul to get up there!
Most standard year-round all season tires like you get stock on any normal car meet the requirement here, but you aren't supposed to run strictly summer rated tires like you might get for a sports car in the winter, in my understanding. Personally I choose to run proper winter tires, mostly because I like the superior performance. I live in the 80 inch part, but I travel to the 160 inch part in the Winter.

symphara

Since this is an audio-focused forum, here's my contribution :p

car_interior.jpg

big_car_interior.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
needs a tweeter at the base of the A pillar

digicidal

Major Contributor
needs a tweeter at the base of the A pillar
Actually the tweeters (in the piece just in front of the door handle) work pretty well IMO - at least in the couple I tried with the Burmester system (Cayman and Macan). At the very least, they were a huge step up from the BOSE standard option.

In most OEM component systems I've heard (unless further optimized by very expensive aftermarket DSP and amplification) - it's actually a bit worse as far as coherency than good coaxial speakers can be (certainly no better). It's like building a tower speaker with the tweeter at the top and the mid and woofer at the very bottom... and then sitting off-center less than 12" from the closest one. :eek:

Of course, even the Burmester option didn't sound good enough for me to pay for it - so YMMV. I would have to say it at least sounded pretty fantastic for an OEM solution - and a bit better subjectively than the ML system in my RCF. Both absolutely destroyed the garbage JBL "premium" system in my Supra however. :mad:

Although extensive (and likely expensive) DSP implementations can mitigate much of the phase and timing issues related to the positioning... there's still just something audibly wrong (to me at least) about the upper drivers being separated by more than an inch or two at most. Subs can go almost anywhere (including under the seats)... but the tweeter and midrange should always be "joined at the hip". Then again micro satellite systems don't bother some people either... so maybe my $0.02 is only worth half that amount. ;)

While far too ugly for my taste... if you have something like this...
1614396633793.png

then the A-pillar is perfectly fine for use. LOL.

Last edited:

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Tubbed w shortened dana suicide doors, small block chev air bags etc...loved and hated it.....wish I still had it

digicidal

Major Contributor
@Duraace9sp - Between the distortion of the lens, the difference in bag drop (front to rear), the mountains in the background and the slope of the driveway - that's a very disturbing photo. But it's a beautiful truck... looks like a lot of work (and money) went into that build. :)

symphara

And a proper manual transmission!
It‘s not actually available on either of the two cars there. And I’ll disagree with you as well. While I understand the pleasure of shifting manually - I learned on manual, owned and drove manual for a long time - there’s a lot to be said for the ability to always keep your hands on the wheel. Apart from that it‘s wife-friendly and far more practical, which is important since my cars are not museum pieces but essentially daily drivers*.

(*) before and hopefully after covid-19

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
@Duraace9sp - Between the distortion of the lens, the difference in bag drop (front to rear), the mountains in the background and the slope of the driveway - that's a very disturbing photo. But it's a beautiful truck... looks like a lot of work (and money) went into that build. :)

....yes.....many poor decisions....but when you stood back and looked it was rare (shorty 1947) and a head Turner - I still think it was one of the coolest “looking” trucks I’ve seen.......no one knew

thx

olive00

My dream is to buy is Subaru Outback 2020. This is a Japanese off-road wagon. Its excellent off-road capabilities, practicality and reliability make it one of the best options in the estate segment in the world. Plus, travelers and lovers of an active lifestyle, like me, can easily equip Outback with regular ("Subaru") trunk organizers and other devices that allow you to transport bicycles, kayaks and even cargo containers on it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was a kid one of my friend's parents had near-matching Acura Legends. If memory serves his was a black coupe and hers was a white sedan. I remember that because I thought it was kind of silly for parents to intentionally have basically the same car at the time. Now we have been them for the past couple weeks:
IMG_3256 2.jpeg

"His" is the white 7 seat long range AWD Model Y, "hers" is the blue RWD long range Model 3

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

A good friend just got almost the same model Y @jhaider but in blue with the blackish grey wheels. Looks like the same color scheme as your better halves model 3. They have 4 kids ('her' car is a Highlander) and he had a kind of dying Fit, so he'd been checking their site every day for the three row to become available. He drove it over and I got to drive it a month or two ago, really nice car!

Top Bottom