• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room modes/standing waves - most cost effective solution?

NewShoes

For a 2.1 set up, if you wanted to eliminate bass peaks and dips (room modes) and only had $1000 to spend, would the money be better spent adding a 2nd sub, or buying advanced EQ like Dirac full? (Room treatment is not an option)

I currently have an avr with audesseyXT, which definitely does a decent job but I still have a 63hz peak.

My stereo is in an open plan living area which means the listening area is very large. Is Dirac useful at correcting frequency response over large areas, or it really only beneficial if you’re sitting in a particular spot?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For a 2.1 set up, if you wanted to eliminate bass peaks and dips and only had $1000 to spend, would the money be better spent adding a 2nd sub, or buying advanced EQ like Dirac full? (Room treatment is not an option)

I currently have an avr with audesseyXT, which definitely does a decent job but I still have a 63hz peak.

My stereo is in an open plan living area which means the listening area is very large. Is Dirac useful at correcting frequency response over large areas, or it really only beneficial if you’re sitting in a particular spot?
You can most likely do a better job at pulling down peaks with EQ than sub positioning.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It’s a svs sb1000
If it was me, I would sell your SB-1000 and get 2 of Monoprice Monolith 10 THX for US$1000.
Look at my subwoofer comparison post to understand the difference btw your sub and this one.

Or if you're set at keeping it, get another one for US$500 to match the output.

Dual subs solve your problem with room modes.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Room correction cannot deal with nulls due to room modes. Buy the second sub.

OP
N

NewShoes

thanks everyone. Sounds like most votes are in favour of a 2nd subwoofer over Dirac.

the monoprice monolith suggestion looks interesting but unfortunately they’re too big for my space. I’m generally happy with the performance of the sb-1000, I just wanted to smooth out the room modes across the large listening area.

Top Bottom