• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ready to mount drivers and wire it up!

130AECD5-5FE5-48FF-B252-869BF98B21D3.jpeg

tuga

Major Contributor
Not sure exactly what you are proposing, but suggest you start a new thread and post a pic or two. Bluefuzz has a point if you are hoping others will build, but if it is what I wanted, would not stop me. ;)

My wife would like if the sound just appeared from thin air! Until this is possible, will have different designers building what they prefer and we have a whole thread devoted to ugly ones. If you need a litmus test, look there and see if your concept matches any of them. I also posted this thread based on AudioXpress article on future speaker directions and it includes some unusual pieces.

In-walls with white grills. Has your wife seen them?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In-walls with white grills. Has your wife seen them?

I kid about my wife.;) She tolerates a lot actually and approved of the CBT24s.

Says she likes little in-wall speakers, but any big ones, "would find my body buried inside the wall with them". :D

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Readying for the fun part...

6717F57C-C0C0-4A51-A583-6575903C053F.jpeg

Still needs a port, but dog is limping and needs to see a vet yet today!:eek:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hoping to get in some quick measurements with older equipment later today.

Will be upgrading microphone and minidsp over the weekend.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More importantly, how's the pup?

Hopefully fine thanks!

He has a swollen hind dew claw. Vet prescribed some anti-inflammatory meds and we are monitoring the situation...

BBF07F02-4D93-4AC0-A61D-86A9A624C729.jpeg

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial in-cabinet measures are done...

Directiva Stock Denovo - gated driver fr.png

These are 1m, on-tweeter-axis, 3ms gate. The original 2.4 kHz crossover target still looks like a good start.

Will get the minidsp wired in and try it out. Looks as though the DXT will need a lift above 8 kHz, but is smooth and should be readily addressed. As anticipated, a quick distortion check was very clean and did not reveal any problem areas. :)

P.S. Shame on me for not stating initially (although obvious). Red trace is Purifi woofer and green is the Seas DXT tweeter.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it will not.
After padding down (probably by 8-9 dB), applying the HP filter (2K4, presume LR24?) and some EQ for the cca 1K8 bump, it fill even out nicely.

There is a 10 dB difference between 20k and 2k. This is obviously not perfect.

Draki

The difference can be up to 10 dB yes, depends on how much tilt down will be adopted at the end.
Below is a quick simulation - based on the initial measurements on axis only (tweeter level) just to show the rough matching. The proper multi axis measurements are needed for a final xo design of course. The digital platform used is miniDSP, since that is what I understand will be used.
Note a delay has been applied in this sim and may not be needed in the final design.

Attachments

• ASR.PNG
    ASR.PNG
    75.4 KB · Views: 268
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am still trying some different approaches, but there is more than one good answer and will need fancier measurements to know which is “best”. That may have to wait until Amir initially tests and we send him an adjusted configuration. This is one of the advantages of using an active crossover. :)

Am trying to push higher system sensitivity with my filters, but am working with a noisier electronics chain at the moment and higher gain means more noise (mainly hiss). Should get my minidsp HD over the weekend and will replace my old Dayton amp with a Hypex.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The minidsp HD just arrived (slightly after my son's new Fender acoustic). :cool:

As he is busy training my hearing on what live music is like, may be a day or two before I can get family to tolerate speaker sweep tones again! Weather is warming here too, so washed the wife's car today. Will see what tomorrow is like, supposed to get some rain but otherwise, may cut some baffles outside...

Digital_Thor

I play with an active version of a 3 way with subs right now. The DXT can easily be EQ'ed to match most midranges. I use an 5" alu from an AE speaker, but would otherwise use one from SB, Seas or Dayton.

Curves are quickly taken at an on-axis and around 15 and 30 degrees. Cuts are inspired deeply from Heissmann-acoustics - but roughly made with a handsaw.
DSC03734.JPG

DXT FR with AE Midrange 2 (Medium).jpg

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Am trying to push higher system sensitivity with my filters
Why? A better frequency response is much more important and the speaker don't seems to have some problems where a higher positive peak filter would decrease the max spl.

I would suggest to start with making tweeter and woofer individually as linear as possible at about 10° of axis and check if there are problems of axis also use some variations on the vertical and horizontal axis. The Tweeter should be linear from 1,3kHz to 20kHz and the woofer from 200Hz (dependent of the quality of your measurements) to 3,8kHz. Use parametric filter (also the decreasing slopes should be equalizes). Than the highpass and lowpass should work as expected and you can much easier try some different crossover frequencies. Be careful not to damage the tweeter with low frequency content while measuring.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? A better frequency response is much more important and the speaker don't seems to have some problems where a higher positive peak filter would decrease the max spl.

I would suggest to start with making tweeter and woofer individually as linear as possible at about 10° of axis and check if there are problems of axis also use some variations on the vertical and horizontal axis. The Tweeter should be linear from 1,3kHz to 20kHz and the woofer from 200Hz (dependent of the quality of your measurements) to 3,8kHz. Use parametric filter (also the decreasing slopes should be equalizes). Than the highpass and lowpass should work as expected and you can much easier try some different crossover frequencies. Be careful not to damage the tweeter with low frequency content while measuring.

Because I want them to be able to be driven by a lower cost power amplifier than it otherwise might.

Directiva is an open platform project. If you choose to do something different, it is your choice. It is likely I will make a different choice for the optimized version, but we can still test small changes to measure how much difference they make. :)

Last edited:

buz

Forum Donor
What do you foresee as a 'target' amp?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because I want them to be able to be driven by a lower cost power amplifier than it otherwise might.
I don't want to ague, do whatever you like, but I think there is no problem with eq and an amp with low power. Or are we speaking of low frequency extension with an eq? This can be a problem if the amp hasn't much power. Since it is a dsp crossover you can try everything what you want easily.

Top Bottom